4s4

10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I was told by my Kaplan instructor that we don't need to know it, but then past tests have q's about it.Does anyone know if we need to know it? Thanks!

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I don't think you need to know it. Just know that fetal hemoglobin is diff from adult hemoglobin, therefore there are no sickle cell fetuses. Sickle cell anemia only affects adult Hemoglobin.

sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
and also, i think just that fetal hemoglobin has a greater affinity for oxygen that adult hemoglobin

About the Ads

ThreeJ

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah the only thing with fetal circulation that i ever came into contact is that the oxygen curve is shifted to the left. also know that in the fetus prephrial resistance is low and pulmonary circulation resistance is maximum. Then once the fectus is born the prephrial resistance inreases while the pulmonary resistance the decreases. ;)

HocusPocus

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status
4s4 said:
I was told by my Kaplan instructor that we don't need to know it, but then past tests have q's about it.Does anyone know if we need to know it? Thanks!

Well I would say just know it in any case because it has been covered in the Kaplan comprehensive review 2005-2006 edition. Know that fetal hemoglobin has a greater affinity for oxygen than adult hemoglobin which is why oxygen preferentially diffuses into fetal blood. Understand that the placenta is the site of nutrition, respiration, and waste disposal. The placenta is basically analogous to the lungs for adults. Just try to know the basics at least.

OP

4s4

10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the info! I don't mind memorizing the info mentioned above, but I just really don't feel like memorizing the stuff about the ductous arteriosus, foramen ovalue? something like that etc. Yeah I know it's only 3 things, but every little thing adds up on the MCAT =S Do you think we have to know those things?

HocusPocus

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status
I've actually done a couple of questions on practice mcats that have dealt with the 3 shunts so I would say yes, know that info. as well.

ThreeJ

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello.

If you want to know about the foramen ovale and the ductus arteriosus the here it is.

Before birth the ductus arteriosus allows blood to be shunted from the right atrium to the left so that it bypasses the pulmonary circulation, because the lungs are still undergoing development. Don't get me wrong there is some limited amount of blood going to the lung to perfuse them but no for re oxygenation purposes. Then once the baby is born in the first couple of weeks the foramen ovale has a membrane that covers it over to allow normaol adult circulation to go to the lungs.

With the ductus arteriosus it act as a shunt in the fetal circulation to allow blood to bypass pulmonary circulation when blood tries to go through the pulmonary artery. Once the baby is born the duct then undergoes a degree of atrophy and forms a ligament that attaches the pulmonary artery to the aorta.

Besides this just remember that in fetal circulation there is vessels that allow blood to travel in a particular way. Then once birth has occured these vessels usually become ligaments or membrane structures.

About the Ads