Felony conviction and dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owusu

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a stupid mistake when I was 18 of using someone's credit card. I ened up getting convicted for a felony unauthorized use of credit card. Will this conviction prevent me from being accepted into a dental school. All inputs welcome.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You must be honest! Dental schools will view your application as a whole, your moral character, profession motivation, and academic excellence. A felony sounds and looks bad, but it all depends what kind of felony! In your case, it's better than a drug or murder charge!

Some dental schools do screen applicants and check their criminal backgrounds. Best to be honest on your applications and if the dental school is interested to find out more about your felony, then they can invite you for an interview to talk about it!! :D

I don't think they will deny you simply based on your "felony".

Good luck

You may want to investigate your state's dental license standards. I'm not a 100% sure but I think some state do not allow convicted felons to have the license to prescribe meds or perform surgeries. I'm not sure if certain convictions are more acceptable in terms of getting your license---so check it out before you send out applications.

Thank you guys for your inputs, I intend on disclosing this to any school that I apply to.