Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Felt like crap after taking the MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by badasshairday, May 14, 2007.

1. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    So I took the May 11 MCAT and I really don't feel like I did so hot. It is really weird because on my practice exams I was consistantly getting 32-34 with a few 35's once and a while. The difference between me getting a 32 and a 34/35 was my VR. If I could pull a 10 on VR I could get a 34/35.

Anyways, my VR was always my weak point but my sciences were VERY solid, always a 12 PS and 13 BS or even 14! For some reason on my real MCAT I just felt like things were not clicking at all on the sciences. I felt like I was getting screwed over by fudging with my units in the PS and some questions just didn't make sense... Then on the BS, I just was not confident at all. This lack of confidence on some of the questions just worries me. I am usually very confident on the sciences and not confident on the VR. However, on test day, I felt most confident on VR and finished it up (I usually have to guess on one passage but this time I didn't and that was usually my difference between getting an 8 or a 10 on my practice tests).

I don't know. I just feel scared and worried. It really did not feel like another practice test for me. I'm thinking about signing up for a retake... I wanted to at least hit a 32 since I am from Cali and its very competitive to get into the UC's. Now I serously just hoping to break 30.

Has anyone else felt like thsi about the real MCAT? Or did I really just mess up?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. flaahless

flaahless 10+ Year Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I feel your pain. I am also from cali and I was pulling 12's and 13's easy on the PS and BS. My verbal was always my weak point. I scored an 11 once and my score went from a 34 to a 37. But when I took the REAL test, I finished verbal easy. But my strong point, the BS, seemed to be a lot harder than I expected. Mainly because I was not as confident as I usually am.

Most people don't feel as confident about the real thing as they were about the practice tests. Which is understandable. I get my scores on Wednesday and I've been trying to tell myself I did fine. We'll see. I just want to stay in Cali man, i'm not trying to leave!

4. govhonors

govhonors New Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2006
    i'm sure you guys did fine...most ppl who took the may 11th exam weren't comfortable with the science sections anyway, so there should be a decent curve (if you even missed that many lol). hold your head up! :)

5. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    This is not the time to worry... it's time to breathe a sigh of relief that you got through that monster! If you're applying for this admissions cycle, take time to focus on other aspects of your application... LORs, PS, etc.

From experience, it seems like feeling rather dejected is usually a good indicator that you gave it everything you've got. You are not alone. :)

Best of :luck: to you!

-MSTPbound

6. DRPL

DRPL 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, from what I can see that test threw everyone off....glad I am not alone. Nothing to do now but wait.....Shall we start our own countdown?

7. nateholman

nateholman New Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    MDApps:

Dude, I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I was scoring 34-36 on my practice tests and felt confident going in. I got ROCKED! The verbal was all a blur to me with nothig making clear sense. THe sciences were notably harder than the practice tests as well. I guess I'll probably retake as I don' t think I even broke my lowest practice score of 30. Die MCAT, die.

8. zanzounita

zanzounita Int'l Woman of Mystery 5+ Year Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Tx
    You are definitely NOT alone..I was consisitantly scoring 30's on my last practice tests...but the real thing was not the same. I should've taken some kind of medication to relax or even a glass of wine.

I am even thinking about starting to study again for the next exam.

9. max_poWER

max_poWER 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    I'm joining the club too. I felt so confident about the PS section coming into the test and was sure I had all the concepts down, but when the stupid calculation questions weren't coming out right my confidence went down the drain, which really screwed me over for the rest of the section.

But I was thinking, it seems to me that everyone thought the sciences were really hard and that the verbal section was very doable, so does that mean that the verbal curve is going to be very harsh on us this time around? This makes me very worried....:scared: :scared:

10. pauven

pauven Sir Patchwork 7+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    NY
    MDApps:
    hey man

i just want to say that I too feel like complete and utter crap after that physical science section. i mean I went in adrenaline pumping and the questions just kept deflating my confidence. i thought i would be celebrating now, after my finals and mcat, but i am in a state of constant worrying. i mean my PS was never 15 or 14 on practice exams, but i consistently got around 10 or above. But if you were to put me on a game show and ask me to best predict my PS score after that MCAT, i'd honestly say it felt like a 6 or 7

11. EBizzle

EBizzle 10+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Can I join too?

