Fil-Ams, Medical School, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be sending my application in to UERMMC soon, as well. So, you suggest it would be better to send it to a relative in the PI and then have them hand deliver it to the school itself? What kind of cashiers check did you get? It says international money order...is that available at the bank? Also, who did you contact from the list of interviewers? Dr. Neda Reyes was a classmate and close friend of my dad's. Plus she's my doctor. haha. I'll contact her I guess. Hopefully we'll be classmates this coming year!

Kat...let me know when you turn yours in k? Can't wait to see you at school!!! yay! =)

i sent it to my sis cause i wanted her to ask the registrar some questions.

i got a cashier's check from my bank.

yeah my interviewer is also a family friend! so hopefully i'm in!

Members don't see this ad.

Any updates from anyone for the new year?

I'm looking at the different schools I've been interested in (UE, St Lukes, FEU)

FEU shows their foreign student donation fee at $6,000 USD. Looks like they lowered it. They still aren't listing an NMAT requirement either. Good news for anyone set on FEU.

Hi,

I'm considering applying to UERM.(one of the few philippine schools that OSAP recognizes) anyway, one of the requirements is a 10,000$ foreign fee. Is this a one-time fee? I also want to know how difficult it is to get into UERM as a foreign student? I obtained a 92 percentile on the NMAT, but my GPA is not so great :'(. What are my chances? Even if they might be low, I'll still apply. Hopefully, I'll get all my paperwork in by Jan 11, 08 :S

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm considering applying to UERM.(one of the few philippine schools that OSAP recognizes) anyway, one of the requirements is a 10,000$ foreign fee. Is this a one-time fee? I also want to know how difficult it is to get into UERM as a foreign student? I obtained a 92 percentile on the NMAT, but my GPA is not so great :'(. What are my chances? Even if they might be low, I'll still apply. Hopefully, I'll get all my paperwork in by Jan 11, 08 :S
The $10000 is a one-time fee. UERM is not that difficult in terms of admission. A 92 in NMAT is actually high for them as they only require a score of 55. You should have no difficulty getting accepted as long as you submit all the requirements.

Yup I just got my acceptance letter from UERM. Manila here I come!

When did you guys mail your application for UERM and when did u get a response? Just want to see how long of a wait I should be expecting. Thanks!

When did you guys mail your application for UERM and when did u get a response? Just want to see how long of a wait I should be expecting. Thanks!

i completed my application early dec last yr and got my acceptance mid dec as well.

Hey for all UERM applicants, the deadline has been extended to feb 15 2008

:)

Hey for all UERM applicants, the deadline has been extended to feb 15 2008

:)

Hey, rambo8614! How did you know this? I am still in the process of authenticating my documents, and the registrar informed me that they will take in my application by the end of January 2008. I'm just waiting on my mail from the Philippine embassy.... *sigh*

That's great, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, rambo8614! How did you know this? I am still in the process of authenticating my documents, and the registrar informed me that they will take in my application by the end of January 2008. I'm just waiting on my mail from the Philippine embassy.... *sigh*

That's great, though!

I emailed a lady at registrar that my papers won't be on time for the jan 11 deadline and that is when she informed me of the extension. Her name is Imelda Reyes

I emailed a lady at registrar that my papers won't be on time for the jan 11 deadline and that is when she informed me of the extension. Her name is Imelda Reyes

Right. Imelda Reyes is also the woman I emailed on January 2, 2008 at [email protected]. I told her the same thing, except she told me to turn in my application by the end of January. I guess she just wants it all in ASAP. Either way, mine will be in by next week.

Goodluck:luck:

My mom mentioned to me that the Philippines is not that strict with deadlines. Here in Canada, if you miss a deadline, YOU MISS A DEADLINE..lol. But I guess back home, there is no need to explain what "filipino-time" is.

Is anyone who's going to UERM this year staying at the Robinsdale hotel??? For those who aren't, where will you guys be living? I'm just trying to get my living situation finalized. I'm just curious how everyone else is going about it. Any info would totally help. Thanks!!! :luck:

i'll be living in gilmore heights. its a 1 bedroom condo unit. 10mins away from UERM. its in new manila.

i'll be living in gilmore heights. its a 1 bedroom condo unit. 10mins away from UERM. its in new manila.

