Fil-Ams, Medical School, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! That is pricey! But that's awesome that they give that option. As for the pre-med courses, yes, I heard the same thing. I myself graduated in 2003 from UCSD with a major in Psychology. I took some pre-med coursework, but not all. I've been out of school for a while and I'm just worried that once in med school, I'll fall behind because I don't have a very solid background in the sciences. I'm going to have to work very, very hard. haha. But I'm pretty determined so hopefully i'll be ok. By the way, do you have myspace? lol. A few of us have been communicating on there as well. Anyways, good luck studying! =)

Maricar

Nice! I graduated from the University of Kansas with a major in clinical psyc . I'm sure you'll have NO problems at all! :) We can do it! hehehe

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have an idea of how the curriculum works for UERM? Is it all PBL or both PBL and traditional? And what is UERM's schedule like? and how does PBL work at UERM anyway? (like do they give students time to study...) I just kinda wanted to see what I'm getting into this year hehe...

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or add me to your Yahoo Messenger if you have one!

Hey guys! Lets keep in touch! Here's my email address for now... I'm going to have to change it a lil later hehe... [email protected] If you guys have yahoo messenger, feel free to add me :D

Hi Mariann582! It's nice to hear from you. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I do have yahoo messenger. It's cool that you're living in Keystone. When are you leaving for the PI? That'll be cool if we're neighbors. LOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I graduated from the University of Kansas with a major in clinical psyc . I'm sure you'll have NO problems at all! :) We can do it! hehehe

Yes we can!!! lol. I added you to my yahoo messenger. My email address is [email protected]. Hit me up whenever! Can't wait to meet you all! :luck:

hi! i'm an incoming med student at UERM.. are you guys enrolling at my school too?:) would be nice to get to know my future batchmates;)

Wow. So I guess there will be more Fil-Ams than I thought at UERM. Awesome! :) Do you all know where you are going to be living?

Wow most people are going to UERM. Anyone going to UST?? :D

Wow most people are going to UERM. Anyone going to UST?? :D

UERM is A LOT easier than the University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery...it figures that MORE FilAms would go there...:idea:

Hello! I am another Fil-Am (from Las Vegas) that got accepted into UERM. I have mixed emotions being excited/nervous for such a huge move to the Philippines. I can't wait to meet all of you in June :)

UERM is A LOT easier than the University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery...it figures that MORE FilAms would go there...:idea:
The other advantage for Fil-Ams is that they are allowed to do some of their clerkship in their affiliated hospitals in NY and Chicago. Easy is a relative term as you will fail anywhere if you don't study but I agree that UST is more difficult.

The other advantage for Fil-Ams is that they are allowed to do some of their clerkship in their affiliated hospitals in NY and Chicago. Easy is a relative term as you will fail anywhere if you don't study but I agree that UST is more difficult.

UST may be more difficult, true. However, I think that tantrum hit the spot here because the main factor that caused me to lean more towards UERM is the OPPORTUNITY it provides its FIL-AM STUDENTS for clerkship experience in the U.S. via a direct relationship with U.S. affiliated hospitals. And this was a particularly important factor for me (and possibly other Fil-Ams) because a U.S. letter of recommendation / U.S. clinical experience is preferable for obtaining residency in the U.S., which I would assume is the ultimate goal for Fil-Ams studying in the Philippines.

Med school is med school wherever you go, and tantrum's right when he said you will fail anywhere if you don't study, whether it is at UP, UST, UERM, or anywhere else, including a provincial medical school. In terms of school "difficulty," I don't think it matters much to the eyes of a U.S. admissions officer for residency because a foreign school is a foreign school. So basically, if you can do well in med school (UP, UST, UERM, a provincial med school, anywhere...) and you can prove yourself on the USMLE's through competitive scores and you have the U.S. clinical experience (ie. what UERM can offer), then, although not automatically guaranteed, at least you are that much more ahead of the game in obtaining a U.S. residency spot.

Every Fil-Am, or every person rather, has his or her own reasons for attending a particular medical school. For Fil-Ams, I think it's important to go for not only which school is the most prestigious/difficult, but which one you feel most comfortable with in terms of opportunities the school brings to your personal goals, financial/geographical reasons, etc. To each his or her own!

