Female Reproductive Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RH8448

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I see, if I understand the process of oogenisis correctly, the secondary oocyte and the ovum are the same thing? Does the secondary oocyte refer to the single celled structure that contains the haploid information while the ovum is basically the developed follicle?

The ovum contains the secondary polar body :thumbdown:, and the secondary oocyte :thumbdown:. The sperm :thumbdown: fuses with the secondary oocyte releasing the 2ndary oocyte from metaphase 2 and releasing the second polar body. It is at this point we call it a zygote, exclusively. So, the ovum itself has two sets of haploid chromosomes: one is in the 2nd polar body and the other is in the 2ndary oocyte. Is this an accurate way to understand this part of oogenisis?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure why but the symbols the computer replaced is not relevant. The symbols are supposed to indicate a "haploid cell" or 1n

The ovum is that which is released by the ovary, so normally it is also called the secondary oocyte, which is stalled in metaphase 2 of meiosis 2. However, I don't think it's accurate to say that the ovum has a secondary oocyte and polar body since it has not undergone meiosis yet and so is just one cell. When sperm fertilizes the ovum, or secondary oocyte, meiosis 2 is continued and completed, leaving a zygote and a polar body.