Few questions about AMCAS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiye guys,

Hope all of you are having fun getting interviews & acceptances (April takers) & waiting for ur results (August takers- thats me). I have a few questions about EC's on AMCAS. Since I can only put 15, I can't decide which ones to put and which ones to leave out.

I had Academic Excellence Scholarship thru out my college, should I mention it?
I attended a conference on behalf of my school's chem dept. but didn't do a presentation etc. is it worth mentioning?
One of my research experience had a presentation at one conference & a poster in another conference, should I mention both separately or can I combine those?
Can I combine shadowing a physician with volunteer in ER, since they were at the same hospital?
Should I mention stuff that I'm planning to do this year (I have this year off- so i'll be doing a lot of things) ?

There's no way I can mention all the clubs n organizations that I was in during college, is that okay/normal?

I'm almost done with my AMCAS, just having some problems organizing it. I'll appreciate all of ur help. Thanks & Good Luck! :luck:
-Mah.

Members don't see this ad.

Hiye guys,

Hope all of you are having fun getting interviews & acceptances (April takers) & waiting for ur results (August takers- thats me). I have a few questions about EC's on AMCAS. Since I can only put 15, I can't decide which ones to put and which ones to leave out.

I had Academic Excellence Scholarship thru out my college, should I mention it?
I attended a conference on behalf of my school's chem dept. but didn't do a presentation etc. is it worth mentioning?
One of my research experience had a presentation at one conference & a poster in another conference, should I mention both separately or can I combine those?
Can I combine shadowing a physician with volunteer in ER, since they were at the same hospital?
Should I mention stuff that I'm planning to do this year (I have this year off- so i'll be doing a lot of things) ?

There's no way I can mention all the clubs n organizations that I was in during college, is that okay/normal?

I'm almost done with my AMCAS, just having some problems organizing it. I'll appreciate all of ur help. Thanks & Good Luck! :luck:
-Mah.

I'm not sure if listing the scholarship would be all that necessary, as you received the scholarship for stuff you did in high school (I assume).

For the conference stuff, I'd just list the ones you gave presentations at. For my research, I gave 3 poster presentations. I just made an activity section called Research Presentations and briefly listed what poster I presented at what conference. It's best to lump them together.

Also, for shadowing, I did the same thing. Just lump them together under Physician Shadowing.

It looks like you're trying too hard if you fill out all 15 (IMO), unless you really do have 15 significant activities/jobs to list. Like I said, I personally would try to consolidate as much as possible while highlighting the things you think are most important / look best.

You should definitely combine items when possible, but don't force the combining. Its not advisable to mention things that were not too important to you and had only a small impact on your undergraduate career (such as clubs that only required a little bit of participation, etc). You should definitely include what you are doing since graduation as one or more in your lists of activities. specifically, for your app:

I had Academic Excellence Scholarship thru out my college, should I mention it?- yes, use one entry
I attended a conference on behalf of my school's chem dept. but didn't do a presentation etc. is it worth mentioning? - no
One of my research experience had a presentation at one conference & a poster in another conference, should I mention both separately or can I combine those? - combine, definitely mention
Can I combine shadowing a physician with volunteer in ER, since they were at the same hospital? - only combine if in the same program, dont combine if separate events
Include what you are doing this year as separate events (or combine if applicable)