few questions from a newbie (yes, I already searched and read past posts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhD2MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon when I was in school, but unfortunately, was not able to maintain the grades needed to attend medical. I do think, podiatry, and podiatric surgury is a good alternative and more realistic goal.

I was wondering if anyone had any statistical info about the admission requirements at Scholl. I live in chicago now and therefore would not like to migrate from the area, plus I would like to practice here and do residencies here.

I have heard, by reading some of the these other threads, that some schools are must much last competitive to get into. However, I dont know how Scholl stacks up in the bunch.

I graduated in 2003 with a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Bio (3.08 GPA). Did 2 years of Cancer research and now am actually in finance. But I still love medicine and want to pursue a dream. As a non-tradional student, does this help my chances. I also took the GRE and got a 700Q, 490V, 5.5A. Would I stand a chance even applying to Schol?

Thanks all,

Members don't see this ad.

PhD2MD said:
Hey guys,

I always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon when I was in school, but unfortunately, was not able to maintain the grades needed to attend medical. I do think, podiatry, and podiatric surgury is a good alternative and more realistic goal.

I was wondering if anyone had any statistical info about the admission requirements at Scholl. I live in chicago now and therefore would not like to migrate from the area, plus I would like to practice here and do residencies here.

I have heard, by reading some of the these other threads, that some schools are must much last competitive to get into. However, I dont know how Scholl stacks up in the bunch.

I graduated in 2003 with a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Bio (3.08 GPA). Did 2 years of Cancer research and now am actually in finance. But I still love medicine and want to pursue a dream. As a non-tradional student, does this help my chances. I also took the GRE and got a 700Q, 490V, 5.5A. Would I stand a chance even applying to Schol?

Thanks all,

It is good to see that you have done some research about the Podiatry profession. However, I do recommend that you do spend some time shadowing Podiatrist as well. This will probably give you some idea what a Podiatrist does on a daily basis. As you have read in the past postings, Podiatry is not a substitute for Orthopedic Surgery. Remember that a Podiatrist does render some degree of routine foot care, in addition to foot and ankle surgery. Foot and Ankle Fellowship trained Orthopedic Surgeon do not usually render any routine foot care. The Orthopedic Surgeon would usually refer any routine foot care to a local Podiatrist or a Podiatrist that may be part of the Orthopedic group. Good luck.