figure this one out. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
im going to be entering med school this fall, but for now i have a crappy job with the county. today i was chosen for a random urinalysis. i drank a powerade about 45 minutes before this, which was about 2.5 servings according to the label. i think 2hours before that i had a glass of water, so about a serving, iguess. i estimate i drank approx. 3.5 servings of liquid up to the time of the test. i urinated 15 minutes before they notified me of the test.

anyway, they tell to take a piss test and i go to the trestroom and manage to fil lthe cup up about 2/3. i come back and the lady pulls the tab off and tell me that i did something to the urine. she points out the specific gravity is not right. i swear to her that i didnt do anything to it and request somebody come watch me pee. she says to just go get a drink of water and do it again in a few minutes. i do that. i go fill the cup up a little under 2/3 this time. same damn result. she asks if i took anything to clean my system. i say no. she asks if i drank a lot of water trying to flush out my system. and i say not anymore than normal. well, we talk for awhile and she tells me that she is reporting that i tested negative, but the specific gravity was off. i offer to take a blood test or whatever because i dont want any misconceptions. i really didnt do anything to my urine. i dont do drugs or have an alcohol prob. she says they dont do that and to just go back to work. i really dont know what to expect from here.

well, after the test i noticed i was getting up to pee a lot today. i did have another powerade, but not enough to justify so much damn pissin. the urine was pretty much clear every time, and it tasted like. . .just kidding, didnt do the taste test. the bottom line is that i dont know what the heck is wrong. i looked some stuff up and a few of those symptoms, ie, low spec grav and lots of urination (how much is a lot though?), are consistent with diabetes but im not really thirsty, hungry, etc.

im not looking for a diagnosis. i would never do that over the internet. i just feel really bad that they prob think that i altered the sample, which I DID NOT. i have nothing to hide.

let me say that ill prob go to the doc if this keeps up, but for now, do any of yall know of any other reason why my specific gravity might be low?

capt

Members don't see this ad.

the specific gravity is low because you've been drinking excessively.

that would make sense if i drank excessive amts of fluid. however, by my calculations i had consumed just under what is considered normal. it was about mid day so normal would be about 4 servings. i had about 3.5.