Felony?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious_Joe*

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to med school next year but have a major concern. When I was 17 I was convicted of a felony (Robbery) for "stealing" a T-shirt. It was a huge misunderstanding but that doesn't matter any more. I was wondering if that would seriously hurt my chances of being accepted to med school and becoming a doctor. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

what happened exactly that made the outcome so messed up?

Well...if you were 17 then it should be off your record. I'd consult an attorney about it though because the med schools will do a record check on you. Also you cannot obtain a medical license if you've been convicted of a felony (so do your homework)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though it should be off of your record...stealing is only a mistameanor.

Originally posted by jennyw17

Unless somehow it's a $3000 t-shirt or whatever it takes to step up to larceny (felony). But that confused me too...I mean petty theft is a misdemenor unless you throw in some armed robbery, agg. assault, or up the dollar value a heck of a lot (Wynona Ryder was convicted of felony theft, and that was like $5xxx).

I would definately try to get that taken off (why is it there anyways?) your permanent record b/c you were only 17.

Originally posted by jennyw17

However, robbery can be a felony. Robbery is larceny + assault, at least in the common law.

Actuallly, the definition of robbery is dependent on state statute. Generally, the statutes define it as stealing with the intent to use force. It is a felony.

Stealing a t-shirt with nothing else, i.e. carrying a gun, is larceny. Since t-shirts cost so little, the crime would be petite larceny, which is not a felony.

Burglary is entering dwelling with the intent to steal. It varies between states w/ it is a felony.

don't most schools ask for any major crime convictions outside of traffic tickets, including misdemeanors? i think u of vermont even asked for traffic violations. does anyone know if schools actually check up on this?

in a lot of states 17 is no longer considered juvenile - i remember in Mass the law is written something like "adults are considered those in their 18th year" which starts when you turn 17. i'd definitely talk to a lawyer to see what you can do to get that off of your record.

Originally posted by Bodybuilder
Burglary is entering dwelling with the intent to steal. It varies between states w/ it is a felony.

In the common law, burglary also involves the cover of night, but I don't know how many statutes take that into account.

i would confirm the type of conviction...whether it will be/should be removed from your record within any given amount of time (someone i know had a 'driving to endanger' and it came off her record in 3 years)...and then, if necessary, explain it in one sentence in your personal statement. i think that it should definitely be touch upon there.

as far as not being able to practice? it just doesn't seem right that you can get caught stealing a t-shirt at 17 and can't be a doctor but if you get a dui when well over 21, you can become president of the united states. i would check into that...

hope this helps...

just do a little digging...

joe,

this happens to the best of us...write a bad check, swipe a stick of gum. you received good advise. search online for criminal history in your state, call, pay $10, get yours and i bet it's clean. but from my unexpert experience stealing is a misdemeanor.

Originally posted by gipper
as far as not being able to practice? it just doesn't seem right that you can get caught stealing a t-shirt at 17 and can't be a doctor but if you get a dui when well over 21, you can become president of the united states. i would check into that...

Hehehe...well, it's easier to be President if your dad is George Bush and your grandfather is Prescott Bush, and you've basically been spoon-fed into Yale and Harvard B-School with the rest of your elite friends... That was why his speech at Yale's Commencement in '01 was sort of ridiculous when he said that even a C-student can be president...

Originally posted by Random Access
Hehehe...well, it's easier to be President if your dad is George Bush and your grandfather is Prescott Bush, and you've basically been spoon-fed into Yale and Harvard B-School with the rest of your elite friends... That was why his speech at Yale's Commencement in '01 was sort of ridiculous when he said that even a C-student can be president...

Thats because there is a ridiculous amount of nepotism and cronyism in politics and business.

Convenient that Bush's failed business ventures, even though lofted by his family, still failed. No surprise the US economy is where it is at, when people are willing to accept failure as long as their position in society is ensured.

Originally posted by Curious_Joe*
I am considering applying to med school next year but have a major concern. When I was 17 I was convicted of a felony (Robbery) for "stealing" a T-shirt. It was a huge misunderstanding but that doesn't matter any more. I was wondering if that would seriously hurt my chances of being accepted to med school and becoming a doctor. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

This will probably hurt your chances at a number of schools, but I don't think it's impossible to get into medical school or get licensed as a result. You will probably have to report it at many schools, but maybe not all schools. It will depend on what state you were convicted in and what your exact sentence was. I used to be a prosecuting attorney and I am fairly familiar with the criminal laws in a few states. For example, if you pled guilty to robbery in Missouri there is a chance you might not have to report the robbery to schools. But this is probably unlikely. It will depend on the exact sentence you received and courts usually take robberies pretty seriously because they are considered violent crimes. So, you will most likely have to tell every school about this conviction. You might want to talk to a pre-med advisor about this, but I think the best approach is to be completely upfront and honest about the whole thing. Since this incident will most likely come up anyway, I would address it in your personal statement. I also think the best approach is to own up to any culpability you had, and state how much you have learned and grown from the experience. I know you say that the whole incident was a "misunderstanding," but I fear characterizing it in this manner may work against you in the application process. Adcomm's might see this as not owning up to your past mistakes. How much responsibility you need to take might depend on how the case was resolved, but if you pled guilty instead of pleading no contest, making an Alford plea, or taking the case to trial, then you have (in every state that I'm aware of) admitted under oath that you committed the crime. Consequently, I think it will only hurt you if you try to avoid responsibility for the crime in such a scenario. There is a high likelihood the schools will have access to the court records (it will depend on the juvenile laws in the state you were convicted in and what your sentence was -- but in Missouri and several other states 17 makes you an adult). In any event, I suggest you talk to a pre-med advisor, possibly the admission directors at schools you are interested in, and a lawyer in the state you were convicted in. You may also want to check with the state licensing body and the national board certification body for the state and specialty you are interested in.

After making this long post, and being a lawyer, I feel compelled to tell you that since I don't know the facts of your case, the exact nature of your conviction, or the state it occurred in, you should not consider what I have stated as legal advice you can definitively rely on. (Nor would I rely on the statements of other SDNers. This is too important, and you want to handle it correctly). However, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the matter in more detail.