female surgeons more attractive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but the majority of the female surgeons and residents I've met have been, as a whole, more attractive than female docs in other specialties. I know these readers are biased, but anyone else notice the same thing? If so, any theories as to why?

Just something fun to spark conversation and perhaps some witty replies. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe it's just me, but the majority of the female surgeons and residents I've met have been, as a whole, more attractive than female docs in other specialties. I know these readers are biased, but anyone else notice the same thing? If so, any theories as to why?

Well of course there's no correlation between medical specialty and aesthetic beauty. Maybe female surgeons just tend to look prettier because they literally are holding hearts in their hands? I still think that the hand movements involved in surgery during stitching, etc are very delicate and beautiful.

Also, I hope this is more of a lighthearted thread than a literal thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well of course there's no correlation between medical specialty and aesthetic beauty.

On what do you base this? Have you ever seen a dermatology resident? There are a few - a VERY few - that are not "10s", but they are rare. The chicks are top-notch. (I'm not into guys, so I can't really say.)

Well of course there's no correlation between medical specialty and aesthetic beauty.

Incorrect!

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7582/1291

Abstract

Objectives To test the hypothesis that, on average, male surgeons are taller and better looking than male physicians, and to compare both sets of doctors with film stars who play doctors on screen.

Design Comparative study.
Setting Typical university hospital in Spain, located in Barcelona and not in a sleepy backwater.
Participants Random sample of 12 surgeons and 12 physicians plus 4 external controls (film stars who play doctors), matched by age (50s) and sex (all male).
Interventions An independent committee (all female) evaluated the "good looking score" (range 1-7).
Main outcome measures Height (cm) and points on the good looking score.
Results Surgeons were significantly taller than physicians (mean height 179.4 v 172.6 cm; P=0.01). Controls had significantly higher good looking scores than surgeons (mean score 5.96 v 4.39; difference between means 1.57, 95% confidence interval 0.69 to 2.45; P=0.013) and physicians (5.96 v 3.65; 2.31, 1.58 to 3.04; P=0.003). Surgeons had significantly higher good looking scores than physicians (4.39 v 3.65; 0.74; 0.25 to 1.23; P=0.010).
Conclusions Male surgeons are taller and better looking than physicians, but film stars who play doctors on screen are better looking than both these groups of doctors. Whether these phenotypic differences are genetic or environmental is unclear.

Though this study was looking at males, not females...who can say whether the results are generalizable...

On what do you base this? Have you ever seen a dermatology resident? There are a few - a VERY few - that are not "10s", but they are rare. The chicks are top-notch. (I'm not into guys, so I can't really say.)

trooth

Incorrect!

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7582/1291

Though this study was looking at males, not females...who can say whether the results are generalizable...

If I am not incorrect, aren't surgeons a type of physicians? I mean, I know its Columbia Physicians and Surgeons, but i thought physician was a global term for doctor?

I think you can find diamonds in all roughs... there have been some sexy lunch ladies in my day, and some but ugly surgeons, but I think the type A personality is a big selling point... BTW, just from the male surgeons I have worked with, the majority of them I think are some ugly mofo's (except Plastics and Breast as Winged pointed out in her infanite wisdom)...

You need to expand your limited scope.

#1 Dermatology
#2 Pediatrics

It is not even close. The best looking women are in these two specialties.

If I am not incorrect, aren't surgeons a type of physicians? I mean, I know its Columbia Physicians and Surgeons, but i thought physician was a global term for doctor?

It's the British medical journal. Brits traditionally segregate surgeon and physician a bit more. Physician = internist in the context of the article.

It's funny you mention how it's the British journal.

I did a 1-month elective at a hospital in London last September (I'm a female btw), and when I told the administrative staff, or just about everyone in the hospital EXCEPT the surgeons, that I was going to "be a surgeon," everyone looked a little confused, then a little amused, and said something to the effect of, "but don't you think that female surgeons are a little...uh...brusque and manly?"

I personally thought this was hilarious, but other people might not find it so funny. :) Still, in the USA, I would agree that derm and peds are where the hot women are at. General surgery...definitely not on the whole.

Ophtho definitely has the hottest females that and derm.

It's true. Female surgeons are total studettes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Power is sexy.

