Quantcast

Ferri's vs. Washington Manual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Which one do you recommend is better for medicine: Ferri's Care of the Medical Patient or Washington Manual?

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a med student I prefered Ferri due to its readability, both from a linguistic and layout perspective. I don't think there is any fundamental difference in quality between the two, but Wash was visually dense and visually hard to read. The newer editions of Ferri seem to have a smaller font size than previous editions, but still seem to have a pretty clean and readable layout.

Richie Truxillo

Your Scut Monkey Mentor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a 3rd year with Ferri's today and I really liked the layout of it better. Seemed like it explained more. My attending wanted us to use the Washington Manual which is really verbose and unattractive. I'll borrow one of the 3rd year's books tomorrow and thumb through it tomorrow.

gclax30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a 3rd year with Ferri's today and I really liked the layout of it better. Seemed like it explained more. My attending wanted us to use the Washington Manual which is really verbose and unattractive. I'll borrow one of the 3rd year's books tomorrow and thumb through it tomorrow.

Agree with all of the above. I also felt that Ferri's had some of the more obscure factoids that Washington manual suprisingly left out despite its pages of mind-boggling single spaced tiny print.

Good to hear from you Ricardo, how is 4th year treating ya?

Richie Truxillo

Your Scut Monkey Mentor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from you Ricardo, how is 4th year treating ya?

Doing well bro. 4th year is a breath of fresh air. Striving hard for that urologic surgery residency now. Boards were alot easier this time around and life is good. Getting married on March 29th too. Been hectic but so far all worth it! I hope life is treating you well at NIH, and I'm counting on you to be the next Dr. House (minus the attitude of course, you've always been nice to everyone). Go BoSox!

To the OP, I thumbed thru Ferri's for awhile today and although I haven't been using it, it looks to be far superior to the Washington Manual in terms of readability and content thus far. :thumbup: Now with that said, I'll wait for some doc to come and flame me about my observation :hardy:

-Richie

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pocket medicine by Sabatine does not even get a mention? I was at a hospital in the Northeast where it seemed like every resident regardless of specialty had it in their labcoat...I think they just came out with a new edition

B-

Which one do you recommend is better for medicine: Ferri's Care of the Medical Patient or Washington Manual?

DrDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pocket medicine by Sabatine does not even get a mention?

That is another book I am considering. It seems so brief though when you compare it to Ferri or Washington Manual. But people say it has everything you need and it's condensed to about 1 page per condition. Does it really cover what you need to know for major things like diabetes or CHF in a single page not much bigger than an index card? The other pocket books sometimes have 10 or more pages dedicated to such topics.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I guess that depends on whether you actually want to keep it in your "pocket". As I stated before I saw tons of residents walking around with it in their lab coat. I don't think you can do that with Washington or Ferri. But supposedly all you need for IM is in Sabatine's book and the fact that it is condensed I would suppose is a good thing. If you want 10 or 20 pages on a condition you might as well read The big daddy- Harrison's.

That is another book I am considering. It seems so brief though when you compare it to Ferri or Washington Manual. But people say it has everything you need and it's condensed to about 1 page per condition. Does it really cover what you need to know for major things like diabetes or CHF in a single page not much bigger than an index card? The other pocket books sometimes have 10 or more pages dedicated to such topics.

angel80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I vote for Pocket Medicine as well. Both Ferri and Washington Manual are too bulky to keep in the pocket.

Counterpointer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on Surgery right now and just read a few chapters of Washington Manual for Surgery. Maybe WM for Medicine is similar?

I think it rocks. I've been indecisive so far about resources for Surgery, but I'm impressed with WM. Haven't seen Ferri's. (and is there one for Surg?)

BRS for Surg kind of irks me. Font is too large and too much space in the page layout. Also, the outline format is occasionally arbitrary, and this makes me feel it's not very comprehensive.

Sorry if this was an off-topic rant.... :)