Female Interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpiII

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had 5 people interview me at 3 different schools and they have all been male. Is this the same experience for everyone else?

For those females that are interviewing, is this what you are finding? Do you think it impacts the decision making process to not be interviewed by someone of your gender?

Members don't see this ad.

Thats very funny in my three interviews, I have had 3 of 4 were females and Im a guy.

I have only had two female interviewers and YES, I have loved those two schools more than the others. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. Frankly, I do think that there are very different issues for women going into this profession than men. It is not an easy thing to be balancing a career as a physician and a family, and however feminist I am, I acknowledge that it is traditionally the woman's job to do much of the family management. I had got really good insights into the specific decisions that these women had made in their careers. It got me thinking about far more interesting things than what class size I thought was best for me.... For what it's worth, women are very good at multi-tasking as a gross generalization, and I think that makes us more than cut out for the process of creating such a balance.

It's still a bit of an old-boys network, like it or not. There are specialties with 10% and lower representations of women. Some southern doctors I have met have literally asked me why I thought I should go into medicine instead of raising a family. Okay, that's a tangent. But the fact remains that many of the powerful people (and therefore many of the interviewers) at these schools are male. I have had 12 interviews and 2 female interviewers, so unless I am having really random luck, what you noticed is not accidental.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at two schools before I stopped the rest of my applications. I had two females, and two males, one of each at both schools.

I guess I liked them all about the same. :)

Of the 5 places that I've been, I have had only 1 female faculty interviewer, and the rest were males. However, all of my student interviewers (1 at pitt and 2 at U of M) have been female.

Are most faculty positions (researchers and MDs) dominated by men? From my experience that's what it seems.