Fifth Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VERAJAN

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you already know there is an existing fifthpathway program in the NYMC in New York. The good news is that there is a new fifthpathway program sponsored by the Ponce School of Medicine in Puerto Rico. But I am told that the diference is that in New York the state grants you the MD title and in PR they dont give you the MD title. Both programs, with the certificate of the fifthpathway, allow you to enter the match and obtain a residency.

When you present the boards of your specialty do you have to have as a requierement the MD title? If you apply to a subspecialty do you nedd this title?

Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Actually they do give you the MD. I already know of one who came from mexico who is doing that. You should call the school and look into it. This will give you a better chance to get into a residency in the US. I'm not sure though if you have to be a US citizen or not. So, look into it. Here's the Admission's number 787-840-5275 Ext. 2131. Good luck.

While it's true that you can get the MD from NY after 5PW, they don't exactly "give" it to you. You have to apply for licensure in NY, and if you meet the requirements (including paying fees), you can also apply for the degree which the Regents of the State University of NY grants.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/medlic.htm

Also, having the MD or not has no bearing on the type of residency you'll get. 5PW allows you to enter the Match as an Independent Applicant (no ECFMG certification required), and almost all who participate in 5PW get a residency slot, unless they don't pass Step 2 in time, etc. No one who does 5PW has the MD from NY by the time they finish. And some never get it, but still getting their residency spot, then eventually being licensed and practicing without it. NYS requires you work one year before you can even apply (doesn't have to be in NY). The link below might help.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/printcat/1555.html

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a med student, there was a guy who did 5th Pathway, and he said that he actually didn't have the degree, proper, and he had talked about the "degree of conferral" from NY, and he wasn't concerned, because he got a fine job in LA, doing worker's comp physicals.

Originally posted by Apollyon
When I was a med student, there was a guy who did 5th Pathway, and he said that he actually didn't have the degree, proper, and he had talked about the "degree of conferral" from NY, and he wasn't concerned, because he got a fine job in LA, doing worker's comp physicals.

A "fine job", eh? Sounds pretty miserable to me, no independence, no continuity of care, etc.

9-5, Monday through Friday, weekends and holidays off, buckets of cash, and he's in LA....

No continuity is one of the reasons I'm in EM - "treat 'em & street 'em", "see 'em, sew 'em, see ya", whatever else.

Darn sight better than 100 hours a week in an OR or something (<---- TOTALLY joking!).

Originally posted by Apollyon
9-5, Monday through Friday, weekends and holidays off, buckets of cash, and he's in LA....

No continuity is one of the reasons I'm in EM - "treat 'em & street 'em", "see 'em, sew 'em, see ya", whatever else.

Darn sight better than 100 hours a week in an OR or something (<---- TOTALLY joking!).

I wasn't trying to make this a surgery vs medicine, etc. discussion. I can find plenty of interesting things in other fields of medicine and while I don't doubt that your friend has great hours, makes money, etc. but I'd think doing the same thing, time and time again would be a tad boring - does he find any challenge or interest in his work?

Just wondering...I guess to each his own.

If you have a fifthpathway certificate you are allowed to enter a residency program in the states or in Puerto Rico. Lets say that you do not apply for the MD title. Would that be a problem for getting a fellowship in any specialty? Would it be a problem for taking the boards of your chosen specialty?

Thank you all for all the info

It should not be a problem. For all intents and purposes, no one cares about MD or no MD when it comes to 5PW after you've secured a residency, and then been licensed. You have met the academic requirements of the MD by completing 4 yrs of school; you have "proven" yourself in a year of AMA-approved "supervised clinical training," and you have secured a residency position at an ACGME-accredited program. Fellowship-shmellowship! And to take specialty boards (although I may be wrong about this), I think you only have to meet the criteria imposed by the governing body of that specialty and CREOG.

As I said in my previous message, most people who complete 5PW never get the MD, either from UAG (if applicable) or from NYS, and they enter residency (and get fellowships) without a hitch. I think you are working yourself into a tizzy for nothing...

This was a big issue in last semester at my school. In a conference last semester the dean pointed the diference between the two fifthpathways as being the granting of the MD title. He went as far as to say that you could enter a residency by doing the fifthpathway in PR but that possibly you could not get out. He made the MD title sound important for your future as a doctor. Your information is really appreciated.

I'm a June 2003 grad of UAG and currently in 5PW. Initially (a few years ago) I planned to pay UAG the extra $3000 per year for 5PW (to count as internado) and first year of residency (to count as social service) to get the MD. I wanted to do it because I figured that if I was going through the whole process at UAG, I wanted those two little letters after my name, for real. Many of my classmates kept saying, "WHY?!" especially because when you do 5PW and can enter a residency afterward, you end up in the same place as everyone else who goes through residency -- that is, you end up a practicing physician in the US. So many of them planned (and still plan) not to get the MD by any means.

After I found out about the NYS option, I decided to go that way. It's a lot cheaper and you don't have to go back to Guad to take the examen profesional.

Like I said, the majority of the people in my class aren't going for the NYS or the UAG option to get the MD and they plan to do residency and fellowships. Do it if it's important to you, but realize you don't need to.