Few really important questions/concerns about pre dental school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In2Infinity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, i have a few questions that i would really like to find the answersw for! if anyone out there has any info please tell...

firstly, is it essential to take anatomy or physiology? most D schools ive looked into won't list them as a pre req. Do having maybe one of these courses boost the way they view your transcript? Will it even make a difference to take this course? or will it just be a minor change to your GPA and have no real affect when they view your app.

Also going along with the first part, will the D school look mostly at the total GPAs? or will they brake down the transcript and look at the mark for each course individually?

What about a masters degree? does this make a big difference to how they view your application? Does it increase your GPA in any way?

Finally, i know this harder to answer but what should someone aim for for volunteering and shadowing, about 40 hours shadow, and 200+ for volunteer?

thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

firstly, is it essential to take anatomy or physiology? most D schools ive looked into won't list them as a pre req. Do having maybe one of these courses boost the way they view your transcript? Will it even make a difference to take this course? or will it just be a minor change to your GPA and have no real affect when they view your app.
Courses like Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, pharmacology, immunology, etc etc are considered upper level biology courses.... Most dental schools do NOT require them as pre-reqs HOWEVER, they highly recommend them to be taken before enrolling into d-school for obvious reasons.....

So to answer your question, its not absolutely necessary to take anatomy or physiology... but they might make you stand out better against the competition especially if you do very well in them. Dental schools hold these higher end biology courses with great regards.

Also going along with the first part, will the D school look mostly at the total GPAs? or will they brake down the transcript and look at the mark for each course individually?

What about a masters degree? does this make a big difference to how they view your application? Does it increase your GPA in any way?
The most important GPA is the undergrad GPA. The correct range is 3.5 (or higher) for the "big" 3. These include your overall, science, and BCP GPAs...... (BCP = Biology Chemistry Physics)

When you enroll into a masters program, your application (through AADSAS) will have 2 separate GPAs, one from your undergrad, and the 2nd from your masters. It is not necessary to do a masters to make yourself competitive if you got the right undergrad GPA.

Finally, i know this harder to answer but what should someone aim for for volunteering and shadowing, about 40 hours shadow, and 200+ for volunteer?
200 volunteering is fine (I think)....
40 shadowing is so-so.... I'd work it up to about a 100....

When it comes to shadowing and volunteering, there is no set limit really.... sure some d-schools require students to have a specific amount of shadowing hours (some 50, many others 100), but many d-schools just want to see you have done some shadowing

Are you sure dental schools consider all these classes upper level? At my university they are all considered lower level (below 300).

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure dental schools consider all these classes upper level? At my university they are all considered lower level (below 300).

I guess I didn't clarify... yeh they need to be 300 or 400 level to be considered higher end. The 200 level stuffs are not upper level.

Your school doesn't offer them in any 300/400?

I honestly don't think dental schools will care about the course number. Now, if you are taking "The Most Basic Introduction Ever to Microbiology: BIOSCI 201" compared to "Principles of Microbiology: BIOSCI 1200" then maybe the name of the class will tip them off. Just make sure you are taking a normal class that is well-suited for pre-health majors.

Ha I thought so. Yea, they do. I have personally only taken one upper level (biochemistry 351), and I am currently taking a biology internship with an oral surgeon (bio 491), but I do not know if they will consider that. My organic chemistry should be considered upper level, my professor received his doctorate from Harvard ha.

Ok so human anatomy at my university is second year...

it is a very tough course but will not be concidered an upper level course, and may have no real affect on the quality of my transcript? besides a minor GPA boost?

Ok so human anatomy at my university is second year...

it is a very tough course but will not be concidered an upper level course, and may have no real affect on the quality of my transcript? besides a minor GPA boost?

I doubt anyone around here REALLY knows the answer to this (unless they are admins of course)....

But in general, when you say higher end biology courses, you are really referring to the type of classes juniors and seniors take (the 300 and 400 level stuffs)

I would say take as many Biology based courses that you could. No, most schools do not require physiology, anatomy, microbiology, and biochem... however that is what you will be studying once you hit dental school. I had one dentist tell me that the classes at dental school are not harder than undergrad-- there are just a lot more classes at once. If you are not familiar with the courses you will struggle a lot more your first couple years. I would do everything I could to be exposed to the type of material seen your first year at school. It will make your life that much better.

Different schools look at different GPA's. Your overall GPA is broken down into pieces: Science GPA, biology GPA, chem GPA, etc. I think the most important GPA's are your overall, science, and biology. Which GPA the school emphasizes depends on the school.

About Shadowing and Volunteering- Do as much as you possibly can. I wouldn't set a limit or a base. Just do as much as you can. When you pick your volunteering- try to pick something you are passionate about or something that will spark conversation during your interview. When you are doing your shadowing- focus on general dentistry and be sure to visit at least 5 dental offices.

GOOD LUCK!

man.. i've only taken 0xx and 1xx level courses!!11 do u think adcoms will think i'm slacking??

They dont care. Schools just want to see most of their recommended courses on your transcript.