Female Firefighters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious...I know that a bunch of people on here are firefighters, but how many are women? Did it come up in interviews? I would think that's something kind of unique, but I'm not sure.

I'm not yet, but I'll probably be taking FF1 in the next year since the firehouse I just got voted into requires it within 2 years. Just wanted to get my EMT-B in first because well...I care about that more and it requires less working out on my part! But its kind of addicting to ride an engine :love:

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

There sure aren't many, and I've met quite a few. Good luck with that. I hope you are in Podunk, because big city FDs are ridiculously hard to get into.

Yeah seriously, where are you from? Everywhere around here its all but impossible to get a position.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all vollie. If it was paid, I might be able to get a position, but I'm not sure I'd want to put myself through that. Surprisingly my very rural fire department is pretty ok with women, but most of the women who are riding members or in the process of becoming riding members are younger. At school, I'm not so sure how that's going to go, because it's even more rural and much more backwards. I did some volunteer work at the first due company for my college, and they were pretty ignorant to all of us because we were all women. I'd like to take FF1 at school, and I'll probably be the only girl in the class...I think that would certainly give me something to talk about :p

It's funny though, because I always forget that it's kind of unusual to be a women in the fire department until people keep asking me, "Wait, you're going to be a firefighter? Can you do that?" :laugh: Either way, I can already tell that the experience is going to make me a much better, stronger person, so I think that's all that matters.

I went to school in Montana and every other person was a forestry major because they're all firefighters, women included. And I'm talking about real fires that sweep acres of land. I got the feeling that forest fire departments are more keen with women in the work environment because I have many female friends who are fire fighters. I also hear that they transfer well into big city FD because of their experience.