Nice! By the way, what letter does your last name start with? Mine starts with a "B"...they have 2 sections, divided by last name. Hopefully we'll be "classmates"! hehe. =)

my lastname begins with the letter C. so maybe we will be classmates.

hello! i heard that UST Faculty of Medicine & Surgery already released the list of successful applicants for 1st yr SY 2008-09 (Class 2012).

congrats to future thomasian doctors/colleagues! :D

Someone had mentioned that their sister did their 4th year in either New York or Chicago. Is this part of UERM's program? How do you qualify to do some of your internship in the U.S.? Can anyone attending the medical school take part in this program during their 4th year? Just curious. If anyone has any info, please share. Thank you!

Maricar

Someone had mentioned that their sister did their 4th year in either New York or Chicago. Is this part of UERM's program? How do you qualify to do some of your internship in the U.S.? Can anyone attending the medical school take part in this program during their 4th year? Just curious. If anyone has any info, please share. Thank you!

Maricar
That's an option for US citizens to take most of their clerkship in a hospital in NY (St. John's Episcopal) and Chicago (Grant?). The only rotations you are absolutely required to do in the Philippines is Community Medicine (of course) and I think ENT/Ophthalmology. Just ask the administration for details.
The only drawback is the cost. You have to provide for your own board and lodging plus the extra fees you have to pay UERM to be given these privilege. It's expensive but it's still much cheaper than Fatima.

That's an option for US citizens to take most of their clerkship in a hospital in NY (St. John's Episcopal) and Chicago (Grant?). The only rotations you are absolutely required to do in the Philippines is Community Medicine (of course) and I think ENT/Ophthalmology. Just ask the administration for details.
The only drawback is the cost. You have to provide for your own board and lodging plus the extra fees you have to pay UERM to be given these privilege. It's expensive but it's still much cheaper than Fatima.

That's very helpful information. Thanks.

Thanks for that info! :luck:

hello guys, i'm new here. i just want to aske from anyone who has practical knowledge about this. i applied at UERM but i was informed that i did not make it to the first list of accepted applicants. they said that if im still interested, then i could wait for the second list. my question is do they actually come up with a second list? what are the chances that they will really do? please please do respond..and perhaps you could advice me on what to do next. thanks a lot guys...

please respond...anyone...

hello guys, i'm new here. i just want to aske from anyone who has practical knowledge about this. i applied at UERM but i was informed that i did not make it to the first list of accepted applicants. they said that if im still interested, then i could wait for the second list. my question is do they actually come up with a second list? what are the chances that they will really do? please please do respond..and perhaps you could advice me on what to do next. thanks a lot guys...

please respond...anyone...
In the past I've seen 3 or 4 list. Yes, many back out for various reasons as many Fil students apply to at least 3-4 schools. Just make sure there is no missing documents from your application and ffup with the administration.

hey guys!!!

i got into UERM too...do they really sort u by last name? funny hehehe...mine starts with C. so who among you are definitely going to UERM in June 2008?

hey guys!!!

i got into UERM too...do they really sort u by last name? funny hehehe...mine starts with C. so who among you are definitely going to UERM in June 2008?

hey! i know that i am definitely going to UERM in June '08, along with 4 other fil-ams that I know of (all of which I've met through SDN initially) plus you now. what's your name, btw? I'm Kat. All of the other Fil-Ams I know of have their last names in the beginning of the alphabet (incl. you) but me, and hopefully i am not the only fil-am in my section. Haha! If so, then it's cool, too. I'll manage :) Though I know we'll all be worked hard, and it'll be really challenging and stressful at times... I am looking forward to med school in the PI. Goodluck :luck::)

I will definitely be there for SY 2008-2009!!! I'm Maricar. My last name begins with a "B" and I am one of the 4 that Kat was talking about! haha. I'm so excited! I'll be heading out there 1st week of May. See you soon! =)

