filipino med schools 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don't advocate medical missions. i believe for one to make an impact on a community, you help them "learn how to fish", not "give them fish". i assume you're not Filipino? you could join organizations who already have communities they work with (like Gawad Kalinga). i think building sustainable communities is the way to go, not medical missions. :)

I dunno about that.. the medical mission i went to. Even though my taglog was bad. Especially the surgical medical mission, i think it helps. I think every bit helps even if it's small. It might not be big..but at least your trying. But that's for me, since some of these cases i saw. If it wasn't for those mission, i'm not sure how they would have been helped because they couldn't afford it the real surgery or what not.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't advocate medical missions. i believe for one to make an impact on a community, you help them "learn how to fish", not "give them fish". i assume you're not Filipino? you could join organizations who already have communities they work with (like Gawad Kalinga). i think building sustainable communities is the way to go, not medical missions. :)

hi freyja! (i like the term "polibrities"! haha!) i've heard SLU is a good medical school. i think they do well with the boards too. just wondering, why wouldn't you be able to handle living in Manila? (pollution? crime rate?)

i understand your argument and i agree that medical missions do not solve the problem. But in the absence of any long term solution don't you think medical missions have a place? Gawad kalinga and other medical/relief organizations can only do so much. the medical mission approach while flawed does have its benefits and until the government can provide healthcare to the majority of the population (which reside outside of the urban areas and who are yet to benefit from the "growth" in our economy), medical missions will continue.

hi freyja! (i like the term "polibrities"! haha!) i've heard SLU is a good medical school. i think they do well with the boards too. just wondering, why wouldn't you be able to handle living in Manila? (pollution? crime rate?)

the philippines is the only country where actors rule and politicians entertain- hehehe (forgot the source)

agrees with kittycrinkles on her view regarding medical missions- its really reinforcing our culture of libre and hingi (later maiindulto na tayo) so much so that we cant sustain ourselves.

You might want to take note of this especially during your immersion in Batangas if I am not mistaken. You will be joining the college of nursing there. The curriculum is separate of course but I believe, upon what has been experienced by some of our professors before, you might have to consult the UP Nurses for programs that you will want to implement- theory is that the colleges are merging on a common ground regarding multidisciplinary approach. I was told that you will be overshadowed by what the community physician/ Municipal Health Officer will be doing- as far as experience is concerned, you will have little chance in creating and implementing health programs and plans for the community you will be handling. I can discuss more about this with the thread you made...

as for my advice to health, regarding keeping your enthusiasm for medicine and learning another language, (continue watching) tagalog flicks- especially Sharon Cuneta, Vilma Santos, Nora Aunor and Maricel Soriano films. You might get burned up if you will assist in medical missions. As for medicine, try visiting UP Manila and other hospitals here in the Philippines. Its always a nice inspiration to keep in mind what specialty you want to take up.

Members don't see this ad :)

the philippines is the only country where actors rule and politicians entertain- hehehe (forgot the source)

agrees with kittycrinkles on her view regarding medical missions- its really reinforcing our culture of libre and hingi (later maiindulto na tayo) so much so that we cant sustain ourselves.

You might want to take note of this especially during your immersion in Batangas if I am not mistaken. You will be joining the college of nursing there. The curriculum is separate of course but I believe, upon what has been experienced by some of our professors before, you might have to consult the UP Nurses for programs that you will want to implement- theory is that the colleges are merging on a common ground regarding multidisciplinary approach. I was told that you will be overshadowed by what the community physician/ Municipal Health Officer will be doing- as far as experience is concerned, you will have little chance in creating and implementing health programs and plans for the community you will be handling. I can discuss more about this with the thread you made...

as for my advice to health, regarding keeping your enthusiasm for medicine and learning another language, (continue watching) tagalog flicks- especially Sharon Cuneta, Vilma Santos, Nora Aunor and Maricel Soriano films. You might get burned up if you will assist in medical missions. As for medicine, try visiting UP Manila and other hospitals here in the Philippines. Its always a nice inspiration to keep in mind what specialty you want to take up.