What matters in the end is that we get to where we want to be.... So goodluck, everyone!

Peace :luck: :rolleyes: :thumbup::D,
Kat

personally, i have mixed feelings about those going to UERM for the reason that they have more affiliations with american hospitals. for me, it's also a learning to know & see cases seen in our country (specifically infectious disease). you studied in this country, it wouldn't hurt to see 1st-hand cases/conditions that is commonly seen here & perhaps you will rarely see/encounter in other countries. spend your entire clerkship here. then fly to the US after graduation, spend your internship/externship (or whatever you call it) there. those letters of recommendations will really come to you, whether as a clerk or during observership/externship, & of course if you deserve them.

i know 5 colleagues (3 are from the upper batch, 2 are my batchmates) who are already matched to good hospitals in the US. they all got their letters of recommendation during observership.

just a story: 1 of them was surprised to learn during her externship that some american doctors had a hard time managing an infectious disease case, when in fact that disease is so common here, easily managable. she got the respect of 1 consultant that she was given the LOR (letter of recommendation) the ffing day. well, i don't know if she's exaggerating the details but that was her story.

anyways, as one of you mentioned, to each his or her own. :)

another thing though. i'm sorry guys for being off-topic but i don't know where else to put my announcement/ad..

anyways, i'm selling the book Technique of the Neurologic Examination 5th ed by William DeMyer for half its selling price (P700). it's slightly used (some highlights at the 1st half of Chapter 1 only). since i didn't pursue with my training in Neurology, i thought of selling it instead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...00-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

if anyone is interested, you may PM me. btw, i'm in the Manila area. thanks!

personally, i have mixed feelings about those going to UERM for the reason that they have more affiliations with american hospitals. for me, it's also a learning to know & see cases seen in our country (specifically infectious disease). you studied in this country, it wouldn't hurt to see 1st-hand cases/conditions that is commonly seen here & perhaps you will rarely see/encounter in other countries. spend your entire clerkship here. then fly to the US after graduation, spend your internship/externship (or whatever you call it) there. those letters of recommendations will really come to you, whether as a clerk or during observership/externship, & of course if you deserve them.

i know 5 colleagues (3 are from the upper batch, 2 are my batchmates) who are already matched to good hospitals in the US. they all got their letters of recommendation during observership.

just a story: 1 of them was surprised to learn during her externship that some american doctors had a hard time managing an infectious disease case, when in fact that disease is so common here, easily managable. she got the respect of 1 consultant that she was given the LOR (letter of recommendation) the ffing day. well, i don't know if she's exaggerating the details but that was her story.

another thing though. i'm sorry guys for being off-topic but i don't know where else to put my announcement/ad..

anyways, i'm selling the book Technique of the Neurologic Examination 5th ed by William DeMyer for half its selling price (P700). it's slightly used (some highlights at the 1st half of Chapter 1 only). since i didn't pursue with my training in Neurology, i thought of selling it instead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...00-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

As someone involved in residency training, I disagree with this one. Observership has lesser weight compared to clerkship at a US hospital although they may also count during the residency applications. Basically, the best entry point would be a good USMLE score followed by these LOR's.
UERM also begins early patient contact starting with their first years, so definitely you will see pathologies that you will not encounter in the US by your third year. Infectious disease is overrated in US hospitals as due to defensive medicine, they tend to culture everything (shotgun treatment).

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your feedback :) To each his/her own indeed! One question: What is observership?

As someone involved in residency training, I disagree with this one. Observership has lesser weight compared to clerkship at a US hospital although they may also count during the residency applications. Basically, the best entry point would be a good USMLE score followed by these LOR's.
UERM also begins early patient contact starting with their first years, so definitely you will see pathologies that you will not encounter in the US by your third year. Infectious disease is overrated in US hospitals as due to defensive medicine, they tend to culture everything (shotgun treatment).

Tantrum, I agree with you. For me personally, I will follow the advice of my physician mentors here in the U.S. as well as my pre-professional health advisors in college and definitely 1.) Try to score the highest I can on USMLE's and 2.) Get that U.S. letter of rec. before applying to residency and 3.) Get good grades in med school. This was the order that was repeatedly given me, and I see it is quite consistent with tantrum's advice.

