fifth pathway quesion......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raminder26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the average USMLE score of admitees in the fifth pathway, and why do they say that the MCAT is required?? Is this true, I know of people that did not even finish college and did the fifth pathway after USMLE step I, whats the deal??

Members don't see this ad.

The fifth pathway program was founded for U.S. citizens studying medicine abroad in countries that require a year of internship and social service. The fifth pathway allows U.S. citizens to bypass the internship year and social service year. New York Medical College is the only remaining medical school that has the fifth pathway program. 99% of the students come from UAG. I know of only two countries that require the internship and social service years. These two countries are Mexico and Philippines. There may be others but I have no information on that. The only requirement is a passing score on USMLE step 1. When applying to the fifth pathway program you are applying to New York Medical College and they require MCAT scores and transcripts from a U.S. university. During the fifth pathway you will rotate in internal medicine, general surgery, OB/GYN, pediatrics, psychiatry, and 2 months of electives.

When jrg00 says, "The only requirement is a passing score on USMLE step 1," I'm not sure exactly what s/he means, because then s/he says, "When applying to the fifth pathway program you are applying to New York Medical College and they require MCAT scores and transcripts from a U.S. university."

This is true. To do 5PW, you must meet all the prerequisites you would to get into a US med school, i.e., have the MCAT and certain classes. You also must have a bachelor's degree (unlike for US med school when you can enter with ~90 credits).

Questions on 5PW have been asked a lot here. By saying this I am not trying to discourage you from asking, only suggesting that you can get a lot of info if you do a search of the site for "5PW, 5th Pathway, fifth pathway," etc. Please post any other questions you have that aren't covered by the previous posts.

You should also go to the AMA's site ( <a href="http://www.ama-assn.org" target="_blank">http://www.ama-assn.org</a> ), and search for Fifth Pathway (under ECFMG certification section). And then there's the NYMC site: <a href="http://www.nymc.edu/depthome/fifth.asp" target="_blank">http://www.nymc.edu/depthome/fifth.asp</a>

Oh, almost forgot: you asked about the average USMLE score. I don't think data like that has ever been compiled. In order to get into 5PW, you must pass Step 1, so by definition, everyone who's admitted has higher than 182.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks for the info!! Yeah I guess you are right, I can look at some fact filled website, and get bored out of my mind. I would like to know first hand from someone who has been there though. I have a DAT from back home, but no MCAT, does this mean I am ineligible, and what other schools represent the 5PW? I am from Hungary, and I am a US citizen, why do people say that the program is so competitive, that some 85 on the USMLE step I is required? The 5PW website used to have a discussion forum, but that go cancelled I do not know why. Anyway, thanks for the info, and I can get in with just a passing USMLE score, then why do people say otherwise, maybe that does not apply to non AUG students.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Raminder26:
•hey thanks for the info!! Yeah I guess you are right, I can look at some fact filled website, and get bored out of my mind. I would like to know first hand from someone who has been there though. I have a DAT from back home, but no MCAT, does this mean I am ineligible, and what other schools represent the 5PW? I am from Hungary, and I am a US citizen, why do people say that the program is so competitive, that some 85 on the USMLE step I is required? The 5PW website used to have a discussion forum, but that go cancelled I do not know why. Anyway, thanks for the info, and I can get in with just a passing USMLE score, then why do people say otherwise, maybe that does not apply to non AUG students.•••••Raminder - the reason the 5PW is so competitive is that there is a LIMITED number of spots per year and MULTITUDES of students applying for them. Simply passing the USMLE Step 1 does not guarantee you a spot. Many students at schools requiring a social intern year (ie, AUG) attempt the 5PW as do numerous other IMGs.

Man you should spend less time on this board and more time studying for the Egyes Bel final exam... Dr. Szabo's gonna rock your world! lol, hey bro, good to see a fellow DOTE med stud here...

Hey whats up man! Yiah you are right, that exam does seem hard at the moment. However, I think Parag will rock my world, hopefully he is better than Jenu, I will contact you later, peace.