Fifth year seniors....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoonGlo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in college with approx. 30 credit hours... What happens if by the time I am between my junior and senior year (the time I will apply to med school) I realize that I can't get through my last year of college with enough credits to graduate? Would I forfeit going to med school to finish graduation? Should I start taking summer classes now to ensure I can graduate in four years?

Members don't see this ad.

moonglo, how many credits are required for graduation? it totally depends on that. My school requires 120 credit hours in order to graduate, period. is the 30 hours you are talking about from the entire 2 years? cuz if you have requirements that are similar to mine, you are gonna have to haul ass to graduate on time. But before you panic, definitely check on your college's own standards.

MoonGlo, you might want to consider meeting with an academic advisor and plan out a four year program for you, if that's how much time you want to get out to assure that you're heading the right path....

Aside from that, some, not all, medical schools will allow you to default for a year.... specifics of that I don't know....

Members don't see this ad :)
no its 30 hours in one year. I'm just afraid that I won't graduate on time. I have just heard that it takes "most" people 5 years to graduate

You have to either

1- Know exactly what you want to do and stick to it for 4 years.

OR

2- Switch around a little but be willing to put in a few summer-semesters.

I switched majors a couple times, but managed to get out in 4. 2 summers in school did the trick.

Or you could know what you want to do and graduate in 3 years, which is the route I am taking. Only 1 year left, woohoo !

Relax, you have nothing to worry about. Your question reminds me of how I felt my sophomore year.

First off, don't you ever plan to stay at school during a summer session? Or take any summer classes?

If not, and if you know what your major is now and you don't switch, graduating on time will NOT be a problem. I don't mean to sound harsh, but if a load of 15 credits a semester is too tough, then you might want to reevaluate pursuing something as challenging as medicine.

I doubt that's the case, however. Look, here is the deal. We are young... there is no reason to rush medicine. Say you graduate in four in a half years... that leaves 8 months before med school to travel the world... do a study abroad maybe... work a cool job, live your life.

All in all, the average matriculation age for medical schools now a days is a lot higher than you might think... i heard it's like 24 (but it varies from school to school). It's surely not the young, virgin age of 22! What does that tell you? Well... people are going to medical school with life experiences... so join the club. It helps your application status also

Good luck

Leon