few questions about prometric hopefully someone can answer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. So is there anyone out there making sure your breaks dont eat into your test time? For example if i wind up taking 1 hour and 10 minutes total in breaks and i have one more section i will lose 10 minutes. Does the computer warn you or anything?

2. Can i bring an mp3 player for the breaks to listen to music?

3. Are the lockers locked? I was thinking about taking a few 5 minute brakes and just grabbing a bite off a sandwhich or something or a drink, will I have enough time to use the restroom, ,get into my locker, and sign in and out in 5 minutes? Just wondering if the signing in and getting into a locker how much time that will eat into my breaks.

4. The test the same exact format as that sample test thing i downloaded "2005 usmle cbt practice" - nbme test delivery???

5. Can you talk to other people during breaks?

6. Can you keep stuff in your pockets like a few candies or something so its quicker to grab when you take a break rather then going in your locker?

Members don't see this ad.

geldrop said:
1. So is there anyone out there making sure your breaks dont eat into your test time? For example if i wind up taking 1 hour and 10 minutes total in breaks and i have one more section i will lose 10 minutes. Does the computer warn you or anything?

3. Are the lockers locked? I was thinking about taking a few 5 minute brakes and just grabbing a bite off a sandwhich or something or a drink, will I have enough time to use the restroom, ,get into my locker, and sign in and out in 5 minutes? Just wondering if the signing in and getting into a locker how much time that will eat into my breaks.

4. The test the same exact format as that sample test thing i downloaded "2005 usmle cbt practice" - nbme test delivery???

6. Can you keep stuff in your pockets like a few candies or something so its quicker to grab when you take a break rather then going in your locker?

i don't think u're supposed to be keeping stuff in ur pocket besides id/ticket. the lockers at my prometric center had locks. checking in/out/walking to bathroom/back will prob take u like 3-4 minutes. and if ur prometric center is like mine, there's only one toilet in each bathroom so if someone's taking a long time, u'll have to wait outside...ehhe.

bulldog said:
i don't think u're supposed to be keeping stuff in ur pocket besides id/ticket. the lockers at my prometric center had locks. checking in/out/walking to bathroom/back will prob take u like 3-4 minutes. and if ur prometric center is like mine, there's only one toilet in each bathroom so if someone's taking a long time, u'll have to wait outside...ehhe.

You are responsible for keeping track of your own time. It does display the remaining time you have on the break screen, but no one at prometric is keeping track of it. You have 60 minutes (if I remember correctly) to divide up throughout the day...it's your job to keep track of it and make sure you don't go over. If you finish other sections early, that can add to your breaktime too.

Most centers have a fridge and microwave for you to keep your lunch in, so you don't have to leave.

geldrop said:

1. Like the other folks said - look at the timer on your screen.
2. I guess, but your breaks are going to be short.
3. Sounds like the strategy I took. Yeah, the lockers are there for you to access between test. Heck, you can even bring your FA to look at between tests!
4. The test wasn't the same exact format as the practice tests, but you can figure it out pretty quick.
5. Sure. If THEY want to.
6. I think the rules are pretty strict, but it's not like they pat you down. I had earplugs in my pocket, technically not allowed, but I had no problems. Of course, opening the locker took 0.5 seconds.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's another prometric question for you:

What is the deal with the ticket thing? I did not receive one, and I called NBOME, and they said it was all computerized and that no ticket was needed, just an ID. So then I called prometric and they gave me a confirmation number, and if I recall (it's been awhile) they said I needed to bring the number (or was it ticket?) with me. So does anyone know really how it works? Thanks.

you need your orange ticket that came in the mail. it was an orange trifolded piece of paper with your name on it. that and your driver's license is all you need. i'm not sure about the whole prometric confirmation number thing they gave you. i never talked to the people at prometric before my test but it's not a bad idea. also, make sure your name on the orange slip is exactly the same as the name on your driver's license. someone i know got turned away because his first and middle name got combined on the ticket and were not that way on his license. needless to say, they turned him away and he couldn't take the exam. however, middle names don't have to appear in both places. just make sure the first and last name are identical.

RS6 said:
you need your orange ticket that came in the mail. it was an orange trifolded piece of paper with your name on it. that and your driver's license is all you need. i'm not sure about the whole prometric confirmation number thing they gave you. i never talked to the people at prometric before my test but it's not a bad idea. also, make sure your name on the orange slip is exactly the same as the name on your driver's license. someone i know got turned away because his first and middle name got combined on the ticket and were not that way on his license. needless to say, they turned him away and he couldn't take the exam. however, middle names don't have to appear in both places. just make sure the first and last name are identical.

They are doing away with the orange ticket. Read the USMLE website's latest announcement.

Ok, I'm still confused. Here's the quote from the announcement:

"Effective September 1, 2005 the Test Center Administrator (TCA) will no longer detach the bottom portion of the Scheduling Permit, containing the Candidate Identification Number (CIN), for examinees to take into the testing room. Instead, examinees will write their CIN on the laminated writing surface that is provided for making notes. After writing their CIN on the laminated surface, the TCA will collect the permit, thereby eliminating the need for paper in the testing room."

But it still says "collect the permit" - so does that mean you still have to bring the orange paper??