Femoral Nail Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGixer6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies for my lack of medical knowledge and terminology. I'm not a student and I'm not in medicine.

I'm interested in any opinions offered for a medical decision I need to make for myself. Basically my doctor doesn't know the answer, and my consultants are always are too busy to have an in-depth discussion with me. So feel free to give an opinion; hypothetical is fine.

36 year old male now living in the UK, otherwise fit and healthy and actively participating in sports.

Involved in motorcycle crash in March 2003 in which one of the injuries was a mid-shaft fracture to the left femur. It was treated with an 'IM femoral nail'. Subsequently the proximal and distal locking bolts removed due to bursitis. Patient still suffering occsional aches and pains but nothing too severe, and I have know way of knowing if this is related to the nail, or is just normal with a major fracture of this type.

Basically wondering if the nail should be removed or left in place. There should be no stress shielding effect, and associated bone mineral density reduction as the bolts have been taken out. Can't seem to find any literature outlining potential problems related the nail itself. My concern is that the nail replaces bone marrow and therefore enhances the risk of osteoporosis in later life. There is the option of removal, but I have been advised it is a fairly brutal operation, and will cause damage (bruising, scarring etc) and therefore would require time off work. Can anyone offer advice, or point me to relevant literature to research the topic?

Many Thanks
Mark

Members don't see this ad.

I would caution you getting advice online but if you're going to ask anywhere I'd post in the Orthopedics forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.