I'm sure doing 4th year rotations in the Philippines (as bleudsky suggested) also has its perks, as well. That's cool! And I'm also quite sure that some have gotten U.S. residency without any U.S. clinical experience or a U.S. letter of rec. However, I'm not taking my chances with that route... but that's just me. To each his/her own, though! So, respect. IT'S ALL GOOD :)

Goodluck in your residency training, tantrum. Mind if I ask what residency field you're in? Thanks for all your posts/advice. Same to you, bleudsky.

Hi! I'm new here and I need some information. I graduated college back in the Philippines but I'm currently living in Florida and a permanent resident. I want to go to medical school in the Philippines and having a hard time with taking the NMATs I know they conduct NMAT in LA and chicago but the problem is I earned my degree over in the philippines, so I'll have to have it signed by our dean back in the phil?:( Also I want to know what schools to consider if I want to do my residency here in US? I was thinking of trying my luck with UST or UE. If I get an 80 on my NMAT and a GPA of 3.45 what are my chances in getting in to both schools?would you guys say I have a good chance? Or do I need a higher NMAT grade? Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks!:)

Hi! I'm new here and I need some information. I graduated college back in the Philippines but I'm currently living in Florida and a permanent resident. I want to go to medical school in the Philippines and having a hard time with taking the NMATs I know they conduct NMAT in LA and chicago but the problem is I earned my degree over in the philippines, so I'll have to have it signed by our dean back in the phil?:( Also I want to know what schools to consider if I want to do my residency here in US? I was thinking of trying my luck with UST or UE. If I get an 80 on my NMAT and a GPA of 3.45 what are my chances in getting in to both schools?would you guys say I have a good chance? Or do I need a higher NMAT grade? Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks!:)
I think you're ok as long as you score 65 in the NMAT for UST and 55 for UERM.

Is that a grade point average (GPA) of 3.45 on a 4.0 scale? Where 4.0 is the highest? OR is it on the scale of 1.0 being the highest and 5.0 indicating failure?

I ask because you mentioned that you received your Bachelor's degree in the Philippines.

thanks tantrum for the reply! I'm just so worried because I really want to get into either of the schools....

to ustanonymous yes, it is a grade point average of 3.45 on a scale of 4.0 as the highest. my college us the letter system (so our grades are A, A-, B+ etc. and 4.0 as the highest (used in computation for dean's list etc.). Hope to hear your thoughts about my predicament.

thanks tantrum for the reply! I'm just so worried because I really want to get into either of the schools....

to ustanonymous yes, it is a grade point average of 3.45 on a scale of 4.0 as the highest. my college us the letter system (so our grades are A, A-, B+ etc. and 4.0 as the highest (used in computation for dean's list etc.). Hope to hear your thoughts about my predicament.

What "predicament"? If applicants who reside in either the USA or Republic of the Philippines can take the NMAT and proceed to apply to Philippine Medical Schools, so should you. Just follow the instructions which are very basic. SO-get your paperwork in order, register to take the NMAT and apply.

Your stated academic record and an acceptable NMAT score should allow you to be admitted to a reputable Philippine medical school. Because your degree was earned at an institution in the RP, you should be able to AVOID paying the "foreign student fee" that USTFMS requires of those who earned their degrees abroad (~ 10,000 US$).

You might want to consider using an address in the RP for correspondence with medical schools of your choice (although DON'T mislead the schools as to your current status of being a permanent resident of the USA, if they ask...as providing erroneous information may be grounds for dismissal...)

Send me a personal message if you might want to buy an NMAT review book that can only be purchased in the RP.

What "predicament"? If applicants who reside in either the USA or Republic of the Philippines can take the NMAT and proceed to apply to Philippine Medical Schools, so should you. Just follow the instructions which are very basic. SO-get your paperwork in order, register to take the NMAT and apply.

Your stated academic record and an acceptable NMAT score should allow you to be admitted to a reputable Philippine medical school. Because your degree was earned at an institution in the RP, you should be able to AVOID paying the "foreign student fee" that USTFMS requires of those who earned their degrees abroad (~ 10,000 US$).

