Figuring out if Anesthesia is Right for Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just a medical student exploring options. I'm actually the president/founder of the anesthesia interest group at my medical school and wanted to see if it's a good fit for me. However, I've had an extremely hard time trying to shadow one and I don't think I will get exposure till I'm a MS4, is that common?

Some questions:

Do all anesthesiologists have to be morning people? I know most surgeries are scheduled in the morning but I really am not a morning person. I don't think I would enjoy waking up at 5 am everyday... I know it may sound immature but I prefer the 9-5 workday and even working at night...

Are anesthesiologists losing a lot of jobs to CRNAs and the future does not look well?

Any tips for promoting interest in my med school club and activities/things I should plan for meetings?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I'm just a medical student exploring options. I'm actually the president/founder of the anesthesia interest group at my medical school and wanted to see if it's a good fit for me. However, I've had an extremely hard time trying to shadow one and I don't think I will get exposure till I'm a MS4, is that common?

Some questions:

Do all anesthesiologists have to be morning people? I know most surgeries are scheduled in the morning but I really am not a morning person. I don't think I would enjoy waking up at 5 am everyday... I know it may sound immature but I prefer the 9-5 workday and even working at night...

Are anesthesiologists losing a lot of jobs to CRNAs and the future does not look well?

Any tips for promoting interest in my med school club and activities/things I should plan for meetings?

I get to the hospital at 0515 every morning to look up pt histories and plan my day. Most of my colleagues get in about 0630.

Everybody is different, but if you are looking for a 9 - 5 job, you are in the wrong type of school. You should be in business school, not med school.

No specialty has that kind of schedule, well maybe pathology or Rads, but even then, you are not going to enjoy residency.

I would advise that you re-align your expectations or transfer to business school.

As for the MD/CRNA question, do a search and you will find more opinions about that subject than you would care to read.

Honestly, from what you say above (which is all we have to go on), you will need to find a big bucket of commitment and determination someplace, or you are heading down a street you seriously don't want to be on, and probably shouldn't be on.

Everyone on earth is a reasonable bedtime and sleep hygiene tuneup away from being a morning person.

You ought to be able to get some time shadowing with an anesthesiologist well before MS4 time. My school had a 2-week anesthesia rotation as part of a MS3 surgical-subs rotation, and I deliberately scheduled my MS3 year so that it came early. Also ... any surgical rotation is an opportunity to spend some time with anesthesia. Just move over to our side of the drapes when the surgery chief isn't looking.

Search the forum for plenty of MD/CRNA debate and angst.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the hospital @ 7:15. See patient @ 7:20. Change as they wheel the patient back. In the room by 7:30. Easy cheesy for general cases.

You get out later though?

Not necessarily. Jan-march are slow. Sometimes we do 2 cases and go home. Sometimes we don't come in at all... Sometimes, during the heavy call days it's 7-midnight and then some. Pulled my first straight 24 hour marathon of the year last Monday. Meh... not a big deal. The check reflects that added effort.

7-2/3pm is pretty standard for us on non-call days.
We go down to 2-3 rooms after 3pm and 1 room after 7pm.

I want your job soooo bad. Now any chance you could just up and move your whole gig to the West Coast and I'm in for sure. ;)

I want your job soooo bad. Now any chance you could just up and move your whole gig to the West Coast and I'm in for sure. ;)

I wish man... I wish. We have our hiccups. No job is perfect and this one def. lacks in the location department. Overall, it's a pretty good gig. The key is to get out of town as much as possible and have fun... ;)

Last edited:
So almost all anesthesia jobs are 7-4, even in a private practice clinic?

Alright I have no idea now what I want to do haha.

In my world, the hours can be extremely unpredictable. I may get to the hospital at 6 AM or work an 18 hour shift including the overnight. I usually arrive at ~0645. During the four years of residency though is another story. Getting here at 6:30 would mean you were running way behind.
In addition, sometimes you might be done at 11 AM, sometimes 9 PM. It all depends on what is happening in the OR and where you fall on the call list.

Definitely not. I'll echo the chorus that the hours can be highly variable, depending on call, and tend to start on the early side.

If bankers' hours are important to you, there are a number of specialties, including banking, you might consider. These are largely clinic-based specialties with low acuity, such as derm, endocrinology, rheumatology, allergy, but also radiology (not clinic-based, but generally with good hours). All of these specialties have pros and cons, and some of them will be a huge stretch as a DO (derm, allergy), particularly a DO who is prioritizing work hours as much as you seem to be.