I am also ambivalent about medical missions. I've done a lot when I was in med school and undergrad (and even after i got my license). If it is in an urban area or places with some medical practitioners, it is better to coordinate with local health officials or practitioners. It will mean a lot to the sustainability of the mission.
However if it is in really far flung areas where there's no nurse or doctor around, then it might be worthwhile. It is also worthwhile if it is a surgical mission (instead of medical) like operation smile (for cleft palate/lip) where the expense is really prohibitive for the poor. Even Gawad Kalinga has a healthcare arm (Gawad Kalusugan) so I think those programs are worthwhile.
The only medical mission I don't like are those being used by politicians for their candidacy. You are being used as a tool and it is corrupting everybody giving the wrong impression that politicians are the sole key for their healthcare.

yeah! after tomorrow's exam, i'm free for a summer break. then it's clerkship! then before i knew it, it's internship. i've got a feeling that this will be a ride... :laugh:

yep! totally agree with you..

masarap buhay internship.. :D

Thanks Kittycrinkles. You're right with your assumption that I won't be able to stand living in Manila because of the pollution. Plus I really love Baguio. Its cooler. Although I've heard that it has changed since I last visited.

What university are you attending, if I may ask?

He graduated from UP, left for the states, practiced medicine there, then went back to the philippines to run for office?
Does he have any relations with the showbiz Bautista's?

On another note, a filipino, who was educated in the US, that I was joking around with told me that he should just go back to the philippines, enter show business, then eventually run for office. I told him to go for it.:D

Thank you for your insights on how to stay in school (a group of friends helps), and medical missions (helpful but more like treating a symptom rather than the cause).

Could you please tell me was your Med1 OSCE in Filipino or English? :)

What about the Mano Po series, and Judy Ann Santos?

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with tantrum. missions that provide free surgery and other procedures like pap smears, etc are okay, because those people won't probably be able to EVER avail of those services due to lack of finances.

i've been on med missions before. and it only has strengthened my stand against it. people don't come to med missions because they need care. most of them go because they seek free medications and end up faking symptoms or playing up an URTI problem daw. tsk tsk. :(

i'm incoming clerk sa PGH. shucks excited nako! :laugh:

about Dr. Bautista, he graduated 1989, went to NY for residency then practiced in Oklahoma. he never availed of a green card during his 15 years stay.

here's a link to his blog and to the party's website for more of their views etc.
i don't think he's related to the celebrity. pero, he's good looking, diba... :love:

i'm incoming clerk sa PGH. shucks excited nako! :laugh:

about Dr. Bautista, he graduated 1989, went to NY for residency then practiced in Oklahoma. he never availed of a green card during his 15 years stay.

here's a link to his blog and to the party's website for more of their views etc.
i don't think he's related to the celebrity. pero, he's good looking, diba... :love:

Lucky you're almost done!:)

hahaha! I guess he can always get into show business first then try again later.:D

He graduated from UP, left for the states, practiced medicine there, then went back to the philippines to run for office?
Does he have any relations with the showbiz Bautista's?

On another note, a filipino, who was educated in the US, that I was joking around with told me that he should just go back to the philippines, enter show business, then eventually run for office. I told him to go for it.:D

He's from Bacolod and not related to anybody in showbiz. A few years ago when he started blogging in Oklahoma he wrote that he appeared in one movie as a child (young Jay Ilagan). So in a way he did some showbiz:laugh:

aww but he'd be so much better as senator. :D

it's time that the health sector gets even more representation. just look at how teeny the country's budget for health is! :(

surprise... surprise...

