Female Dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there

Could somebody please tell me for the interviews - if carrying a handbag is kind of normal ?? or does it make it look a bit like non-hardworking intern ?

I am used to carrying my laptop bag, but for these interviews I dont see myself carrying this bag.. or a brief I haven't carried one before...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have just been on a few interviews, but I did see one or two applicants carry a purse. I am not sure why a purse would make it seem that one was less hard-working, but I carried a zippered notebook (Office Max, $15-25 leather-like material) which I thought worked pretty well. I was able to store all the papers that they gave us during the day in it. The Iserson book also recommends this although it doesn't go into why a purse would be bad, it says "a leather zippered case, attache case, or leather-bound zippered notebook connotes power and authority"

Hope this was what you were looking for. Good luck with the Match!

Although I can't comment on the opinions of housestaff, I can report from my interviews that carrying a purse or laptop bag around gets really old really fast! For one thing, the tour guides will whip you around corners, down hallways and through throngs of patients. You'd have a hard enough time keeping up with a thin leather folder let alone a big clunky carry-all. I asked some girls about it and all of them were wishing they hadn't brought along their purses by the end of the day. For makeup, I just put my lipstick and blush in my suit pockets. They were thin enough that they didn't make a wrinkle in my suit and I could touch up my makeup after lunch. Good luck!

It is during times like these that I'm glad I'm male -

Cheers to those of you who not only have to stress over the impending interviews, but also have to content with many issues that i am completely oblivious to...

BTW - I, too, am considering a briefcase (or the like) for interviews next year, as I thnk it is a very stylish way to present (obtain?) other documents which may come up during interview talks (CV, Reprints, etc).

Alpha male or not - I think it kinda looks cool?

Am I alone?

Airborne

Well yeah it looks cool, but again your hand will be tired by the end of the day. I'd vote for a leather folder - it's less trouble to keep up with and looks just as (if not more) professional. Also guys! Please don't ruin a nice looking Armani suit with scuffed loafers! Put on your dress shoes!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for those comments, I am polishing my leather like zippered note book ready for next Monday.

Could somebody please tell me about the dress- Only because I graduated from overseas and I get nervous when I am overdressed usually - For normal interviews I have half skirt + Jacket ( Proper suit).

But, I have one semiformal interview on a non interview day, a hospital askes me to turn up at 7 am, join the wardrounds, noon conferance and then a interview with the PD around 1.30 pm. I dunno what to wear :confused:
Yes, I have a white coat with me with my name badge.
The Question is probably Do I wear a proper jacket or just a skirt and blouse/ jumper ??

Hi Jani-

You will always look appropriate (not overdressed) during a hospital interview (even one in a less formal setting) if you wear a dark (black, navy blue) professional suit. I have seen a mixture of women in pants and skirts on my interviews. I would also wear closed-toe conservative shoes and pantyhose as well. The suit you described sounds fine.

I think either folders or purses can work well; depends how much you like to carry. A purse with a strap long enough that it can hang on your shoulder has worked well for me- it doesn't weigh down or bother me at all.

Good luck! :)

I carry nothing.

i carry a black messenger bag with a copy of my CV (i don't know why; i haven't given it out to one person yet. they all have it in front of them). it's also good to keep all your folders and brochures they give you.

personally, i'm more of the practical type. if a program doesn't like that, then i wouldn't want to go there.

Originally posted by pba

7) Avoid the PD at all costs
11)Never carry a portfolio
12)Never have extra copies of CVs, essays, etc

-pba

The reasons for these escape me. Perhaps you could explain, pba?

Originally posted by pba

if you have any other questions, i would be happy to answer them. i am also very open to criticism and do accept that I likely have an extremely flawed world-view.

-pba

Thanks for your response, pba. All the best on the interview trail. :)

Originally posted by pba
I will admit I have a flaw: When the PD is down to earth, or if they are interviewing you. AND i have seen some down to earth PDs at some programs (example = Temple).

Yeah, the PD will pretty much rule your life for the next 5 yrs - so making sure they are down-to-earth is a good rule of thumb...

11. Never carry a portfolio
Having a portfolio is an arbitrary rule. This rule signifies my adamant desire to do away with the brainwashing of the authorities that be.

Yeah but don't you want to look *smoooth*?? ;)

Formality signifies distance.
Most surgery applicants aint that chill.
I dont know if they are just nervous, anxious, or robotic. too much slurping is a sign of decreased pride.

Yeah well, surgeons tend to be uptight people. The anesthesia guys seem to be the most laid-back. I would have done that if their job wasn't so got-dang boring.

if you have any other questions, i would be happy to answer them. i am also very open to criticism and do accept that I likely have an extremely flawed world-view.

Aw pba! We love you *because* of your extremely flawed views! Don't change.... :clap:

Originally posted by pba
3) Never send thank you letters
Interesting. If we don't hear back from an applicant after an interview, we presume they are not very interested in our program and place them at the bottom of the rank list. I can't think of if we've ever highly ranked someone who didn't call or write back to confirm their interest.

I think the unwritten rule after interviews is that, if you are highly interested, you will make that known.

Even if it's not cooool .:rolleyes: :p

On a slightly different note, how do you all feel about wearing a suit OTHER than dark blue or black? I have a light grey suit which looks professional, classic. However I have only been on one interview so far and everyone else was wearing black. Just wondering if this is messing with the trend or does it matter at all?

I hate looking like I'm going to a funeral - light gray is fine. Personally, my suits have ranged in color from merlot to chocolate brown. As long as you look clean, neat and well-kept, you'll do great...