You might want to consider using an address in the RP for correspondence with medical schools of your choice (although DON'T mislead the schools as to your current status of being a permanent resident of the USA, if they ask...as providing erroneous information may be grounds for dismissal...)

Send me a personal message if you might want to buy an NMAT review book that can only be purchased in the RP.

I can understand that, but the problem is people taking their NMATs here in the US also earned their degree here, so dean signatures are signed here...I already took the NMATs last april in manila but I was wondering if I should take it again, to get into UST or UE, I got an 86...but its hard to travel back and forth that's my predicament and expensive I might add.

I can understand that, but the problem is people taking their NMATs here in the US also earned their degree here, so dean signatures are signed here...I already took the NMATs last april in manila but I was wondering if I should take it again, to get into UST or UE, I got an 86...but its hard to travel back and forth that's my predicament and expensive I might add.
86 is more than enough for most schools. There is lack of applicants nowadays. I'll advise go for UST, then for sure you are in at UERM. Your only problem is getting signatures of deans and if you have relatives in Phil., see if they can help you.

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions actually. i guess I'll start with the most basic for now.

I read in many Phil Med School that a Bachelors is required. Currently I'm a biomedical engineering student at Columbia and will be graduating as of 2009 this may. Is it possible for me to apply to Phil med school and be able to attend by June of 2009 or do I have to actually physically have the degree before I can apply which will mean that I will be waiting for one year?

What process should I take, currently I'm seeking and researching medical schools in the philippines. furthermore, I'm studying for NMATs as well.

I just finished the MCATs several months back and received a 35, which I'm very happy. Who do I contact for the NMAT and I believe is the testing place located at LA and Chicago?

Thanks guys!

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions actually. i guess I'll start with the most basic for now.

I read in many Phil Med School that a Bachelors is required. Currently I'm a biomedical engineering student at Columbia and will be graduating as of 2009 this may. Is it possible for me to apply to Phil med school and be able to attend by June of 2009 or do I have to actually physically have the degree before I can apply which will mean that I will be waiting for one year?

What process should I take, currently I'm seeking and researching medical schools in the philippines. furthermore, I'm studying for NMATs as well.

I just finished the MCATs several months back and received a 35, which I'm very happy. Who do I contact for the NMAT and I believe is the testing place located at LA and Chicago?

Thanks guys!
Many schools will accept you as long as you take your NMAT this year and submit the other requirements.
BTW, If you have a 35 in MCAT why are you still applying for med school in the Philippines?? A lot of American MD and DO schools will accept you.

A back up plan, just in case? It doesn't really hurt to have one. I'm an upcomming senior thats why, and I won't get my degree until I graduate in May and havign a degree is the major requirements. So as long as I take the NMAT which is this upcomming October, submit all applications and inform the school regarding my degree, I should have no problem?

Out of curiousity, knowing full well that there isn't a stable health insurance system in the Philippines, how are the foreign medical students protect themselves from that. Does the school offer health insurance or do we utilize our insurance that we have here? there is a lot factors that must eb considered regardign becomming a foreign med student, and I'm definitely looking into everything. Sorry if I'm asking to much questions and thanks for the response and feedback.

:D
A back up plan, just in case? It doesn't really hurt to have one. I'm an upcomming senior thats why, and I won't get my degree until I graduate in May and havign a degree is the major requirements. So as long as I take the NMAT which is this upcomming October, submit all applications and inform the school regarding my degree, I should have no problem?

Out of curiousity, knowing full well that there isn't a stable health insurance system in the Philippines, how are the foreign medical students protect themselves from that. Does the school offer health insurance or do we utilize our insurance that we have here? there is a lot factors that must eb considered regardign becomming a foreign med student, and I'm definitely looking into everything. Sorry if I'm asking to much questions and thanks for the response and feedback.