Now I wanna do the exact same thing except I didn't do any movies when I was kid, didn't matriculate from UP or practiced medicine somewhere in the States and have a filipino citizenship but that last part can be easily rectified. that's what dual citizenships are for.:laugh: :D

aww but he'd be so much better as senator. :D

it's time that the health sector gets even more representation. just look at how teeny the country's budget for health is! :(

but he needs to build his fan base for a sure seat in the senate. I'm really pushing this polibrities thing:laugh
but yes I agree the medical sector does need an advocate who will actually do something.

have you guys read this article by prof. randy david?

link

an excerpt:
For as long as politics in our country feeds on the deprivation of the poor, and for as long as the basic needs of our people are coursed through a feudal system of patronage run by politicians, we will continue to have voters in search of champions. In the Philippines, we pick them from the ranks of movie actors, TV celebrities, and athletes—a solid testimony to the power of television. In other countries, the poor turn to fundamentalist religious leaders.

But this will pass. Slowly, a growing number of our people are already freeing themselves from absolute poverty. These are mainly the families of our overseas Filipino workers. They are investing heavily in the further education of their children. With the improvement in their socio-economic situation, they learn to demand policies rather than material favors from their elected public officials. This shift is bound to affect their choices of leaders. We are already seeing this value shift in the loud critical voices that have greeted boxing idol Manny Pacquiao's recent announcement of his intention to seek public office.

i do hope so. magising na sana ang mga pinoy!

hmmm... i think this topic deserves a different thread? hehe

I must agree. I actually forgot that this thread was originally started for people seeking advice about med schools.:oops:

hehe! i think we better stick to the topic of this thread.

What about the Mano Po series, and Judy Ann Santos?

Mano Po 2 is good, the others not so good. No Judy Ann Santos flicks- it can make you stupid. Hehehehe

Ive been thinking, to justify not going to medical missions, why not do some social service work in the hospitals. Thats better than watching the flicks and you get to keep your interest in medicine and at the same time hone your Tagalog. You may work under hospital based researches (UP PGH especially the ones in coordination with the college of nursing and public health).

Kitty Crinkles- ano yung OR case mo dun sa picture mo? Before clerkship ba pinag aassist na kayo sa OR?

Kitty Crinkles- ano yung OR case mo dun sa picture mo? Before clerkship ba pinag aassist na kayo sa OR?

yes. pero it's in the major OR of OPD lang-- a herniorrhaphy. my blockmates were trigger-happy. :laugh:

yes. pero it's in the major OR of OPD lang-- a herniorrhaphy. my blockmates were trigger-happy. :laugh:

Sarap ng feeling no? Sa akin, ang in the moment feeling ko pag naaamoy ko na yung nasusunog na taba sa cautery, meron tumutunong na "No body knows when they might wake up- no body knows..." parang kulang na lang andun talaga yung cast ng Grey's Anatomy.

^ hehe! nami-miss ko tuloy ung surgery rotation ko (though it was my most stressful rotation).

naalala ko tuloy yung OR experience ko na may inamputate na diabetic foot (BKA). Nung makita na namin yung pagputol ng bone nag-ka craving yung iba sa amin na kumain ng bulalo. weird pero baka defense mecha na rin hehehe

naalala ko tuloy yung OR experience ko na may inamputate na diabetic foot (BKA). Nung makita na namin yung pagputol ng bone nag-ka craving yung iba sa amin na kumain ng bulalo. weird pero baka defense mecha na rin hehehe

hehe! almost same experience here but i didn't crave for bulalo after. the ortho surg gave me a piece of the metal they used for partial hip replacement.

i don't know why but mas enjoy ako mag-assist sa ortho surg kaysa sa gen surg..

hmm.. baka may calling ako.. :laugh:

do you guys think i made the right call? giving up on St.Luke's coz i have to spend my summer in class agen after graduating rather than relaxing long enough before med student life begins? :confused: I like UERMMC as well...and maybe it's a sign that i was meant to go to Ue, hehe :D

I liked UE a LOT. In fact, although i chose CIM, I am still NOT 100% convinced that it was a better choice than UE (although definitely cheaper). I wouldn't do St. Lukes because of the 5 year program. But UE... Wow, I hope you keep the board updated on how it goes. The school did leave an extremely positive impression on me.

i remember this one time where a consultant took out a huge lipoma (bigger than my palm AND fingers) from the left axillary area of a patient. when it was finally excised, my blockmate and i were thinking how the specimen would look as it sizzles in a frying pan.

gross and insensitive... pero diba, we get those thoughts sometimes? :laugh:

Hi :)! Thought I'd spread the word about the MIND convention (Movement of Idealistic and Nationalistic Doctors):

Dear Friends,

Warm greetings! We are inviting you to our Annual MIND Convention on May 26, 2007 from 1:00 pm - 5 pm.

