Fica Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redheadmed

Soulless Gingerhead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what to do about this anymore. I have a great credit history except for 1 glaring mistake. I have disputed it twice (to no avail) once through the computor (a big mistake) and once through a letter. The collections company will not remove it from my credit report. It is a paltry amount that they claim I owe (less than a hundred dollars), but I know it is a mistake. I called the business when the alert 1st appeared on my credit report and they said my account was closed and owed nothing. I was permitted to close my account with the company when I moved, so how could I close the account if money was still owed?I have recently sent another letter pleading that they take this alert off my credit history so I can get loans for medical school. I even said I'd pay what they say I owe if they will just remove it from my credit report. I know they have the power to do it. I have heard nothing back. My fico score is low because of this one blemish. Every other piece of my credit history is perfect. I have read that just paying off a "debt" when you have supposedly owed it for a long time won't necessarily improve your fica score. Anyone know the pros/cons of just paying it? Not sure what to do. . .:(

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe a question for a lawyer -- if this information is false, can you threaten to sue? Perhaps a strongly worded letter on a law firm's letterhead (along with accompanying documentation) would get their attention?

I'm not normally an advocate of resorting to legal means to straighten things out, and I know the amount is really small -- but, if you've tried everything else, maybe this is a possibility. Anyway, maybe Law2Doc has something to add here?

I'm not quite sure what to do about this anymore. I have a great credit history except for 1 glaring mistake. I have disputed it twice (to no avail) once through the computor (a big mistake) and once through a letter. The collections company will not remove it from my credit report. It is a paltry amount that they claim I owe (less than a hundred dollars), but I know it is a mistake. I called the business when the alert 1st appeared on my credit report and they said my account was closed and owed nothing. I was permitted to close my account with the company when I moved, so how could I close the account if money was still owed?I have recently sent another letter pleading that they take this alert off my credit history so I can get loans for medical school. I even said I'd pay what they say I owe if they will just remove it from my credit report. I know they have the power to do it. I have heard nothing back. My fico score is low because of this one blemish. Every other piece of my credit history is perfect. I have read that just paying off a "debt" when you have supposedly owed it for a long time won't necessarily improve your fica score. Anyone know the pros/cons of just paying it? Not sure what to do. . .:(

What did the credit bureau say when you challenged the negative item and provided proof (a letter from the creditor)? Keep challenging the item in writing with proof (letter(s) from the creditor). Also, when you go to borrow money, bring your letter that shows that account was in good standing and challenge the lender's use of inaccurate information. Also, if there is something that can be paid, then pay it. If there is an actual debt you cannot get rid of this item without paying it. Good luck. Credit bureaus can be very very difficult to deal with.:luck: Best thing probably is to purchase a credit report monitoring service and making sure that any errors are cleared up immediately.