As a medical student, I have basic medical insurance in the form of the student health service. At the institution I go to many of the professors are affiliated with the student health service. I might add that MANY trained in the United States and practice not only at school but at St. Luke's, Medical City, Makati Med and a lot of other hospitals BOTH private and public. So, what I am saying is that the healthcare available to some med students is AT PAR or BETTER than what you get from a doctor stateside...:thumbup:

Also, regarding your MCAT of 35...uh...believe it or not there are 'foreign' medical students who choose to attend med school here (IN SPITE of the fact they are admitted or admissible to US med school...). At some of the RP med schools, the curriculum is just a strong as any school around. One MINOR advantage is that when you graduate from an RP school, you actually can graduate WITHOUT the DEBT you might accrue while studying at a US med school....NO BIGGIE BUT it matters to some...

Last edited:
this thread is awesome. can't believe I just read through the whole thing. I think it was time well spent.
I guess you could say that I'm in the same boat as you guys, just a year later, hehe. thinking of applying for the next school year, 2009, so i've been doing my research. and it's still in progress.. haha..

So, I wanna know how those guys that started this thread are doing? I'm sure you're all there now deep in schoolwork already. wondering if you could give us, hopefuls, an update. How the schools are? If I recall, most of you went to UERM. And I guess, general things, so we can get a feel of how it's like to go to school out there. Might see you there next year...

Went to UCSD for Biochem, wrong choice. Got a bad GPA out of it. hopefully I can make it up with the NMAT.
for those myspace users, u can contact me here. http://www.myspace.com/arkzangel76

Hey guys, would anyone know if there are any specific course requirements to get into UERM or UST medical programs?

Thanks guys!

I just graduated in May 2008 and I started medical school here in the Philppines June 2008. :) You won't have to wait for another year. It is necessary to talk to the admin people of the school that you plan to go to though. Personally, I kept in touch with the admissions people of UST and people at my undergraduate institution. For UST, I had to get some sort of proof that I have indeed graduated and fulfilled all my requirements to obtain a BS degree in so and so date at so and so institution. For the NMAT, contact Mr Godfrey Vergara. http://www.cem-inc.org.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=46

It seems that the NMAT will only be given in LA this year. It was given in both LA and Chicago last year (2007). Hope this helps! :)

It seems that the NMAT will only be given in LA this year. It was given in both LA and Chicago last year (2007). Hope this helps! :)

NMAT is scheduled for the 8th of Nov 2008, and it is only given in LA.
icon12.gif

Yo guys, great thread. I was just wondering if anyone has gone to or is familiar with any of the lesser known schools in Philippines that aren't affiliated with hospitals back in the US. Can anyone share insight as to what has to be done to possibly do some 4th year rotations in the US or even any programs in the US that would be open it? I'm currently a third year student at a school in one of the provinces here in the Philippines and there hasn't been anyone that's looked into making those kind of arrangements before at my school so I can't really ask anyone around here. Just kinda concerned cuz of the importance of a US LOR. In retrospect, I might have been better off 2 years ago going to a school like UERM or UST since those are pretty established places at getting people to the US and they have a good share of fellow Fil-Ams. I'm the only one at my school right now, and sometimes you miss talking to people from back home :laugh: Anyway, thanks if anyone responds, peace!

Is anyone also considering applying and possibly attending med school in the Philippines? I was wondering if there's certain required number of credits (or units) and if so, do I need to have the exact number of credits for every course (e.g. 15 units of Bio, 12 units of Social sci, etc). I know U.S.T. has this kind of requirement, which is quite problematic since I figured that I won't be able to apply in the spring just because i don't have enough credits in biology and the social sciences.

Last edited:
Is anyone also considering applying and possibly attending med school in the Philippines? I was wondering if there's certain required number of credits (or units) and if so, do I need to have the exact number of credits for every course (e.g. 15 units of Bio, 12 units of Social sci, etc). I know U.S.T. has this kind of requirement, which is quite problematic since I figured that I won't be able to apply in the spring just because i don't have enough credits in biology and the social sciences.
I tried emailing a med school in P.I. but didn't get a response (it's been five weeks now). I would assume that I lack some credits by the time I finish college, thus making me ineligible to even attend med school there.

I tried emailing a med school in P.I. but didn't get a response (it's been five weeks now). I would assume that I lack some credits by the time I finish college, thus making me ineligible to even attend med school there.

