Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

femals can't be good surgeon?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by dr.lk, Jul 14, 2001.

1. dr.lk

dr.lk Junior Member

i am a medical student & i have talked with lots of doctors & surgeon.? so many of then disappointed me taht girls/femals can't be good surgeons. few says taht it need more physical stenght, few says need capacity to stand & few says taht it is hard hearted work? really can't can't be good surgeon? & what is teh best specilised branch of sugeons in the world for girl which is parallel good in the rising carrier also. [email protected]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    With the *possible* exception of some orthopedics work (it takes a fair bit of strength to reduce a dislocated bone; I've tried), I know of no special strengths needed to be a surgeon and no reason why women cannot stand on their feet as long as men.

If you want to be a surgeon, don't let your professors dissuade you just because you are female. Their line of thinking is old-fashioned and patently wrong.

4. MoeDaMan

MoeDaMan Senior Member

woman can't be good surgeons?

What a bunch of boloney....you know there once was a point in time where women supposedly couldn't be good doctors......it is just a bunch of chauvinistic pigs trying to disuade you....my belief is that they may be threatened by ur intellect and if some of them are competeing with u for the same position...maybe that is their way of getting rid of the competition...'

if we can have women in the millitary and in wrestling....then we sure in hell can have a female surgeon :D

5. Flea

Flea Member

Don't count out ortho!! Although it can be difficult to relocate a few shoulders (weights work much better anyway)-- with a little different technique and the right power tools it can be done well, if not better. The female Orthopods I know have no problems (including the ones that do joint replacements).. it just tends to be a testosterone driven specialty and often fails to acknowledge/teach that you can be a good orthopod without benching 350lbs. :rolleyes:
    Try reading "How to play like a man and win like a Women". I forgot the author, but you can find it on Amazon. There's a sectionin it that talks about this. :D

6. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Shoulders I can do - its the hips I have trouble with! :D

I didn't mean to imply you should count out Ortho - god knows I love it. My original post said "possible exception" - depending on the applicants size and strength there MAY BE procedures which she is unable to do. Most ortho work is done with tools, but doing a closed reduction, even under anesthesia, takes some grit.

As both responders have said, you can do anything you want. Women are represented in EVERY surgical specialty - there are no restrictions based upon your gender, at least not in the US.

7. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In fact, I challenge any man out there to wear stilettos for an eight-hour work day-- hell, I'll make it easy on you, wear pumps-- for one work day. See if you can hack it boys and then tell me women aren't tough enough. :rolleyes: I think post this actually belongs on the "tough enough" thread in the Lounge. :D

Any takers?

8. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    I'm still a bit bemused by the comment that you have to "stand" to be a surgeon. True, and my feet do hurt after 38 hours or so on my feet, but I'm sure my male colleagues feel the same. Heck, I know they do - one is lying on the couch right here in the call room with his shoes off, rubbing his feet! :D

These kind of comments go back to the Stone Ages when women were thought to be physically weak specimens who couldn't handle a job outside of the home because of their delicate constitution.

9. yigit

yigit Senior Member

Hey man, I think someone switched the T and the H on your computer. It's THAT and THE, not taht and teh.

Is there a shortage of English teachers over there in India? ;)

10. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I had trouble understanding your post. I am not trying to be anal, but if you want to post or practice medicine, please communicate in a semi-discernable way. I am sorry, just pointing that out too though.

11. Roger Moore

Roger Moore Member

Medic - you are a dork. :rolleyes: Let's see you write a paragraph that long in a foreign language and make fewer mistakes.

Women make fine orthopedic surgeons. For some reason orthopedics just doesn't appeal to many women - kind of like engineering. I think its the physics which really bores most women or something. However the women that do choose those fields do very well indeed. If you want to do it then do it.

12. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I guarantee if I had to write a whole paragraph in Spanish or French right now (both of which I studied for several years), native speakers would be laughing like mad at me.

Women becoming good surgeons? As Dr. Kimberli Cox (surgery intern) has already pointed out, there are no special physical barriers to women becoming surgeons. There may be prejudice you have to deal with along the way, from coworkers, friends, or family. If you want to be a surgeon, don't believe people who say you can't become one, just because you are a woman.

13. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    The original poster is from India.... having different views/culture is probably the source of the comment....

14. Stephen Ewen

In India, medical colleges and a whole spectrum of residencies have been opened just for Women, as well as the coeducational type; so I do not think the comments can be chocked up to mere cultutral bias in India.

Much of surgery IS "hard hearted work," as the poster stated was told her; I think that that is much behind the comment made her--a saying in essence, Do you KNOW that is part of this job, and are you SURE you want to do this in that light?

