Female going for urology...disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am MS III female interested in urology (gush, that sounds like a personal ad). Does anyone know how competitive the field is looking this year? Are there any other female urologists out there? Do you think we are at a disadvantage? Replies from all genders are welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a male going into Ob-Gyn and it seems to be an advantage for me. However, there are way more spots for OB than there are for urology. I've seen some females in urology but from the feel of things it seems like its still a "boys" club. Your best bet I believe is to do your best during your urology rotations and talk to program directors. I'm sure they will give you honest answers. I think you're going to be battling upstream and your determination might not be enough. Urology is just so competitive to begin with which makes it more difficult. I wanted to do urology but I didn't think it was going to work so now I plan on going into urogynecology which hopefully will satisfy me. Good luck to ya.

I have a female friend going into urology..
They are a minority for sure, I'll ask her for input...