Fight for the Profession: Physicians, Residents, Med Students ONLY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jetproppilot said:
cmon, mountain/Slim, reply to this so we can put a spot on you, and make sure you are who you say you are.
again...this guy is hypocritical

he stated in a nother post of his, that things shouldnt get personl. When i believe it was David who called out Nitecap, you were the oen that stated that essentially we should keep it to SDN.

So what gibves tough guy? got under yoru southern skin? a little bipolar tendency i see.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

OK, business man (slim), I would like you to answer how to solve my business problem with your all MD model.

A practice generates a certain amount of revenue. The amount is based on the number of cases done, type of insurance the patients carry, and the ability of the patients to pay their bills.

In my practice, the revenue (fairly constant over the last year) is enough to provide the MGMA median income for the South East for 8 physicians.

Our practice covers up to 18 anesthetizing locations simultaneously. If we told the hospital that we would provide 100% MD only coverage (meaning one on one, no persons out doing preops, blocks, etc.), and they could fire their CRNAs, we would have to hire a minimum of 10 new MDs.

That is a minimum of 10...not including MD coverage for vacations, post call days, etc.

So, I would like to hear your solution to this business problem.

1) where do I find 10 new MDs
2) with the revenue generated (and reveue will likely go down because of the added inefficiencies of an all MD group), everyone would get paid about 100,000 + benefits......where do I find 10 new MDs willing to get paid what I got paid for the last 11 years in the Navy.

Mr. successful business man since he was 19....how do you solve my business problem?

dew,

Just out of curiosity, where are you in your life.

med student
intern
resident
attending

???

and what business did you run successfully since you were 19?

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
OK, business man (slim), I would like you to answer how to solve my business problem with your all MD model.

A practice generates a certain amount of revenue. The amount is based on the number of cases done, type of insurance the patients carry, and the ability of the patients to pay their bills.

In my practice, the revenue (fairly constant over the last year) is enough to provide the MGMA median income for the South East for 8 physicians.

Our practice covers up to 18 anesthetizing locations simultaneously. If we told the hospital that we would provide 100% MD only coverage (meaning one on one, no persons out doing preops, blocks, etc.), and they could fire their CRNAs, we would have to hire a minimum of 10 new MDs.

That is a minimum of 10...not including MD coverage for vacations, post call days, etc.

So, I would like to hear your solution to this business problem.

1) where do I find 10 new MDs
2) with the revenue generated (and reveue will likely go down because of the added inefficiencies of an all MD group), everyone would get paid about 100,000 + benefits......where do I find 10 new MDs willing to get paid what I got paid for the last 11 years in the Navy.

Mr. successful business man since he was 19....how do you solve my business problem?
slick

would be glad to consult. Tell me these things first.

How many CRNAs are in your practice. How many AAs. What are each of their salaries. What is your salary and that of your partners. How many rooms are tehre. how many locations are available for preop/post op.

mountaindew2006 said:
slick

would be glad to consult. Tell me these things first.

How many CRNAs are in your practice. How many AAs. What are each of their salaries. What is your salary and that of your partners. How many rooms are tehre. how many locations are available for preop/post op.

Don't you read?

The CRNAs are not a part of my practice. I don't hire them. I don't pay them.

My practice generates enough revenue to provide mgma median (meaning half the people where I live make more and the other half make less) for 8 MDs.

Don't your read?

I said 18 anesthetizing locations simultaneously...meaning at any one time there needs to be 18 bodies sitting on stools, dumping urine, and moving tables.

If we had 18 MDs , we would make 100,000 each + benefits....That is working post call and no vacation.

I'll tell you right now, that is less than what the hospital pays the CRNAs.

And I'll tell you right now, my hospital does not want to employ physicians, and they don't want to stroke a check to us to improve our income in an all MD model.

That's life in the South...I don't make the rules.

How would you solve this?

militarymd said:
If we had 18 MDs , we would make 100,000 each + benefits....That is working post call and no vacation.

And I'll tell you right now, my hospital does not want to employ physicians, and they don't want to stroke a check to us to improve our income in an all MD model.

Mil, You could cut down to 9 rooms and book them first come first serve. Run those 9 rooms til midnight or whenever all the cases for the day are done. THat ought to get you a ton a applications from MD's. :laugh:

I'm with you man, I don't see any other way. :thumbdown:

militarymd said:

way to go bud...cant read either huh?

I asked for the monetary brkdown because I wanted to know the 'pool' of money the hosp is spending for anesth personell. you said 18 anesthetizing locations...that could mean 18 hosp, 18 rooms, 18 what?

Slick, want to know the best way to solve the problem...atleast the financial one? Of course, because of unworkables like you it would be hard to pull of.

The 'group' leader of the anesthesiologist group goes to the admin of the hosp and states...look if in two weeks we do not have more MDs, and if we arent compensated (for argument sake 300K) we will be forced to go on strike. Furthermore, we want CRNAs ONLY to be working on MAC cases, preop/scut care (liek starting IVs, sticking in foleys, dumping urine, etc). If these terms arent meant....the 'group' will be on strike. Guess what this entails....UNITY and LOYALITY among the group. You think you would do that...prolly not because you ahve no sense of that. If the anesthesiologists went on strike and were asking for more $$, more MDs, less CRNAs....then NO surgeries would go on. Surgeons would be pist. The hosp would get BAD publicity. do you think a hosp this day and age would want that? use some common sense. A hospt would NEVER want that.

