Few Questions for Applying to DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostnever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively unfamiliar with applying to DO schools, but I would like to apply to both MD and DO schools next cycle. A few questions....

1) Will not having a DO letter of rec. hurt me? I will have 2 MD letters (one from my PI and another from a doc I work with), but am wondering if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage. I have talked with several DO surgery residents about their experiences, but I wouldn't get a letter from them because they're residents (and my lab buddies). I'd like to shadow a DO before applying, but am having a hell of a time finding a non-resident physician.

2) How do you go about choosing schools to apply to? I'm on the West Coast with a 3.6 gpa and 29 MCAT (relatively balanced). I wouldn't mind keeping my nice weather, but I also wouldn't mind going some place completely different.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Be aware that some schools require a DO letter. I would work really hard to try to find a DO to shadow. It took me about a year to find one and had to travel 140 miles a day round trip to shadow him since I live in a rural area, but it was well worth the time in the end.

Some schools have a hard requirement, some strongly suggest it. I would agree that even if you have to travel a bit to shadow one, I would suggest it. But I would talk with them first and see if they would be willing to meet with you in addition to shadowing so they have something to write a letter from the meeting

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools have a hard requirement, some strongly suggest it. I would agree that even if you have to travel a bit to shadow one, I would suggest it. But I would talk with them first and see if they would be willing to meet with you in addition to shadowing so they have something to write a letter from the meeting

Most accept MD or DO there are exceptions.

I'm relatively unfamiliar with applying to DO schools, but I would like to apply to both MD and DO schools next cycle. A few questions....

1) Will not having a DO letter of rec. hurt me? I will have 2 MD letters (one from my PI and another from a doc I work with), but am wondering if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage. I have talked with several DO surgery residents about their experiences, but I wouldn't get a letter from them because they're residents (and my lab buddies). I'd like to shadow a DO before applying, but am having a hell of a time finding a non-resident physician.

2) How do you go about choosing schools to apply to? I'm on the West Coast with a 3.6 gpa and 29 MCAT (relatively balanced). I wouldn't mind keeping my nice weather, but I also wouldn't mind going some place completely different.

Thanks for any advice!

Here is a good list:
Western
Tucom ca/nv
Azcom
RVU
Azcom
Atsu soma
Pnwu

And pick MDs you like also

Reactions: 1 user
LECOM and WVSOM require a DO letter. Even if it's not required, it shows that you've done your research and have subjected yourself to understanding modern practice of osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
LECOM and WVSOM require a DO letter. Even if it's not required, it shows that you've done your research and have subjected yourself to understanding modern practice of osteopathic medicine.
OK so two schools (one which gives you one if you don't have) that aren't on the west coast. Its not necessary but ofcourse its nice if you can get one.

As far as I know this cycle LECOM is not offering letters from a DO. I always thought that was a terrible idea anyway

just seems silly... why require it if it's that easy to get?

just seems silly... why require it if it's that easy to get?

My personal opinion is that the change came from a change in applicants. Before there were a lot less 'traditionally pre-md' folk aiming for DO school than now and with demographic changes in the application pool they're looking for students who are more explicitly interested in osteopathic medicine and having more extensive experience. Hence they're seeing the DO lor as a much bigger deal.