So,

I'm first year med at Cebu Doctors' University. I'm from Michigan (born & raised) my folks are from the Philippines. So- if you're not from here (PI) be prepared for culture shock!!!!

This ain't no 3 week or 1 month vacation-like experience if you were anything like me growin' up in the States and visiting family over summer break.

Living here and going to school here SO different compared to the States. I don't care if it's in Manila or in the boondocks of southern philippines.

As far as CREDITS go...yeeesh...not to worry...I have a classmate from Pittsburgh, PA who graduated with a degree in MUSIC..only 1 or 2 semesters of Biochem in her background. So, getting into a program shouldn't be too much of a problem if you show interest, dedication, professionalism, and have the cash to pay and live here for the next 5 years.
Yeah...I said 5 years...not too many Medical Students can get thru in 4 years. 1 screwed up semester puts you back a whole year!

I have a degree from Michigan State University- BSN...did I have "all" the credits...The schools I applied to considered me eligible. Then again...they take in to account many things I'm sure- I graduated from MSU back in 2000, and been working as a Critical Care Nurse for 8 years, 6 years as an independent Travel Nurse in all kinds of ICU's. I have 18 years of Military experience and leadership skills on active duty as an officer, tons of community service and volunteer work, blah-blah-blah...

Moral of the story- SELL YOUR SELF and make it known that you wanna get in.

As far as contacting schools---hehehehe.....They don't use e-mail here, hell they hardly answer the phones here, too! You should call directly to the college of medicine's secretary...get their name and the names of all the people they can refer you to and get their direct numbers.

It's a PAIN IN THE ASS trying to contact people around here. Unless, you have their cell number....then TEXT them...that's right TEXT...they won't answer their phone to take a call...WAY too expensive for them.

Hope this helps---get in touch with me at [email protected] or yahoo.com

I'm in the middle of studyin' for the 4 exams I have this week and then Finals in a few weeks...then...GOING HOME TO MICHIGAN!!!!!! hope there's still some salmon left in the rivers...grrrrr.....

Take the NMAT- it's only a formality anyway...scores don't really matter too much...try your best though...I know people with 40's and 50's on the darn thing and got in...Medical Schools are hurting for attendance...my class is only 62 people...before...150 to 250...No one wants to go into Medicine here...not as locals anyway...they don't make squat for money here...even surgeons..

Which brings me to a good point about medical insurance here or getting care just in case.

I can relate to your consern...I'm a 1st year Medical Student in Cebu...Born & raised in the States...Active guy...do alot of backpacking ("trekking" here), airsoft competitions...you get the idea.

Medical care is SO cheap. I have a friend who just went under a diagnostic and exploratory laparoscopy for suspected appendicitis. hmmm...150,000 PHP all in all...she had to put down 5000 PHP first...ok translated= $3000 for 5 days in the hospital with 5 different types of consultations, labs, stay, food, and stuff....NOT BAD at all...compared to...a chopped off finger in the states 1 day stay...$72,000....oh...by the way...here "Promissory" notes to the surgeon...usually turn in to "SORRY" notes...if you get my meaning. The care here in terms of Medicine is pretty good. Technology is dependent on the area you are in...the hospitals don't look fancy...but they can pretty much do what you need done if something happens.

hope this helps

As kardiomegaly said, people there responds only to personal appearance or texting (if you know someone in the admi with cell phone). What he said is true. Most schools there are hurting for applicants so they accept anybody with a Bachelors degree and NMAT. The only competitive ones are the govt schools and UST. If you have relatives in Phil., they might be able to help you.

FilAm from Michigan and new here. Planning med proper in UERM, UST, UP or DLS. Anyone know of FilAm contacts or groups in any of these schools? or is this forum it?

Also, does anyone know who administeres NMATs and where are they held in the US?

Update: ok, looks like CEM administers NMAT in the US. Spoke with Mr Vergara. Too bad NMAt is not held more often and in more cities. Also, $350 seems kinda steep. Whats the fee if taken in the Philippines?

Last edited:
So,

I'm first year med at Cebu Doctors' University. I'm from Michigan (born & raised) my folks are from the Philippines. So- if you're not from here (PI) be prepared for culture shock!!!!