So you think they'll hire X nubmer of Anesthesiologists. well they may try to. but first of all, the hosp would want to have a sit down w/ the group leader and negotiate. 9/10 times given the severe consequences they would concede. But for argument sake let's say the hosp hires a few MDs when they find that you are going to go on strike. Well, these guys will be 'black balled' from the anesthesiology community and would never have a chance at a local group. would they actually want to be put into that situation?

So.....going back to what I said. This kind of set up would not occur unless there was UNITY and LOYALTY among group members. Outliers could not exist. is it balsy? certainly. would it work? absolutely. By doing this, more MDs would have jobs in 'non rural areas'. CRNAs would then be shoved of to PODUNCT,etc. Give this idea to the local CRNA lobby group, they'll do it in a flash. How many times have I seen hosp personel (aside from MDs) go on/threaten strikes and the hosp actually implements change? happens alot these days.

YOu want to know what kind of business I got into at the ageof 19 right? I'll give you a clue. Let's take a series of 5 exits on a MAJOR highway. Let's take X amount of hotels which inlcude holiday inns, motel 8, brand X hotel whatever. Let's say the owners of all the hotels got together and said look...we all want to increase revenue. None of us want to go broke. IF ALL of us that own hotels on these 5 exits charge at a MINIMUM $70 for a 2 adult room, we can all profit. What did that mean? IT WAS AN ALL OR NONE deal. We all had to charge the same minimum, infact 'raising' the bar. You want to know what happened slick? I'm sure you've got common sense to figure it out.

In a similar manner....if all the MDs in the area/hosp/region got together and decided...LOOK these are the working conditions and THIS is how we are going to run our practices....GUess whats going to transpire??

doesnt take a genius SLICK, just some business savvy. this is why there are sooo many docs going out of business and getting raped by the CRNAs...when it comes to soem basic economics, some ppl just dont get it.

it's because anesthesiologists historically have never stood up and held firm ground that we are at the position we are in right now. It's nto common to talk to anesthesiologists (esp older ones) who say that the field is nto 'respected'. They say that they get no repect from the OR nurses, the srugeons, etc. Part of that could be because many of the 'older' anesthesiologists were female/DO/FMGs,etc beign under the mercy of the 'Caucasian" dominating surgeon (you could refer to the article sited by a Univ of Chicago prof that I previously posted on a thread to verify). There was a study done on who best to administer Abx preoperatively. Who's pt and who's job was it initially to do this? The surgeons. Guess what the surgeons said....screw that, let the preop nurses do it. Then those nurses said, "we're soooooo busy, blah blah" we dotn have time...the Anesthesiologists should do it. Guess who finally gets shafted w/ administering Abx (oh and dont forget to chart it....) even though he/she has X nubmer of OTHER perioperative issues to deal w/.

Like I said...it's time for this new generation of anesthesiologist to have steel balls. Step up to the plate. When jobs that should be doen by others are handed down...show resistance IN NUMBERS. thats how things get done.

mountaindew2006 said:
YOu want to know what kind of business I got into at the ageof 19 right? I'll give you a clue. Let's take a series of 5 exits on a MAJOR highway. Let's take X amount of hotels which inlcude holiday inns, motel 8, brand X hotel whatever. Let's say the owners of all the hotels got together and said look...we all want to increase revenue. None of us want to go broke. IF ALL of us that own hotels on these 5 exits charge at a MINIMUM $70 for a 2 adult room, we can all profit. What did that mean? IT WAS AN ALL OR NONE deal. We all had to charge the same minimum, infact 'raising' the bar. You want to know what happened slick? I'm sure you've got common sense to figure it out.

Did you actually own one of these hotels at 19, or is this just some sort of allegory for your crack-dealing business? In the context of your hotel example, isn't that known as "price fixing?" Wouldn't that be "illegal?"

(just kiddin' about the crack dealing :smuggrin: )

Andy15430 said:
Did you actually own one of these hotels at 19, or is this just some sort of allegory for your crack-dealing business? In the context of your hotel example, isn't that known as "price fixing?" Wouldn't that be "illegal?"

(just kiddin' about the crack dealing :smuggrin: )
no crack dealing...sorry :laugh:

it is an allegory...and no it wasnt 'illegal'. You are talking about say "gas gauging'...ie in a time of crisis when ppl really need gas (hurricanes, etc) ppl 'jack' up the price for gas. I mean shoot. McDonalds can charge $100 bucks if they want (well prolly not a great example beacuse most are corporately owned) for a burger...will ppl buy them....probably not.

BTW...yes I was 19. As I said, I worked my butt of. Had good credit..good friends that pitched in to help start up, etc. Also, if GREAT customer care, etc is provided customers keep coming back (price isnt a issue for them when quality service is catered). :thumbup:

I'm not a lawyer, but what you describe certainly sounds like price fixing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing
http://business-law.freeadvice.com/trade_regulation/price_fixing.htm

Price gouging following a natural disaster is different than price fixing.

Sure, a McDonald's can charge 100 bucks for a burger if they want to, but if they get together with Burger King, Wendy's, and every other burger joint in the area and they all agree to charge 100 bucks, that is price fixing and is illegal (as I understand it).

Also, you've still never really explained where all these extra anesthesiologists will come from? If there aren't enough MD's to fill all the spots now, I don't see how your model can work.

Slim,

You sound soooo smart. You must have a MBA from Haaavard.

Anyways, when you finish college, medical school and get into residency and finish and get board certified, you probably take over all of anesthesia with your business sense.

The group that was here 4 years ago went on strike just like you said.

They are no longer here.

I'll let you in on a little secret....the surgeons DO NOT care who sits on the stool. You go on strike, and you are OPENING the door to CRNAs and saying please come here and take my job because I'm a fool who thinks too highly of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.