Or at least for men. I dunno surgery tends to attract Type A women. I've seen plenty of very attractive breast and plastic surgeons (and of course Derm).

I dont' know, most of the most attractive women surgeons have been vascular in my parts. We are "dude magnets" because we play with sharp pointy things every day. The vascular guys aren't bad either. The guys in the IR lab are constantly calling me all of the time because they can't get enough of my groin openings and to whisper "sweet nothings" about IR studies on patients into my left ear. <Sigh> It's just my calling, I guess. :sleep:

Beauty is subjective. There is no such thing as a "test" that can show that specialty determines attractiveness. What rubbish.

They clearly outlined their metrics in the methodology section of the paper. If you take issue with the "good looking scale," the study population, or the independent panel of raters, I suggest you take it up with the study's authors. Their contact information is available through the link I posted.

Interesting replies. I had no idea that attractive females were so prevalent in derm and peds. Maybe it's because there are just proportionally more females in peds than other specialties? I'm not sure about a reason why for derm.

I think there is definitely something to be said about power being sexy. Maybe that's why I personally thought the women in surgery were prettier, because I want to be a surgeon and they are kind of my idols. Also, as Winged Scapula said, surgery tends to attract Type A personalities. I think maybe these women are more likely to take care of themselves grooming-wise (i.e. nice clothes, get their hair done, wear make up) than other doctors who tend to "let themselves go."

I loved how you had to throw that in there when no one even asked. Guilty conscience, much? :laugh:

Not at all. I just don't have opinions as to how attractive a guy is, as applies to sexuality. I can tell you how attractive someone is in whom I have a sexual interest, and it's not dudes - I've seen many women that I've found attractive that were all across the spectrum. I've seen many penises, and don't have an opinion. Your attempt to make me look like I'm closet gay is weak and poorly played. No one asked why or how you came up with such a lame statement to which I responded.

You now look defensive for mentioning this, as you are the OP, and no one else has mentioned it. And, just for your information, if I was gay, I'd have a date every night. (Even though I don't like them, the hombres like me.)

Well say what you want about post residency/fellowship surgeons.
But I don't care how perfectly symmetrical and "10's" they are-male or female--anyone that has to work through those tough surgical residency rotations usually looks like they have been beaten up big time. So at that point, if they are hot or not, I really don't think they give a $^!&.

Surgical residency is brutal it seems to me. If you remembered to put on your underwear, you're doing well.

I think the reasons behind there being lots of attractive people-- and women-- in plastic surgery & derm are obvious. In addition to practitioners being naturally inclined towards aesthetics, there is a very real amount of pressure to look good. You unconsciously, and probably consciously, do not want some schleppy guy in charge of your looks.

As far as peds goes, well, if you're the sort of girl who really puts a lot of effort into your appearance you're more likely not going to be inclined towards a field where that is more or less impossible. In surgery you wear shapeless, manly scrubs. Your time to work out is significantly constrained. Your hair must be pulled back. Jewelry is impractical. If that bothers you, well, go into something where you can wear nice clothes and style your hair as you please and hit the gym a few times a week. Like peds.

And at risk of invoking the wrath of Khan, I think a desire to maintain your appearance is very much linked to a desire to attract the opposite sex. I think female surgery residents are more comfortable being partner-less than others (though the pain of heartbreak and loneliness is univeral). I get the vibe from the peds girls especially that babies are on their mind in a non-professional sense as well.

I think the reasons behind there being lots of attractive people-- and women-- in plastic surgery & derm are obvious. In addition to practitioners being naturally inclined towards aesthetics, there is a very real amount of pressure to look good. You unconsciously, and probably consciously, do not want some schleppy guy in charge of your looks.

As far as peds goes, well, if you're the sort of girl who really puts a lot of effort into your appearance you're more likely not going to be inclined towards a field where that is more or less impossible. In surgery you wear shapeless, manly scrubs. Your time to work out is significantly constrained. Your hair must be pulled back. Jewelry is impractical. If that bothers you, well, go into something where you can wear nice clothes and style your hair as you please and hit the gym a few times a week. Like peds.

