Few math questions on naplex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royjon2123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the exam and had very few math questions? Many of my peers said they had around 30ish and I had maybe 20 at most with no flow rates or meq but a few pk calculations.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of formulas/equations are given on the Naplex? Or do we have to memorize all of them from the Rxprep calc session?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had plenty of math, definitely close to 30 questions. But honestly the majority of the math that the naplex requires is very very easy. And if you don't feel like it is then you need to practice it until you do. I actually found the 120 questions to be a bit harder than the actual exam. My exam involved a lot of drip rates and compounding (make a solution with 20mg of A and 30mg of B qs to 250 ml. How much of stock solution A will you need? How much stock solution B? How much will you need to qs with after adding the stock solutions?) That was honestly as hard as it ever got. I think I had one meq questions and no mmol questions, but make sure you know the formulas. The compounding/calculations section in RxPrep (and the online rxprep quiz bank on calculations, if you can afford it) were MORE than sufficient to prepare you for compounding. Also make sure you memorize tpn calorie stuff, such as how many calories are in dextrose/protein. There will probably be at least one question on that stuff.

What kind of formulas/equations are given on the Naplex? Or do we have to memorize all of them from the Rxprep calc session?

The majority of formulas are not given. Make sure you know how to do meq,mmol,BSA, CrCl and tpn calories for sure. Anything that isn't commonly dealt with will have its own formula on the exam. I think I had to calculate the amount of bicarb that is needed to buffer urine during metabolic acidosis (something like this??), and the formula was provided to me. I just had to look at the patients labs and know that bicarb was HCO3.

did any of you practice from pronto pass math? i feel its some chapters are difficult and confusing any idea? were you guys provided with hand calculators?? Also, how was the overall exam?? was it too tough was the time enough to finish all questions or you have to rush??

Thank you.
I had plenty of math, definitely close to 30 questions. But honestly the majority of the math that the naplex requires is very very easy. And if you don't feel like it is then you need to practice it until you do. I actually found the 120 questions to be a bit harder than the actual exam. My exam involved a lot of drip rates and compounding (make a solution with 20mg of A and 30mg of B qs to 250 ml. How much of stock solution A will you need? How much stock solution B? How much will you need to qs with after adding the stock solutions?) That was honestly as hard as it ever got. I think I had one meq questions and no mmol questions, but make sure you know the formulas. The compounding/calculations section in RxPrep (and the online rxprep quiz bank on calculations, if you can afford it) were MORE than sufficient to prepare you for compounding. Also make sure you memorize tpn calorie stuff, such as how many calories are in dextrose/protein. There will probably be at least one question on that stuff.

Has anyone taken the exam and had very few math questions? Many of my peers said they had around 30ish and I had maybe 20 at most with no flow rates or meq but a few pk calculations.

And I had more than 30...everyone's going to have something different because it's an adaptive exam. Don't fret, you did fine! :)

You won't have to remember anything ridiculous, it's a general knowledge exam. Just make sure you know how to do the calculations.

I got at least 60 questions of maths!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And when I say 60 I mean it! I am not magnifying ... I got A LOOOOT of questions. And I could tell they were becoming more & more difficult. I got everything! Meq, mOsm, alligation, Biostats EVERYTHING! You name it! And it got freakishly hard at the end but I love maths... I did soooo well. I knew I got them all right (even though 90% of them were fill in the blanks!)

I ended up getting 110...