Feminist Psychological Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of any researchers that study pretty much anything but from a Feminist perspective. I am applying to a couple of schools this year, but in the event I don't' get it (which is okay since I've only found three schools I consider a good match), I'd really like to do some more thorough research on places I didn't apply to this go around. I didn't even think to ask you guys a couple of months ago when I was looking for schools, and even though it might be too late this go around, I'd love any info anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I *think* that there was someone at SIU-Carbondale but unsure whether or not she's still there since she was possibly in the process of leaving at the time I checked them out. There's another program I looked at that had several but I honestly do not recall who as it's been a while and other programs' information sort of overrode anything from those particular programs--mainly b/c I was not interested in the slightest in focusing on the feminist perspective.

If you have the time, you might want to do as several of us did to torture ourselves. Create a list of all programs and then visit each one's site to check out their program, faculty, etc., to see if they would be a good match. There might be someone there that no one thinks of or that someone forgets about.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any researchers that study pretty much anything but from a Feminist perspective. I am applying to a couple of schools this year, but in the event I don't' get it (which is okay since I've only found three schools I consider a good match), I'd really like to do some more thorough research on places I didn't apply to this go around. I didn't even think to ask you guys a couple of months ago when I was looking for schools, and even though it might be too late this go around, I'd love any info anyway.

Oh my yes! What I'd suggest to to find some recent work reviewing the feminist perspective and see who gets cited all over the place, then look those people up. If you haven't seen it yet, look up this article:

Moradi, B. (2005). Advancing Womanist identity development: Where we are and where we need to go. Counseling Psychologist, 33, 225-253.

This paper reviews some really cool things happening in the field fairly recently.

Off the top of my head.... Sue Morrow at Utah, Janice Yoder at Akron, Bonnie Moradi at U Florida, Janet Helms at Boston College, Susan Fiske (at Princeton I think...), Ruth Fassinger at U Maryland.

the University of Michigan has a joint PhD program in clinical psych and women's studies...