Fielding Graduate University Post-Bacc Certificate in Clinical Psychology - Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aj_in CA

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been researching the process of getting into a Clinical Psych PhD program for over a year and am finishing up my BS in Psych at Oregon State University ECampus (GPA 4.0). I work full time, so I've been hustling to check off as many boxes as possible, but there aren't any research opportunities through OSU's ECampus. Enter Fielding's post-bacc cert. in clinical psychology....

I'm planning on applying to multiple programs across the country (Southern Miss., UNC - Wilmington, Univ. of Maine as examples of programs I'm interested in). The challenge is getting research experience. Fielding has developed a post-bacc certificate that's a one-year program with six graduate-level classes and involvement in a research lab for the full year and after. As everything with these types of schools, the program isn't cheap. My thought process is that if completing this certificate will help me get into a PhD program with tuition waiver and a stipend, it could be a good decision.

Has anyone taken this program? Does anyone know anything about it?

P.S. I'm not a stranger to research. I have a BS in Forest Resources and Conservation from Univ. of Florida, where I worked as a TA and RA to one of my professors for two years and presented a poster at a research conference in 2002. Yep 20 years ago...

Members don't see this ad.

Do you live near any AMCs, colleges, anywhere where psych research is happening? I'd cold email some faculty around you and see what responses you get. Send your CV and mention your past lab work, that is a huge plus. You might have to volunteer some of your time, but better than paying someone for said experience, especially Fielding.

Reactions: 5 users
In addition to the above advice, which I second, there's the option of pursuing a research-oriented masters (e.g., in clinical psychology). The sticking points vs. the post-bacc would be time invested (probably two years vs. one) and cost. If the masters is cheaper, I personally would likely go that route. I personally don't know anything about Fielding's post-bacc program itself, so I can't speak to its quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) I talk a LOT of smack. Some might even say I do it professionally. The only time I’ve been threatened with a lawsuit is when talking smack about Fielding. That should tell you something.

2) I think it would be easier to call up your old PI, ask them if you can re-analyze the data for some human factors (e.g., how people’s choose where to poop in the woods, as reflected by localized soil quality, or something). Present a poster. Create some narrative about how your previous research was human research. And how your current work is an extension of that line of thought. Maybe tie that narrative into the interests of PIs at the schools you’re applying to. Bonus points for targeting some hippie professor who likes hiking.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I would avoid Fielding. It will make your application look worse for many PIs. Feel free to share your location here or PM me - but as others have said, reach out to your old profs or ones at any local university or AMC.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think a psych major with a 4.0 needs a post-bacc.
Maybe not, but what if that leads to a research position or a poster presentation with a professor's lab? Anything past a bachelors is a 'resume builder' for those applying to doctoral programs, yes? Unless that individual is accepted straight out of undergrad, which in my experience of most applicants is rare....most folks I know got Masters, post-baccs, did few years research in paid-positions, worked in other fields for experience & to save $, etc.

But, that's my 'N=1' perspective. So if a post-bacc is a choice, I say go for the good ones, like Teacher's College.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) I talk a LOT of smack. Some might even say I do it professionally. The only time I’ve been threatened with a lawsuit is when talking smack about Fielding. That should tell you something.

2) I think it would be easier to call up your old PI, ask them if you can re-analyze the data for some human factors (e.g., how people’s choose where to poop in the woods, as reflected by localized soil quality, or something). Present a poster. Create some narrative about how your previous research was human research. And how your current work is an extension of that line of thought. Maybe tie that narrative into the interests of PIs at the schools you’re applying to. Bonus points for targeting some hippie professor who likes hiking.
Haha! No, you make an excellent point and I agree. I do think it helps my case a little bit that my prior BS specialty was in Ecotourism and the research we did was about peoples' motivations for using natural resources, what they're looking for in its use, and then taking those results and applying them to a land management plan for multiple user groups. So, really, it was social science based, which is my jam.

Do you live near any AMCs, colleges, anywhere where psych research is happening? I'd cold email some faculty around you and see what responses you get. Send your CV and mention your past lab work, that is a huge plus. You might have to volunteer some of your time, but better than paying someone for said experience, especially Fielding.
I live near Temecula, so I do know that there are multiple universities within an hour or so that are involved in psych research of some kind or another. I don't mind volunteering, so I'll definitely look into seeing if I can get involved in their labs.

In addition to the above advice, which I second, there's the option of pursuing a research-oriented masters (e.g., in clinical psychology). The sticking points vs. the post-bacc would be time invested (probably two years vs. one) and cost. If the masters is cheaper, I personally would likely go that route. I personally don't know anything about Fielding's post-bacc program itself, so I can't speak to its quality.
I've been thinking about that as well. I do actually think it would be cheaper and then I'd have a Master's out of it, too.

I would absolutely prefer to do some kind of in-person program, but of course I work full-time M-F 8-5, so I've been looking at online Master's programs. What are your thoughts on those if they're obtained from a legitimate university?