And at risk of invoking the wrath of Khan, I think a desire to maintain your appearance is very much linked to a desire to attract the opposite sex. I think female surgery residents are more comfortable being partner-less than others (though the pain of heartbreak and loneliness is univeral). I get the vibe from the peds girls especially that babies are on their mind in a non-professional sense as well.

Respectfully, I think everything you just said is wrong.

Really? Even the first paragraph?

Maybe there's some truth in the first one, but I would hate to think my physician/surgeon's primary concern is how pretty she looks, or having babies.

Maybe there's some truth in the first one, but I would hate to think my physician/surgeon's primary concern is how pretty she looks, or having babies.

You've got some learning to do then buddy, and it aint going to happen in the classroom. I've never, NEVER, met a women who wasn't concerned about her appearance. Even if they don't want to admit it, no woman wants to feel like she's ugly (obviously), and nice clothes and makeup are the easiest ways to improve that.

Doctors are humans. I KNOW! Huge shocker! Why you would think that they don't act just like everybody else walking around the planet is pretty funny.

As a side note. Did anybody else get drawn in to this thread hoping to see pictures of hot girls pretending to be doctors? Huge disappointment.

"good looking scale
How can you have a scale for something unmeasurable?

What determines "good-looking"? Who is the ultimate authority that deems one to be aesthetically pleasing or homely?

It's more of a pseudo-scientific attempt to prove an unprovable hypothesis than a study.

Not at all. I just don't have opinions as to how attractive a guy is, as applies to sexuality. I can tell you how attractive someone is in whom I have a sexual interest, and it's not dudes - I've seen many women that I've found attractive that were all across the spectrum. I've seen many penises, and don't have an opinion. Your attempt to make me look like I'm closet gay is weak and poorly played. No one asked why or how you came up with such a lame statement to which I responded.

You now look defensive for mentioning this, as you are the OP, and no one else has mentioned it. And, just for your information, if I was gay, I'd have a date every night. (Even though I don't like them, the hombres like me.)
Woooooow defensive much? It was a joke lol.

Last edited:
Here, it seems like the best-dressed and most well-groomed female surgeons are in Plastics and Breast. Makes sense.
Since when is breast surgery a specialty?

Are you talking about surg-onc? :laugh:

EDIT: I just realized this is a double post. I apologize.

Since when is breast surgery a specialty?

Are you talking about surg-onc? :laugh:

EDIT: I just realized this is a double post. I apologize.

Dylan...please do a little research before you post. It makes you look stupid to be arguing with senior residents and attendings about what is and is not a specialty.

Breast Surgery is a specialty, with a fellowship training track run by the Society of Surgical Oncology and with many practitioners, including myself. It includes both benign and malignant diseases of the breast and related structures.

And there is decades of research on what constitutes attractiveness within defined cultures. While there is some individual variation (ie, I just had an "argument" on FB with a HS friend who thought Felicity Huffman is attractive; I think she's tranny), there IS wholesale agreement amongst cultures about what is and is not attractive. The BMJ article is part of their Christmas issue and is for fun, but you are ignoring decades of social psychology and anthropological research which indicates we do, as humans, agree on general facets of beauty.

indicates we do, as humans, agree on general facets of beauty.
Maybe the majority has a concensus, but that certainly does not mean that every single human agrees on even one thing in regards to aesthetic appearance.

Are you suggesting that an agreement by a majority indicates what is "right" or "valid"? By that logic, Hitler would have succeeded in his plans to exterminate most of the Jews because no one would oppose him.

:laugh:

Did you just invoke Godwin's Law? I thought you knew better than that. But it appears that you did not read my earlier post.

No, majority agreement does not necessarily constitute "right" in terms of ethics or morality, but it does constitute a "standard" of beauty. There are numerous studies that have found that cultures have a standard of beauty - some of these standards will cross cultural lines, symmetrical features, or large eyes, for example, some will not, like the lip plates of the women of the Omo Valley in Ethiopia.

My post above clearly notes that I accept that not everyone agrees on what is beautiful in every circumstance. For example, a friend suggested that I use the actress Felicity Huffman as my doppleganger for Facebook. I was insulted because I find her relatively unattractive, even "horsey" or a tad tranny; he OTOH finds her "lovely and sophisticated".

