Fight for what is right

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What possible things can be done to improve patient care?
Does anyone have any constructive criticisms or comments that would open communication lines about the effectiveness, quality, and efficacy of military medicine? As officers and as professionals, should we not have a say about staffing, working conditions, and equipment? What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

medicine1 said:
What possible things can be done to improve patient care?
Does anyone have any constructive criticisms or comments that would open communication lines about the effectiveness, quality, and efficacy of military medicine? As officers and as professionals, should we not have a say about staffing, working conditions, and equipment? What is your opinion?

Administrators should listen to physicians about patient care issues like staffing, working conditions, and equipment.

Yes, in an ideal world you would think that administrators would listen to what physicians have to say. Here is some constructive criticism:

1) Leave physicians in place for longer than just a couple of years, along with the administrators. As it stands now most hospital CO's are only there for a couple of years at best, this stands the same for department chiefs and as such the one thing that they are most concerned with is punching their ticket to the next assignment and not stepping on anyone's toes. No one person is at a station long enough to want to invest the effort, pain and energy into implementing changes to a huge system.

2) Loose the "rank" system of the military. Having nurses that outrank the physicians and as such think that they don't have to follow orders or having nurses mandate patient care policy is ludicris. These become the dreaded "clipboard carriers" that are the bane of our existence.

3) Start taking JHACO for what it is worth.... NOTHING... JHACO is a private organization that was started to accredit hospitals, your hospital pays JHACO to accredit it and as such it has a vested interest in passing it's customers. Medicare standards are much more sensible. Clip board carriers love JHACO because it gives them power. Not only that, JHACO holds hospitals accountable to a minimum standard and then to their own standards.

4) Run it like a company, not like the government. In a military facility they have a fixed budget that is not based on production. They want to cut expenses to maximize this budget and patient care comes last. Our OR rooms close down from 15 to 6 at 1500 and 3 at 1800. In the real world, when a surgeon wants to do a case, he gets to do a case, at our facility, you have to beg and plead to do your case.

5) No cookie cutter medicine. CHCS II was just rolled out at our facility and it is geared (horribly at that) to a Family Practice Doc, not a surgical clinic. It is cumbersome, crappy and inefficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Capt_Mac said:
Yes, in an ideal world you would think that administrators would listen to what physicians have to say. Here is some constructive criticism:

1) Leave physicians in place for longer than just a couple of years, along with the administrators. As it stands now most hospital CO's are only there for a couple of years at best, this stands the same for department chiefs and as such the one thing that they are most concerned with is punching their ticket to the next assignment and not stepping on anyone's toes. No one person is at a station long enough to want to invest the effort, pain and energy into implementing changes to a huge system.

2) Loose the "rank" system of the military. Having nurses that outrank the physicians and as such think that they don't have to follow orders or having nurses mandate patient care policy is ludicris. These become the dreaded "clipboard carriers" that are the bane of our existence.

#1 I agree with you here 100%. I believe this was the impetus for the latest Army policy where they are trying to keep soldiers at the same base for longer periods of time and return them to the same bases as much as possible for changes in duty stations.

#2 Very interesting concept. I'm not sure what to think of this, maybe they could rank all doctors as the equivelant of an O5 and have nurses the equivalent of an O4 or something. Or maybe we would all end up as GS-???. An interesting idea to say the least though and I think worth some thought.

Capt_Mac said:
3) Start taking JHACO for what it is worth.... NOTHING... JHACO is a private organization that was started to accredit hospitals, your hospital pays JHACO to accredit it and as such it has a vested interest in passing it's customers. Medicare standards are much more sensible. Clip board carriers love JHACO because it gives them power. Not only that, JHACO holds hospitals accountable to a minimum standard and then to their own standards.

5) No cookie cutter medicine. CHCS II was just rolled out at our facility and it is geared (horribly at that) to a Family Practice Doc, not a surgical clinic. It is cumbersome, crappy and inefficient.

JCAHO: Nice idea, and I'm sure we all agree that JCAHO is pain in the butt, but since a hospital has to be JCAHO-accredited to recieve Medicare payments, it's not going to go away any time soon.

CHCSII: I've been hearing horror stories about this system for years, but never seen it 1st hand. I think my MTF is supposed to get it soon; keep us posted!

RMD 1-0-29

R-Me-Doc said:
JCAHO: Nice idea, and I'm sure we all agree that JCAHO is pain in the butt, but since a hospital has to be JCAHO-accredited to recieve Medicare payments, it's not going to go away any time soon.

CHCSII: I've been hearing horror stories about this system for years, but never seen it 1st hand. I think my MTF is supposed to get it soon; keep us posted!

RMD 1-0-29

nothing will get much better until the administrative design of military health care changes. That means that those who have the most responsibility, and usually the most insight and motivation to make health care better for everyone, until they get some authority to make it happen.

That is the docs.

As things stand, a clinic physician has almost no authority.

While this situation (docs with no authority) has been this way for some time; the stress placed on this system has markedly increased as demands to cut cost,see more patients,see more complex patients have all increased.