I will definitely be there for SY 2008-2009!!! I'm Maricar. My last name begins with a "B" and I am one of the 4 that Kat was talking about! haha. I'm so excited! I'll be heading out there 1st week of May. See you soon! =)

oh hey guys...

im still in a really really big dilemma...i prefer ateneo's med school to UERM, its gorgeousssssssss so is their hospital and its a good school considering that they just opened last year and i know that theyre gonna get better through the years andthey are affiliated with one of the best hospitals in the Philippines, with regards to UERM i know its established. theyve got quality education (no doubt about that) and alot of foreigners/fil-ams that way i wont feel left out coz i speak in english heheheh (my college experince was horrible) but their environment is not that conducive to learning...which personally wud affect my performance...i know myself hehhe...so im torn between these 2 med schools AND working in the states as a nurse, im graduating with a BS nursing degree next mnth...btw im not fil am...im a foreigner but i was born and raised in manila :p at this point u all can see that im still hella hella confuseeeeeeed!!! :(

oh hey guys...

im still in a really really big dilemma...i prefer ateneo's med school to UERM, its gorgeousssssssss so is their hospital and its a good school considering that they just opened last year and i know that theyre gonna get better through the years andthey are affiliated with one of the best hospitals in the Philippines, with regards to UERM i know its established. theyve got quality education (no doubt about that) and alot of foreigners/fil-ams that way i wont feel left out coz i speak in english heheheh (my college experince was horrible) but their environment is not that conducive to learning...which personally wud affect my performance...i know myself hehhe...so im torn between these 2 med schools AND working in the states as a nurse, im graduating with a BS nursing degree next mnth...btw im not fil am...im a foreigner but i was born and raised in manila :p at this point u all can see that im still hella hella confuseeeeeeed!!! :(
If you grew up in the Philippines, Ateneo might be a better fit for you. They have nice facilities and you will have a master's degree.

so between the med schools ive chosen Ateneo...its that or working as a nurse in the states :S damn!! i want both so bad ehhehe

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU DECIDE TO GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL, WHETHER IT IS IN THE PHILIPPINES, U.S., CARRIBEAN OR ELSEWHERE..................................:luck:

so between the med schools ive chosen Ateneo...its that or working as a nurse in the states :S damn!! i want both so bad ehhehe

I spoke with my uncle who has a really high position at MCU (Manila Central University) Medical School, and he said that Ateneo is a brand new school, so it's nice, but it's mainly geared toward training for local practice in the Philippines. So, if you intend to practice medicine in the PI, Ateneo would be the way to go. But, if you're planning on practicing here in the U.S., it might be better to go to one of the other more established med schools with affiliations in the U.S.. The decision is yours. Best of luck! :luck:

I spoke with my uncle who has a really high position at MCU (Manila Central University) Medical School, and he said that Ateneo is a brand new school, so it's nice, but it's mainly geared toward training for local practice in the Philippines. So, if you intend to practice medicine in the PI, Ateneo would be the way to go. But, if you're planning on practicing here in the U.S., it might be better to go to one of the other more established med schools with affiliations in the U.S.. The decision is yours. Best of luck! :luck:

yeah i know...it dsnt have affiliations in the US yet...shucks...when will u arrive in manila maricar? :)

yeah i know...it dsnt have affiliations in the US yet...shucks...when will u arrive in manila maricar? :)

I'm either leaving May 4 or May 11. haha. Not sure yet. How about you?

Hello! I will be a first year med student at UERMMMC. If you ever decide to go there, let me know!

:) Marijoy

Hello! I will be a first year med student at UERMMMC. If you ever decide to go there, let me know!