Why You Should Attend Our MIND Convention:

1. Review of the August 2007 Philippine Medical Board Exam by Dr Enrico Banzuela (author of the acclaimed Philippine Medical Board Reviewer). If you want to increase your chances of passing, please attend.

2. Launching of Dr. Willie and Liza Ong’s Books.
a. Expanded Medicine Blue Book 2nd Edition
b. Cardiology Blue Book 4th Edition
c. Survival Guide for Doctors (and non-doctors too) – pending

3. Free signed book copy for the first 100 attendees only.
The rest of the attendees may avail of these books at 60% off the bookstore price (for 1 day only), through the support of the Co Tec Tai Medical Museum.

4. Lectures by Dr Willie T. Ong on “Planning Your Career”, “Secrets to Success”, and “Survival Guide for Doctors.” Ask all your questions and let’s see how we can help you.

5. A Brief Introduction of the Co Tec Tai Medical Museum’s Advocacy by the Museum’s Chairperson Julie Ong-Alonzo.

6. Free Merienda.

7. No registration fees. Attendance is free! Please text us one WEEK BEFORE to confirm your group’s attendance. Please text each of your names and indicate what institution you’re from. Text: 0915-742-3462

8. Text Now. There are LIMITED SEATS to accommodate the first 500 texters. Reserve a place for you. Text: 0915-742-3462

New and Bigger Venue:

4th Floor of Wellcome Plaza
(formerly Masagana CitiMall in Pasay City)
Taft Avenue corner Libertad Street, Pasay City
Mall is connected to MRT Libertad station (easiest route)
Parking is also available.

Convention costs are covered by my family and MIND supporters. God bless everyone and see you there!

Your friends,

Willie and Liza Ong
(Text: 0915-742-3462)
P.S. Please pass on to friends who might like to attend.

MIND May 26, 2007 Convention Invitation For Everyone:

What: Annual MIND Convention for 2007 (includes must-know lectures on “Passing the Medical Boards”, “Planning Your Career” and “Secrets to Success by Dr. Willie T. Ong, Dr. Enrico Banzuela and others.)

When: May 26, 2007, Saturday, 1 pm - 5 pm. Lecture starts 1:30 pm promptly.

How: If you or your friends would like to come, please text us your name and how many of your friends coming. Call early. Limited to first 500 texters only.

Where: 4th Floor of Wellcome Plaza
(formerly Masagana CitiMall in Pasay City)
Taft Avenue corner Libertad Street, Pasay City
Mall is connected to MRT Libertad station (easiest route)
Parking is also available.

Why Come: Free Lectures. Free Food. No registration fees. Convenient, air-conditioned venue.

Contact Numbers:
Dr Willie and Liza Ong (Cell: 0915-742-3462; Email at [email protected]) Telephone No. 831-5181 and Look for Helen or Nita
Fax: No. 831-1866

Willie and Liza Ong
au_revoir.gif

(Text: 0915-742-3462)
P.S. Please pass on to friends who might like to attend.

Dalawa yung sa akin- isang BKA d/t DM tapos isang peripheral artery disease; Aorto- femoral bypass graft followed with BKA (pero dahil malaki ang damage, ginawang AKA). Bibigyan ko ng konswelo yung doktor, TCVS sya- sya yung nag attempt na mag AKA pero ang daming mali- nalaglag nya yung gigli wire tapos kamuntik nya nang macontaminate po yung field.

Ano pre med mo at san ka kumuha ng premed?

that MIND convention looks really interesting. :)

and i wanna get expanded medicine blue book. question health3, would these be selling in major bookstores?

Kittykrinkles you're way ahead of me. I don't know :oops:

I had a question..