I mean I don't mind working late into afternoon, evenings or night. I'm just not a morning person and don't think I would enjoy getting up at 5 or 6 am for the rest of my life. However, I'm sure modifying sleep patterns and going to bed earlier would probably not be that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also an ms3 potentially interested in anesthesia here

How can I find out more about anesthesia as a career now that I am on rotations? When in the OR on obgyn/surgery, will it look bad if I chat up the anesthesiologist? Also, is anesthesia mostly managing CRNAs? What are some of the other duties of anesthesiology that aren't seen in the OR- e.g. clearing patients for surgery, running codes?

Last- in four years, what are the chances I can land one of those 325K starting jobs?

I get to the hospital at 0515 every morning to look up pt histories and plan my day. Most of my colleagues get in about 0630.

Everybody is different, but if you are looking for a 9 - 5 job, you are in the wrong type of school. You should be in business school, not med school.

No specialty has that kind of schedule, well maybe pathology or Rads, but even then, you are not going to enjoy residency.

I would advise that you re-align your expectations or transfer to business school.

As for the MD/CRNA question, do a search and you will find more opinions about that subject than you would care to read.

Honestly, from what you say above (which is all we have to go on), you will need to find a big bucket of commitment and determination someplace, or you are heading down a street you seriously don't want to be on, and probably shouldn't be on.

Just to correct a misconception that I see frequently stated re: rads. Rads is NOT 9-5 in the least. Rads is 24/7, unlike many specialties. In residency, while program dependent is 7-5, + call and call depends on your program. At my program there is quite a bit of call, weekends, etc. So definitely not a "cush" type of residency. I also see Derm tied in with "cush" type schedule, which I think is again a misconception. Depending on where you go, many derm residents are in by 7am, and sometimes don't leave til 6pm plus.
Many derms nowadays depending on patient volume work well past 5-6pm and are in by 7:30am.

I would say things like PMR have a pretty good schedule in general, particularly if you do outpt., preventive medicine type residency, etc.

But wanted to clarify the whole rads things above. Also should mention that while some attendings may work a more 8-5 or 6pm shift, many take call, have to come in, do weekends, etc.

I was not a morning person in my younger days and still ocasionally sleep in on my days off. But I come to work at 6:55, 6:15 if I have a heart, and it is easy because I love my job. It would be difficult going in to work at 9:00 if I did not enjoy my days. Having something to look forward to is a great motivator for getting up. And my schedule is not cush.

Not a "morning person," either, and I have to be in at 5 to start setting up the room when I'm on cardiac. And I have to have a routine in the morning, so I have to get up at 345-400.

I can't say that those months are "fun," but in general you will adapt if it means doing something you're interested in.

Some questions:

If you are brilliant and can think fast on your feet, clever, good with the ladies (or male nurses - whatever...), and hard working - anesthesiology is for you!

If you are just so so with the thinking - consider neurosurgery, radiology, or something like that. I would also say ortho as well, but then someone would repost that article I posted a while ago showing that ortho is smarter AND stronger than anesthesia.

If you are brilliant and can think fast on your feet, clever, good with the ladies (or male nurses - whatever...), and hard working - anesthesiology is for you!

If you are just so so with the thinking - consider neurosurgery, radiology, or something like that. I would also say ortho as well, but then someone would repost that article I posted a while ago showing that ortho is smarter AND stronger than anesthesia.

Oh Oh...

This can only end badly. :)

When in the OR on obgyn/surgery, will it look bad if I chat up the anesthesiologist?

Heh, my OB/GYN eval mentioned in the needs to improve area
"Showed more interest in Anesthesia than OB/GYN......blah blah":rolleyes:

I'd do it all over again, after all it's only your career.

Heh, my OB/GYN eval mentioned in the needs to improve area
"Showed more interest in Anesthesia than OB/GYN......blah blah":rolleyes:

I'd do it all over again, after all it's only your career.

Haha I wouldn't be shocked to see the same note on mine. I spent as much time on the other side as I could. OB anesthesia was really interesting especially the in office procedures doing essure coils, etc.

Btw do any of you attendings use doxapram in the hospital? I was told it's not commonly used due to cost.

who cares if it is earlier in the morning or whatever, i guess it all boils down to the number of hours you work. You will realize it is pretty nice to be fully functional at 6 am.