Why must we at once lay this all to evil motive? Maybe these people know this girl some. Maybe it is even good-hearted concern and mentoring these people are doing with her, to move her into what they see is her highest bents, giftings and talents, where they feel she will ultimately be happiest? Let's face it, even some MEN are not of the bent, giftings and talents to be the best surgeons.

15. yigit

yigit Senior Member

As you can see from my original post, I am well aware that Dr Lk is from India.

I'm all for non-native speakers, but THAT and THE are the most common words in the language.

Honestly, I don't really care. I was just poking fun. I thought the smiley face would show that I wasn't trying to ridicule anyone.

And in my eyes the real joke is the idea that women can't make good surgeons.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Flea

Flea Member

With the help of a spotter(in case you fall)- standing on the bed and giving a good yank can work.......especially when your "vertically challenged" and weigh less then Calisa (?sp) Flockhart :D :D

18. tussy

tussy Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I have actually worn compression stockings during long OR cases (the kind you put on immobilized patients to prevent DVTs). They can prevent you from getting varicose veins, and your feet and legs feel wonderful, even after standing for a long time.

It's sad that in the 21st century there are still people out there that believe that women can't be surgeons. It is a difficult job, and you do have to sacrifice a lot of your personal life. But if you're willing to make these sacrifices there is nothing, based on gender alone, that should prevent a woman from going into surgery.

19. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    This dork thanks you yigit. Pepole get so upset; then resort to namecalling. Oh well.

20. Roger Moore

Roger Moore Member

Ah Medic - so you're not just a dork but a ***** to boot. Go cry to mommy. :rolleyes:

21. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    whatever, I am not lowering myself to your level. So, I guess Iam whatever you say I am. I forgive you for calling me names. I also wish good luck and fortune to you in your future big guy. Take care and be well! ;)

22. Barton

Barton Senior Member

Is everyone not aware that India's official languages are ENGLISH and Hindi?

23. Eleusia

Eleusia Member

yigit,

I don't think anyone misunderstood you. They were talking to Medic.

24. yigit

yigit Senior Member

Barton wins with the best post of all! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And Roger...it's P-U-S-S-Y and M-O-M-M-Y and please try not to use those two words in the same post again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

25. Roger Moore

Roger Moore Member

Yigieboy - you spell good, I'm impressed.

As far as I can remember, when I had your mommy her ***** was nice and wet.

26. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    The proper english would be "you spell well" not "you spell good". I guess English is hard even for natives. You seem to have vulgarities and insult slang down though. I bet that will help in your aspirations to be a physician. Sorry Roger, but you are not being very nice and I could not resist. ;)

27. Dr M

Dr M New Member

I have to say that if women can't be good orthos then I have the wrong field. I have wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon for as long as I have wanted to be a doctor. I know that nothing but hardwork and dedication is standing in my way. I don't plan on letting anyone with a small mind stop me, I've come too far.

28. rdennisjr

rdennisjr SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Hey folks - not my forum here, but you all have agreed with the SDN terms of agreement when you signed into this system. Use of vulgarities and in general not playing nice with the other kids will get you removed. Please ensure that the forums are kept a usefull, civil place - not just to work but to play also. :D

Thanks

rdennisjr - moderator

29. Roger Moore

Roger Moore Member

Yijie - Do you be dissin my grammar? I be havin to slap you round for that. :mad:

30. yigit

yigit Senior Member

I didn't think anyone would stoop that low on a med school discussion board.

Well at least you went back and edited your spelling.

31. Roger Moore

Roger Moore Member

Really, you must not have been paying much attention to SDN, if you thought that.

For your spunkiness I will show mercy and pardon you from your appointed ass kicking. :)

32. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    I hope that your comments aren't the result of my earlier post as many others have felt the need to comment that women can be orthopods. Please note that I said "I" have trouble with some of the manuevers and that I expect that some other women do as well. However, this is NO reason why women should not become Orthopedic Surgeons. There are many out there and they do a terrific job. Let me clarify to say that while there may be *some* things you are unable to do, DEPENDING on your physical size and strength (and even then there are always ways around it), this is an insignificant factor in the decision and capabilities.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

33. droliver

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    As Kim pointed out quite rightly there are some orthopedic manuevers (closed reductions of fractures & dislocations) that women will not be able to perform on some patients. However, this constitutes a very minor part of the field as a whole and is usually a non-factor on operative cases.
    Another concern for women with orthopedics is the chronic radiation exposure as it relates to potential birth defects.
    One of the greatest factors discouraging potential female general surgeons is the huge time commitment to work during the last half of their prime reproductive years. After spending the majority of their early 20's in undergrad & medical school, the prospect of being a resident until you early-mid 30's raises legitamate concerns re. fertility issues with both the risk of infertility & the incidence of birth defects increasing signifigantly. Added to this is the inability to be a surgeon part-time in order to raise a family.