I am in the exact same (and now sinking) boat as each of you in terms of making a 30-34 each practice test from AAMC 5 through 10. Now, several hundred dollars later and two weeks to the day before I head on what I thought was going to be a great mission trip, all I have is this looming uncertainty that will hang over me until I get back.

I think a lot of us are so "upset" because we worked so hard and thought, which is evidently the operative word, things were going to go easier than planned.

Commiserating...now

12. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Its just crazy how much we study for this exam and how much material we cover yet it all comes down to simply a few hours and maybe 20-30% of what we studied at most...

13. msa786

msa786 5+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    considering that over 95% of the people i spoke with who took the May 11th exam are either retaking or found it too difficult..i assume the curve will be pretty decent don't worry guys n gals we will make it n do fine..just pray for that CURVE which is all we can count on right now!!!!!

14. aimster

aimster 2+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    I totally agree! My calculations were not working either. On one of them I was determined to get it to work but gave up after investing way too much time. I'm preparing myself for a 6! I can't even think about studying again for it!!!

15. HristosKaran

HristosKaran Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2006
    You guys really shouldn't worry about it since the consensus is the test was EXTREMELY DIFFICULT! The curve will definitely come into play and I'm sure you all will receive better scores then you think ;) . If you don't mind me asking, how prevalent was kinematics on the May 11th MCAT? Because that is something I am definitely weak in and need to improve on. (I know this will not correlate with my exam coming up in the near future, but just curious.)

16. aimster

aimster 2+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    It's all a blur! I'm pretty sure it was on there...know it : )

17. Surf Rx

Surf Rx 7+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Is it just me, or did the verbal passages seem longer than the ones on the practice CBTs?

18. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit 5+ Year Member

I certainly felt like taking a crap after the MCAT...

19. HristosKaran

HristosKaran Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I've heard this from pretty much everyone, which worries me because I'm already stressed for time as it is. If the passages are longer but easier, I'll be fine. But if they are longer and more difficult...:mad:

20. Surf Rx

Surf Rx 7+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I certainly felt like it took a crap on me.

21. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I was scoring low...like mid 20s in my practices. Coming out of the exam I felt like crap =( Except in Verbal I felt ok and the writing.

22. SketchLazy

SketchLazy 5+ Year Member

May 16, 2007
    Well whatever you do, don't be scared, panic or worry. Trust me on this one. I took the April 12th MCAT, and after the test I didn't feel too well about how I did on the test. In fact, 'not too well' would be an understatement. The scores don't come out for a whole month and that is a long time to worry about how you did on an important test. You just took a huge test. It's done. There's no point in worrying when your score will be what it will be. Do whatever possible to forget your feelings of uncertainty and worry or they will compound up until you see your score. Work on you application in the meantime. Luckily, MCAT scores and GPA don't sell themselves. Work on your application and selling yourself as a strong applicant. Or if you can't do that because it reminds you of the MCAT or you feel you can't fill out the AMCAS without knowing your MCAT, go on vacation. Do something totally different. Anything. You might not have done as bad as you think you did. I know everyone's different, but I felt the same way coming out of that test. My scores turned out pretty well and yours might not have been bad either. Luckily a test-taker's feelings don't play a role in the score. 'Cuz...IT IS WHAT IT IS!'

You can plan ahead and sign up right now before you even get the results and start studying. But will you be able to study with the whole uncertainty of how you did hanging over your head? I tried that and it lasted a total of 3 minutes. There are plenty of test taking dates now, so do you really need to take your 2nd MCAT as soon as possible? Because if you do retake you HAVE to get a better score. If you feel you can't do that or aren't prepared yet, there is no point.

Anyway, Good luck and I'll see you in med school.