I am a MS4 currently on anesthesia rotation trying to see if I want to do it as a career. My interest was first sparked when I was on my surgery rotation in May and June. I like the work so far, but the only thing is that I feel like the OR is sometimes a hostile place that is not the most comfortable. Surgeons can be rude, condescending, or minimize anesthesia's request. Obviously this varies between whoever you are working with and there are certainly pleasant surgeons to work with. Is this common? Is it an academic thing? Or does it happen in the private world too?

I think it's more attending/surgeon specific. I just finished my anesthesia rotation at a NYC program and it wasn't uncommon for the attending surgeon and resident to be joking around before and after cases with the anesthesia team. But then this place is known for having a strong anesthesia dept so that might have something to do with it. The worst case scenario for me was that most were indifferent or just ignored us.

As for private, I would think the relation is much better since it's in both the surgeons and anesthesiologists interest to work together and efficiently.

As for private, I would think the relation is much better since it's in both the surgeons and anesthesiologists interest to work together and efficiently.

Very institution dependent. Our hospitals most everyone in the OR is friendly. The hospital and group across the street, surgeons don't speak with anesthesia and vice versa unless absolutely necessary and the antipathy flows both ways. We have had groups of surgeons change hospitals and are always surprised at the culture we have. At other places, it might just be the culture to "ignore" each other unless absolutely necessary to discuss patient care.

To the OP...

I don't know many 24 year olds who would consider themselves "morning" people. I am pretty sure if you polled most people, they would prefer to wake up everyday without an alarm clock, instead of 5 days a week to the sound of their alarm clock around 6 am.

I am sure most people want to make more money than less money
I am sure most people would prefer not to work weekends or holidays.
I am sure most people would prefer not to work 24 hr call and sleep in the hospital
I am sure most people would prefer to work a job or do daily tasks they enjoy instead of ones they despise

But guess what, not everyone gets to do exactly what they want. But guess what, in medicine, you can find several options that provide you with a lot of your preferences, but you may not get #'s 9, 21, and 37 on your dream job wish list.

As a physician, you will make more than A LOT of the population, but I am certain there will be people who make more than you, probably even at your hospital, maybe in your group. Physicians wake up early, OR guys like surgeons and anestehsiologists are usually in the hospital between 0630-0700 and even earlier during residency. Radiologists, psychiatrists, Family med docs are likely to get in later maybe 0800? Hopefully you go into a specialty you enjoy, but guess what, even in the specialty you enjoy there are going to be aspects you don't enjoy. Maybe you love your job but don't like that once a week you do a 24 hr in house call, but you do it anyway, because all other aspects are so great, and it's better than the job down the street where you would do call every fouth night.

My point is we make sacrifices.

If most people are like I described, than why do people do jobs than don't fit under some of their preferences???

Sometimes out of necessity
-Some people work two jobs (even doctors) out of necessity. Likely mostly financial either to pay off debt or to just make ends meet

Sometimes out of sacrifice or compromise
-Don't like every aspect of the job, but it is where the family wants to live, safe neighborhoods, beach is 10 mins away.

Sometimes out of greed
-This job sucks, but the pay is outrageous!! Sign me up!

Sometimes because we love the job
-I love my job. This week I performed a smooth awake intubation on a pt undergoing thyroidectomy for enlarged thyroid that was displacing the trachea on CT and causing dyspnea/SOB whille pt was supine and occasionally sitting up, plus I provided anesthesia for a 95 year old patient undergoing a bipolar hip arthroplasty, plus I performed a sweet sciatic plus saphenous nerve block for a patient undergoing internal fixation of a bimalleolar ankle fx where patient was still numb 24 hrs postop and said she slept like a baby and very appreciative, and I let our rotating medical student do a shoulder arthroscopy via the preop USG interscalene block and LMA combo much to his amazement of the power of regional anesthesia. Tomorrow I get to provide anesthesia for open heart surgery (CABG). I got to do all these things and the last three days I was home at 3p, 2p, and 12p.

I get paid nicely. I have great hours. I get a good amount of vacation time. I enjoy going to work....

I am not going to complain about waking up at 530 am.

Last edited:
It's all about perspective and how much you want to work and what you want out of life and what you want to do for the rest of your life...