:) Marijoy

What letter does your last name begin with? We might be "batchmates" hehe. Mine starts with "B".

hi, my name is mic and i am in the same boat as many of you. i'm a fil-am and i am going to UERM this june for my first year. i stumbled across this forum today and i must say i am very relieved to see that there are a lot of people who are in the same situation. :D i heard that there is 30 plus students from the states who are going to be attending UERM this year. woohoo! represent!

ps: i'm going to be living in keystone. anyone else?

hi, my name is mic and i am in the same boat as many of you. i'm a fil-am and i am going to UERM this june for my first year. i stumbled across this forum today and i must say i am very relieved to see that there are a lot of people who are in the same situation. :D i heard that there is 30 plus students from the states who are going to be attending UERM this year. woohoo! represent!

ps: i'm going to be living in keystone. anyone else?

Oooo..Keystone is my first choice for where i want to live. Are you sharing a room or do you have your own room. I think I want to share either with my cousin or another friend of mind who'll also be attending UERM this year, just to keep my expenses down. When will you be in the PI? Where are you from in the states? 30 plus?! crazy!!! I am sooo excited! haha. Do you have myspace? haha. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just so excited! :luck:

Oooo..Keystone is my first choice for where i want to live. Are you sharing a room or do you have your own room. I think I want to share either with my cousin or another friend of mind who'll also be attending UERM this year, just to keep my expenses down. When will you be in the PI? Where are you from in the states? 30 plus?! crazy!!! I am sooo excited! haha. Do you have myspace? haha. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just so excited! :luck:

lol! that's okay. the feeling is starting to sink in that i'm leaving in less than 2 months. i have my own place at keystone this year. My flight for the PI is May 4th and i'm leaving from LAX. right now, i live near irvine down in orange county. i do have myspace. the url is www.myspace.com/mickeybear8 . when are you leaving for the PI? and do you also have a myspace page?

lol! that's okay. the feeling is starting to sink in that i'm leaving in less than 2 months. i have my own place at keystone this year. My flight for the PI is May 4th and i'm leaving from LAX. right now, i live near irvine down in orange county. i do have myspace. the url is www.myspace.com/mickeybear8 . when are you leaving for the PI? and do you also have a myspace page?

Cool! I was actually going to be leaving from LAX on May 4, but when I spoke to some friends who are also going to UERM this year, who I met on SDN by the way, they mentioned that they weren't leaving till 2nd week of May. So I pushed my departure date to May 12. I didnt want to be there too early cuz I might get bored and homesick if I'm not doing anything. Anyways, I tried to go to your myspace but it said it's invalid. Just search for me by email [email protected]. By the way, how much is the rent at keystone if you're by yourself? Did you already reserve your room? Do you know if there are any more left? I live in the San Fernando Valley by the way, so I know wehre Irvine is. My cousin went to UCI. What school did you go to?

Cool! I was actually going to be leaving from LAX on May 4, but when I spoke to some friends who are also going to UERM this year, who I met on SDN by the way, they mentioned that they weren't leaving till 2nd week of May. So I pushed my departure date to May 12. I didnt want to be there too early cuz I might get bored and homesick if I'm not doing anything. Anyways, I tried to go to your myspace but it said it's invalid. Just search for me by email [email protected]. By the way, how much is the rent at keystone if you're by yourself? Did you already reserve your room? Do you know if there are any more left? I live in the San Fernando Valley by the way, so I know wehre Irvine is. My cousin went to UCI. What school did you go to?

sorry about that, mcar9880. the url is www.myspace.com/mickeybear . yes, i already reserved a room at keystone. i have an uncle in the PI and he's really helped me out with that. i'm not quite sure if there are rooms still left. but you can e-mail Mr. Carolina there. i believe he's in charge of things there. his e-mail address is [email protected]. i went to UCI for my undergrad. :)

sorry about that, mcar9880. the url is www.myspace.com/mickeybear . yes, i already reserved a room at keystone. i have an uncle in the PI and he's really helped me out with that. i'm not quite sure if there are rooms still left. but you can e-mail Mr. Carolina there. i believe he's in charge of things there. his e-mail address is [email protected]. i went to UCI for my undergrad. :)

Hey guys! I'll be staying at Keystone as well
see u guys soon!!!:laugh:

Hey guys! Lets keep in touch! Here's my email address for now... I'm going to have to change it a lil later hehe... [email protected] If you guys have yahoo messenger, feel free to add me :D