I'm an incoming freshman and I was wondering if they usually allow people to switch sections?

Thanks!

Hey Health, Whats Your Premed Course? Where Will You Be Taking Up Your Med Proper? (or Are You Already Taking It Up)

I had a question..

I'm an incoming freshman and I was wondering if they usually allow people to switch sections?

Thanks!

if you're referring to UST, the answer is no. the sectioning is based on your surname, alphabetically distributed to Sections A, B, C, and D.

each section has about 120 students and further subdivided into five to six subsections consisting of about twenty students (again alphabetically determined). you'll be working with your co-subsect members during your experiments and research works, that's why you need to be close to each other to have a good working relationship. eventually, they will be your chums.

so take a look at the list of those accepted UST applicants and you'll get a glimpse of your probable classmates and co-subsect members (or friends). :D

Dalawa yung sa akin- isang BKA d/t DM tapos isang peripheral artery disease; Aorto- femoral bypass graft followed with BKA (pero dahil malaki ang damage, ginawang AKA). Bibigyan ko ng konswelo yung doktor, TCVS sya- sya yung nag attempt na mag AKA pero ang daming mali- nalaglag nya yung gigli wire tapos kamuntik nya nang macontaminate po yung field.

Ano pre med mo at san ka kumuha ng premed?

nursing premed ko, last yr pa ako nag graduate sa aquinas university of legazpi (ung muntik nang matabunan ng mayon last december hehehe)

that MIND convention looks really interesting. :)

and i wanna get expanded medicine blue book.

i wanna attend that MIND convention too. since pwede ang board reviewees.

you can buy that expanded med blue book at national book store. but i'm not sure kung meron pa sa rob ngayon.

cardio blue book is also good.

the reason why i went to MaDocs for internship is that the contributors of the Med Blue Book are all active consultants at MaDocs. hehe! :) i learn straight from them, during their rounds.

the reason why i went to MaDocs for internship is that the contributors of the Med Blue Book are all active consultants at MaDocs. hehe! :) i learn straight from them, during their rounds.

my cousin will be having his post-grad internship at MaDocs this May! :luck:

advisable ba na umattend ng MIND convention ang non-board reviewees? hehe

I had a question..

Thanks!

As was noted before..u are grouped based on ur last name in UST. As an incoming 1st year u can't change it really. There is one way..that's called getting married...or i guess getting ur last name legally changed..assuming u don't want to do that.

If u become irregular, during your irregular years, u can choose which section u want to be in. You technically can't change your section, unless u become irregular.

Last year there was one person who was regular that changed section in year 2. But she's special her family owned like PAL. So unless u are the super rare person..the answer is no.

But u might be moved to another section if u happen to be in end of a section or beginning of a section. every year roughly they redo the amoung of people per section. Depending on how many irregulars there are...they will regroup the section up. i've heard of some year where the end of section a..became section b for example. Or begining of section c became section b...u get the idea i hope. If u don't get it....basically, they'll try to arrange the class again so there are even amount of students roughly in each section. But then again some years, it'll be roughly even so then u won't move..again it depends on how many people are in each class.

my cousin will be having his post-grad internship at MaDocs this May! :luck:

advisable ba na umattend ng MIND convention ang non-board reviewees? hehe

i see. well, good luck to him (or is it a her)? baka makilala ko pa sya since i'll still be here till next month.

i guess the convention is open to all, including students. :)

nursing premed ko, last yr pa ako nag graduate sa aquinas university of legazpi (ung muntik nang matabunan ng mayon last december hehehe)

Eh di sa legaspi ka pa manggagaling nyan? Kukuha ka ba ng Nursing Licensure ngayong June? If ever, nag/ magrereview ka ba? San kung sakali?

nag board exam na ako nung june 2k6 at nakapasa kaso sa kasamaang palad ay pinapa retake kami dis june 11... may libreng review kami jan sa ust next week.

about sa pagtatravel: sanayan lang naman yan :)

uy uy tapos na phys exam ko :) dami ko nakitang potential classmates hehehe