So please do not try to claim I've made statements that I haven't in an attempt to win an argument.

Maybe the majority has a concensus, but that certainly does not mean that every single human agrees on even one thing in regards to aesthetic appearance.

Are you suggesting that an agreement by a majority indicates what is "right" or "valid"? By that logic, Hitler would have succeeded in his plans to exterminate most of the Jews because no one would oppose him.

I don't think BlondeDocteur, or anyone else, was suggesting that looking nice is a physician's PRIMARY concern.

Most people want to be attractive, male and female. Physicians are people too. And there is plenty of evidence that attractiveness = successful, or at least perceived success.

I discuss this a lot with my plastic surgery friends. Taking pride in what you look like, and how you present yourself is very important, and those that do exude confidence. The latter is important to patients.

We aren't talking about looking like this: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZtCi0C7lM[/YOUTUBE]

And there is decades of research on what constitutes attractiveness within defined cultures. While there is some individual variation (ie, I just had an "argument" on FB with a HS friend who thought Felicity Huffman is attractive; I think she's tranny), there IS wholesale agreement amongst cultures about what is and is not attractive. The BMJ article is part of their Christmas issue and is for fun, but you are ignoring decades of social psychology and anthropological research which indicates we do, as humans, agree on general facets of beauty.

From my brief foray into the world of plastic surgery (i.e. 4 sub-is) I can assure you that there exist countless attempts to develop objective metrics of attractiveness. No news to most people on here, of course, but the human breast for example is meant to have a certain shape, have 2/3 of the mass lateral to the midclavicular line, measure only a certain distance in cm from the infra-mammary fold to the clavicle, etc. Similar extremely precise measurements exist for the "ideal" human nose.

It's actually fascinating-- there really seem to exist universal, unconscious notions of beauty. Why that is, and what those are, gave rise to an entire branch of philosophy and a very well-funded research industry in fashion, cosmetics, and cosmetic medicine. But you can show pictures of human faces to people of all racial backgrounds, to urbanites or Stone Age tribes, to infants even, and some of them will be deemed almost universally beautiful.

None of which has anything to do with the spoof BMJ Christmas issue, or whether or not attractive female med students are more or less likely to end up in surgery.

You've got some learning to do then buddy, and it aint going to happen in the classroom. I've never, NEVER, met a women who wasn't concerned about her appearance. Even if they don't want to admit it, no woman wants to feel like she's ugly

Most men don't either, buddy.

Your signature says General Surgery is in your future....did you change your mind about plastics?

You've got some learning to do then buddy, and it aint going to happen in the classroom. I've never, NEVER, met a women who wasn't concerned about her appearance. Even if they don't want to admit it, no woman wants to feel like she's ugly (obviously), and nice clothes and makeup are the easiest ways to improve that.

Doctors are humans. I KNOW! Huge shocker! Why you would think that they don't act just like everybody else walking around the planet is pretty funny.

As a side note. Did anybody else get drawn in to this thread hoping to see pictures of hot girls pretending to be doctors? Huge disappointment.

It's more than that for women. It's cultural and social. The expectations for women in this regard are higher in general than they are for men.

It's an unfair reality--another double-standard.

I say do your best to not look sickly. But honestly as a women, I have been conditioned to believe external presentation is very important, even though inwardly I see the doublestandard and buck against it. I play the game. I shave my armpits where, in our culture, men don't--even though in other cultures you could be a beautiful, clean, "coiffured" female and NOT shave your armpits. It's the power of sociological influences within a culture. So as I shave my legs whether freezing cold of winter or hot days of summer, I simply tell myself I am exfoliating a little more deeply than just using a loofah.

Any woman that lives in our culture is conditioned early on by the constant feedback that looking her best will give her an edge. I don't have to totally agree with it. I just accept it and reap the benefits. :)

Here is a HOT new GP and damn she is a 10:D

Your signature says General Surgery is in your future....did you change your mind about plastics?

I did. For a large variety of reasons, general surgery is a much better fit. I did 4 PRS sub-is and tried to seek out people with my "ideal" plastics practice... and knew I wouldn't be satisfied. It's a good field to be sure, but not if you're interested in medical management, high-acuity problems, and international work.

I yanked my plastics apps back in October and never looked back.