Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

fiancee at Hopkins SOM and couldnt transfer

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by chef, May 2, 2004.

1. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

my fiancee is at Hopkins, i'm at another allopathic school.. wanted to transfer after 2nd yr but they said no spots available. apparently even though hopkins considers transfers only 2 have done so in the last 10 yrs.. sigh

(my school doesnt accept transfers period)

just sharing my story to re-emphasize how hard it is to transfer - now we have to wait at least another 2 yrs to reunite :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lexmark

Lexmark Member
    7+ Year Member

What about electives during years 3 and 4? Couldn't you both try for electives at each others sites?

4. BigBopper

BigBopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

depending on how much away elective each of your schools give you, you could spend a considerable amount of time with each other in the 4th year. My school allowed 3 months away elective time so you could swing up to 6 months together. Third year you are pretty much out of luck at most schools.

5. I also talked to the Dean regarding this. My fiancee is going to be applying next year, I'm starting as an MSI this year. We talked to the Dean about what we could do to help the process along, but his answer was basically "it's a crap shoot, sorry." I also got the "we don't accept transfer students here" speech which was added to the "we haven't taken an early decision applicant at Hopkins in the last 5 years.

Really kind of depressing. My fiancee has an excellent record and a good shot at Hopkins, but there are plenty of people out there with great records and plenty of people that slip through the cracks.

I dunno, the whole thing is just kind of depressing. I hope things work out for you guys somehow, I'm still crossing my fingers. :oops:

6. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm pretty shocked considering you guys go to comparable schools.

7. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Another option would be to try and transfer to a medical school closer. For example, if hopkins won't accept your app, you could try transfering to one of the medical schools in DC, or to university of Maryland. They may not be as prestigious as your current school though, but it's an option.

8. VienneseWaltz

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hopkins has a pretty liberal away rotation policy, and she will get to do electives starting third year, if that's any consolation. Good luck.

9. jennie 21

jennie 21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry to hear about that. I agree with Sledge2005's suggestion that one of you try to transfer to another school in the same area (i.e. you could apply to Georgetown or GW), if it's really unacceptable to you to be apart for another two years. I can't imagine how hard that would be--my fiance and I got really lucky and were both accepted to NYU SOM, where we are first years. I imagine it's much harder with a place of Hopkin's caliber to work out something like that, though. Anyway, you have my sympathy--I know how hard it must be to be apart for so long when you're engaged.

10. thewebthsp

thewebthsp Shoobeedoowap
    10+ Year Member

Or you could not take no for an answer and keep bombarding the Dean with correspondence. Persistence may work eventually.