Fifth year of undergrad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiUPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a sophomore Microbiology / Medical Lab Science major and I had a few questions about applying for med school. As it stands now, I will probably be in school for five years (mostly to boost my GPA), and I was wondering if I should then take the MCAT / apply for med school my senior year (as opposed to junior year)? Secondly, as indicated I also have a major in medical lab science (mostly because I'm interested in pathology as a medical specialty). This major requires a year long internship, which would take place after earning my degree in Microbiology (essentially after I graduate). I was just wondering how this internship would look on a med school application and if missing a year between undergrad and med school (again, due to the internship) would affect my chances? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am currently a sophomore Microbiology / Medical Lab Science major and I had a few questions about applying for med school. As it stands now, I will probably be in school for five years (mostly to boost my GPA), and I was wondering if I should then take the MCAT / apply for med school my senior year (as opposed to junior year)? Secondly, as indicated I also have a major in medical lab science (mostly because I'm interested in pathology as a medical specialty). This major requires a year long internship, which would take place after earning my degree in Microbiology (essentially after I graduate). I was just wondering how this internship would look on a med school application and if missing a year between undergrad and med school (again, due to the internship) would affect my chances? Thanks!
I would think a gap year of doing research/internship would make a stronger applicant. Definitely not going to hurt.

Wait so is the fifth year the internship year or is it going to be five years + intership year for six years?

Anyway you'll probably be applying between the fourth and fifth school year if it's going to be five years total or between the fifth and sixth school year if it's going to be six years total. Application season starts in the summer so it's easier to think of it as kind of "in between" school years. You can take the MCAT whenever you want so if you want to take it during/after the third year you can do that. Your MCAT is only good for three years at most places though so keep that in mind when deciding when to take it (so a chance bust application season doesn't result in you having to take the MCAT again). Having an extra year of research will work in your favor at most places so don't worry about that.