Female: Can I bring a purse/briefcase looking bag to an interview?

Sep 5, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I have heard not to bring a purse, but realistically I am traveling out of state to all of my interviews. For one interview I am driving with my mom and she will be dropping me off and picking me up after, I will need my phone to call her once the tour and such is over, and phones now are huge and it will look tacky in my pant pocket. I need my phone on me (turned off of course) and my keys and something to take notes on, I am planning to bring a professional briefcase looking bag. What are the thoughts on this? Is this really a no-no?

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
Absolutely, you can bring whatever, plenty of people come from hundreds of miles away. What the admin of the school usually does is have everyone pile all of their stuff together before the day begins and they will keep track of it. Sometimes the admin will move it to a safe room or something, or they will just keep it all there and have everyone grab their stuff on the way out. Its definitely not something to really worry about. This is true for both MD and DO schools ( I work at an MD school and have interviewed at DO schools).

Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Absolutely, you can bring whatever, plenty of people come from hundreds of miles away. What the admin of the school usually does is have everyone pile all of their stuff together before the day begins and they will keep track of it. Sometimes the admin will move it to a safe room or something, or they will just keep it all there and have everyone grab their stuff on the way out. Its definitely not something to really worry about. This is true for both MD and DO schools ( I work at an MD school and have interviewed at DO schools).
Do you happen to know if, say, I bring both a portfolio case for papers/materials/note taking, and a purse - could I drop off my purse with the school but be able to access it during breaks whenever I need to? And keep the portfolio with me during presentations?

Reactions: dcguthrie7

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, they are accommodating. They understand you are coming from all over. They won't play keep-away with your purse, you can access it. No one will think you're a crazy person or potentially bad doctor.

Reactions: dcguthrie7

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
Do you happen to know if, say, I bring both a portfolio case for papers/materials/note taking, and a purse - could I drop off my purse with the school but be able to access it during breaks whenever I need to? And keep the portfolio with me during presentations?
You should be able to do that. I saw some people with little notebooks and portfolio things on my interview days, I personally never saw the use in it. They tend to give you packets with all the info you need. Usually how schools will do it is like have a big chunk of presentations and tour and then interviews, or the other way around - interviews and then tours and presentations. So either way you will usually know what is coming and will have a chance to drop whatever off and/or pick stuff up.

You dont necessarily get "breaks" per se, because they tend to sort of keep you busy and usher you all over the place. But like so far every school I have gone to is extremely accommodating and reasonable. So if you need to run to the restroom or drop something off or whatever, they are absolutely cool with it.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Yes

I have heard not to bring a purse, but realistically I am traveling out of state to all of my interviews. For one interview I am driving with my mom and she will be dropping me off and picking me up after, I will need my phone to call her once the tour and such is over, and phones now are huge and it will look tacky in my pant pocket. I need my phone on me (turned off of course) and my keys and something to take notes on, I am planning to bring a professional briefcase looking bag. What are the thoughts on this? Is this really a no-no?