fiancee at Hopkins SOM and couldnt transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my fiancee is at Hopkins, i'm at another allopathic school.. wanted to transfer after 2nd yr but they said no spots available. apparently even though hopkins considers transfers only 2 have done so in the last 10 yrs.. sigh

(my school doesnt accept transfers period)

just sharing my story to re-emphasize how hard it is to transfer - now we have to wait at least another 2 yrs to reunite :(

Members don't see this ad.

What about electives during years 3 and 4? Couldn't you both try for electives at each others sites?

depending on how much away elective each of your schools give you, you could spend a considerable amount of time with each other in the 4th year. My school allowed 3 months away elective time so you could swing up to 6 months together. Third year you are pretty much out of luck at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also talked to the Dean regarding this. My fiancee is going to be applying next year, I'm starting as an MSI this year. We talked to the Dean about what we could do to help the process along, but his answer was basically "it's a crap shoot, sorry." I also got the "we don't accept transfer students here" speech which was added to the "we haven't taken an early decision applicant at Hopkins in the last 5 years.

Really kind of depressing. My fiancee has an excellent record and a good shot at Hopkins, but there are plenty of people out there with great records and plenty of people that slip through the cracks.

I dunno, the whole thing is just kind of depressing. I hope things work out for you guys somehow, I'm still crossing my fingers. :oops:

I'm pretty shocked considering you guys go to comparable schools.

Another option would be to try and transfer to a medical school closer. For example, if hopkins won't accept your app, you could try transfering to one of the medical schools in DC, or to university of Maryland. They may not be as prestigious as your current school though, but it's an option.

Hopkins has a pretty liberal away rotation policy, and she will get to do electives starting third year, if that's any consolation. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about that. I agree with Sledge2005's suggestion that one of you try to transfer to another school in the same area (i.e. you could apply to Georgetown or GW), if it's really unacceptable to you to be apart for another two years. I can't imagine how hard that would be--my fiance and I got really lucky and were both accepted to NYU SOM, where we are first years. I imagine it's much harder with a place of Hopkin's caliber to work out something like that, though. Anyway, you have my sympathy--I know how hard it must be to be apart for so long when you're engaged.

Or you could not take no for an answer and keep bombarding the Dean with correspondence. Persistence may work eventually.