This ain't no 3 week or 1 month vacation-like experience if you were anything like me growin' up in the States and visiting family over summer break.

Living here and going to school here SO different compared to the States. I don't care if it's in Manila or in the boondocks of southern philippines.

As far as CREDITS go...yeeesh...not to worry...I have a classmate from Pittsburgh, PA who graduated with a degree in MUSIC..only 1 or 2 semesters of Biochem in her background. So, getting into a program shouldn't be too much of a problem if you show interest, dedication, professionalism, and have the cash to pay and live here for the next 5 years.
Yeah...I said 5 years...not too many Medical Students can get thru in 4 years. 1 screwed up semester puts you back a whole year!

I have a degree from Michigan State University- BSN...did I have "all" the credits...The schools I applied to considered me eligible. Then again...they take in to account many things I'm sure- I graduated from MSU back in 2000, and been working as a Critical Care Nurse for 8 years, 6 years as an independent Travel Nurse in all kinds of ICU's. I have 18 years of Military experience and leadership skills on active duty as an officer, tons of community service and volunteer work, blah-blah-blah...

Moral of the story- SELL YOUR SELF and make it known that you wanna get in.

As far as contacting schools---hehehehe.....They don't use e-mail here, hell they hardly answer the phones here, too! You should call directly to the college of medicine's secretary...get their name and the names of all the people they can refer you to and get their direct numbers.

It's a PAIN IN THE ASS trying to contact people around here. Unless, you have their cell number....then TEXT them...that's right TEXT...they won't answer their phone to take a call...WAY too expensive for them.

Hope this helps---get in touch with me at [email protected] or yahoo.com

I'm in the middle of studyin' for the 4 exams I have this week and then Finals in a few weeks...then...GOING HOME TO MICHIGAN!!!!!! hope there's still some salmon left in the rivers...grrrrr.....

I'm a 2nd year at La Salle and I agree, you don't really have to worry about credits...I have some classmates who graduated with degrees in econ and sociology.

And kardiomegaly is right, living here is totally different from vacationing here.

Hello Crystal Ball,

I just finished first year at De La Salle University College of Medicine and it is quite not bad. You should not worry about obtaining research experience albeit it will help. From my experience, I just apply and got an interview with the Admissions Officer.

I attended med school with a BA in English with minimal science background. The workload is insane but you get use to it. Med school is med school, and it can be quite challenging. But in the end, I turned out alright. You have to really want it bad to do quite well.

One of my batchmates came to med school with a BA in history/political science major and he is one of the top kids in the my class. So it doesnt matter what major you're in. As long as you put a plethora of effort in your studies, you should be alright. Many of my classmates are in their late teens and early twenties. The school system here is just different.

As with Tagalog, dont worry too much about language barrier. English is one of dominant spoken language here. If you often hear your mom speak Tagalog to your titas and titos, I bet you pick up some words. Do your best speaking the language and if all else fails, just speak English. Just avoid speaking English in local places. In campus, it's fine. You'll learn it in no time. I can speak little Tagalog but I understand it more.

The professors here speak English so you should be fine if you have questions regarding the lessons.

I hope my thread helps. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.:)

hi!! JUST GOT A QUESTION!! this might sound stupid but.. does philippine med schools have specific requirements for their admission... i jut can't seem to find any specific requirements. all i get from their website are those required documents.

do they still need the same requirements as med schools here in the US does? like a year of physics, biology, chem and orgo?

hi!! JUST GOT A QUESTION!! this might sound stupid but.. does philippine med schools have specific requirements for their admission... i jut can't seem to find any specific requirements. all i get from their website are those required documents.

do they still need the same requirements as med schools here in the US does? like a year of physics, biology, chem and orgo?

It doesn't sound stupid, but it does sound lazy.

Make an effort and read the forum. It's disrespectful to ask the busy people here to answer questions when you haven't read the previous postings.

READ....and come back in two days if you still have questions. We'll help then.

Well for a simple answer, most schools don't require the same pre-reqs as U.S. . Basically just have a bachelor's in anything and it should suffice.
However there are some schools that require pre-reqs.

Best bet is to read past forums for the schools req's, and call the school what they need.