Seeing this name on an application is a red flag to some.
Yes, that's what I've been reading, so I'm very cautious about their programs. The info session I attended was run by the director of the post-bacc cert program who has her PhD from Univ. of Texas - Austin, which lends a more legit feeling to the program for me. But I don't want to be too excited and end up wasting time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe not, but what if that leads to a research position or a poster presentation with a professor's lab? Anything past a bachelors is a 'resume builder' for those applying to doctoral programs, yes? Unless that individual is accepted straight out of undergrad, which in my experience of most applicants is rare....most folks I know got Masters, post-baccs, did few years research in paid-positions, worked in other fields for experience & to save $, etc.

But, that's my 'N=1' perspective. So if a post-bacc is a choice, I say go for the good ones, like Teacher's College.
Yes, that's my thought process. I know that so many (most?) applicants have at least a year in undergrad research or maybe a year or two post-undergrad, so other idea of applying to a program without any real research experience outside of my coursework makes me a little anxious. I'll have to check out the Teacher's College post-bacc program. I don't mind putting in the work and the money as long as it's a good program where I can learn and practice the tools I need to be effective.

I would avoid Fielding. It will make your application look worse for many PIs. Feel free to share your location here or PM me - but as others have said, reach out to your old profs or ones at any local university or AMC.
I'm near Temecula, CA about an hour north of San Diego and about an hour south of Riverside. Loma Linda University is also about 45 minutes away and I know they have APA accredited PhD and PsyD programs. They're just very expensive and I'd prefer to get into a program that will potentially at least partially fund me.

I'm near Temecula, CA about an hour north of San Diego and about an hour south of Riverside. Loma Linda University is also about 45 minutes away and I know they have APA accredited PhD and PsyD programs. They're just very expensive and I'd prefer to get into a program that will potentially at least partially fund me.
Oh, I inquired about your location in terms of finding research opportunities, not picking grad programs! 🙂 If you are willing to go in person once or twice to onboard, there might be a prof at UCSD/SDSU/San Diego VA who is willing for you to do some volunteer research remotely.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer your questions very bluntly: I do not think it is worth paying for a post-bacc experience. I do not think it will be worth it. You can get what you need by volunteering at a local university (UCSD/SDSU/San Diego VA would look great to many PIs). Focus your energy on trying to get another poster presentation/pub. Or you could apply for a paid full-time post-bacc position (doesn't pay much but way better than paying for a post-bacc). Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, I inquired about your location in terms of finding research opportunities, not picking grad programs! 🙂 If you are willing to go in person once or twice to onboard, there might be a prof at UCSD/SDSU/San Diego VA who is willing for you to do some volunteer research remotely.
Oh totally. I figured that. :) And thanks for the suggestion. I'm absolutely going to look into that option and see if I can work with someone there. I'd absolutely love to. I really appreciate your help.

To answer your questions very bluntly: I do not think it is worth paying for a post-bacc experience. I do not think it will be worth it. You can get what you need by volunteering at a local university (UCSD/SDSU/San Diego VA would look great to many PIs). Focus your energy on trying to get another poster presentation/pub. Or you could apply for a paid full-time post-bacc position (doesn't pay much but way better than paying for a post-bacc). Good luck!
Thanks so much for your input. I actually tend to agree with you. I'd rather get true research experience and network with others in the field, so I think I'm going to look into going that route.

Yes, that's what I've been reading, so I'm very cautious about their programs. The info session I attended was run by the director of the post-bacc cert program who has her PhD from Univ. of Texas - Austin, which lends a more legit feeling to the program for me. But I don't want to be too excited and end up wasting time and money.
There are some areas in which a hybrid/online masters may not be viewed negatively, but psychology, by and large, isn't one of those fields. In your case, you're not getting the masters because you had a low undergrad GPA or you need to get some extra psychology coursework, so the masters itself is sort of window dressing. You'd be doing it primarily for the research experience, which is going to be substantially limited in an online program (as far as I know). So I'd probably recommend against an online program unless they're able to guarantee your ability to participate in a research lab in a meaningful way (i.e., that could legitimately result in some type of product, such as a poster or publication), and they require that you complete a thesis using an experimental study design.

Oh totally. I figured that. :) And thanks for the suggestion. I'm absolutely going to look into that option and see if I can work with someone there. I'd absolutely love to. I really appreciate your help.
My California geography is not the best (but I do have some family in orange county). While folks at the UCSD/VA La Jolla/SDSU would be GREAT, I would also plug UC Irvine depending on your interests. There is a ton of interesting research going on there (at least in my sub-field of clinical psych), so it may be worth looking into as another option when you start cold-emailing PIs.

EDIT: Heck... even UCLA might be worth reaching out to if you can do a few in-person meetings but then work primarily virtually on the task.

Yes, that's my thought process. I know that so many (most?) applicants have at least a year in undergrad research or maybe a year or two post-undergrad, so other idea of applying to a program without any real research experience outside of my coursework makes me a little anxious. I'll have to check out the Teacher's College post-bacc program. I don't mind putting in the work and the money as long as it's a good program where I can learn and practice the tools I need to be effective.
I'm a bit bias bc I love my city: living in NYC would be an incredible experience with lots of opportunity (all my postgraduate education & training happened in the NYC area), especially since you're from CA. Best of luck. 🍀