Last edited:
Hi there! Can I ask you a question? Your post got my interest since you are in contact with a lot of MDs that were IMGs. I have only seen 3 Filipino doctors here in the Olympia area (Washington State) and I am not sure whether they graduated from the PI or not. I am looking for people with this experience because I want to ask questions regarding my uncertainties. Currently, I am a US-Registered Nurse and I finished my undergrad studies here. However, my plan is really to become a doctor and I want to take it in the PI. I have not taken the MCAT here yet and my dad said to just go to school here but then I was thinking that it is too expensive. I've also read a post that during the 4th year rotation in the PI, they let you do a lot of things. Unlike here in the US for reason of higher lawsuit rates. I want to do more hands-on since this can build my confidence. Do you know what school in PI guarantees a residency position in the US? Give me some info, please.

Hello. What about if you are a US permanent resident and you are a Filipino citizen but you have taken your undergrad studies here in the US? Would they exclude you from the $10,000 fee? :) Hope so.

Hi heavensent,
Same here. I am currently a US-RN, working and at the same time finishing up my BS degree in Nursing at the University of Washington. I have 2 more quarters left. Have you finally chosen to get a Med degree in the Philippines? If so, what school did you go to? I am really interested in getting a Med degree in the PI because it is a lot cheaper than here in the US. I never tried applying to any schools here since I am still finishing my undergrad studies. I'm glad that I am finding people here that are on the same boat as me. Like you, I am also torn between wanting to go to a PI med school but at the same time wanting to stay here and be an excellent RN. What path did you take? :) Hoping to hear from you soon!

Hi there! Can I ask you a question? Your post got my interest since you are in contact with a lot of MDs that were IMGs. I have only seen 3 Filipino doctors here in the Olympia area (Washington State) and I am not sure whether they graduated from the PI or not. I am looking for people with this experience because I want to ask questions regarding my uncertainties. Currently, I am a US-Registered Nurse and I finished my undergrad studies here. However, my plan is really to become a doctor and I want to take it in the PI. I have not taken the MCAT here yet and my dad said to just go to school here but then I was thinking that it is too expensive. I've also read a post that during the 4th year rotation in the PI, they let you do a lot of things. Unlike here in the US for reason of higher lawsuit rates. I want to do more hands-on since this can build my confidence. Do you know what school in PI guarantees a residency position in the US? Give me some info, please.

I come from a very similar background. I was an ICU Nurse in Michigan for 9 years before I went to medical school here in the philippines. I'm ending my 3rd year at Cebu Doctors' University and by this March I'll be back home in Michigan starting my 4th year Internships. The reason I decided to go back home in my 4th year is simply cause I miss it. But, the advantages are as equally enormous as doing rotations in the PI..i.e. NETWORKING for residency! If you're a skilled Nurse and have enjoyed bedside procedures in the the ER, ICU, SICU, TICU then consider going back home to do your 4th yr. If you need more hands-on...still consider going back home so that you can ultimately get your network base for residency. That's the bottom-line. hope that helps

So, if you're a filippino citizen you won't need to pay the 10k foreigner fee. Consider going to school in Cebu...cheaper, cleaner, and no huge foreigner fee. I think I pay $500 a semester..so, about $4k for the 4yrs...tuition is about 65k peso a year at CDU on top of that...about $2300/sem

anyone can ask me questions about Americans going to school in the PI. I'm ending my 3rd year at Cebu Doctors' University and starting my 4th yr Internship at Henry Ford Hospital and William Beaumont Hospital back home in the Detroit area. I have 11 yrs ICU experience as an MSU BSN grad, combined 20 yrs US Army Combat Medic and Hospital Commanding Officer experience, and about 4yrs living in the Philippines experience...I'm more than happy to answer any of your questions or concerns. hit me up on FB as well [email protected]

Here at UST (and possibly other schools), Filipino citizens who graduated from a foreign college for undergrad still have to pay the fee. A few of my classmates here were born and raised in the PI, went to the US for undergrad, and still had to pay the foreign fee (10k USD). Not sure about naturalized citizens who did their undergrad here, but as far as I know they have to pay the fee also.