filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wendigo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there considering going to school in philippines or currently attended one??

I would like some info on med schools in philippines (in particular, of the two schools i'm considering - Fatima and UERMMC). My primary concern is with the reputation and quality of education offered by filipino schools.

any info would be appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i'm planning on starting med school at UERM this june... i can't quite comment on the quality of the education (yet!), but i have heard positive remarks. if you do plan on applying, it'd be wise to plan ahead... it could take some time obtaining applications as well as taking the NMAT.

I am also thinking aobut applying to medical school out there. the person I talk to in newYork favoring Fatima(might be shool representative). I do not know about the quality of school, however when I talk to several immigrant from there, they are indicating that Fatima is not a good school. I think the only way to find out is to visit school or possibly find a graduate. let me konw about your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi mas100,

Right now I'm leaning toward Fatima. I've heard a great deal of good things about this school. (However, my source can be unreliable as I know he's an agent for the school). Also, I know that they offer special program catered to foreign students who plan to return to their home countries upon graduation. (The tuition is slightly more expensive from what I gathered).

I also know that there are around 20 - 30 north american students at Fatima and around 300+ international students from east asian countries.

Another thing is... I was told that international students are required to take courses in Taglog (spelling?? the native language of philippines) at UERM. Learning a new language is something I would not consider at this moment. So that alone pretty much rules out any possibility of attending UERMMC :(

So, Fatima is my top choice...

Let me know what u think...

PS: btw, i'm gonna email a filipino doctor tonight.. I'm gonna ask what he thinks.. I'll tell you what he says after i get words from him..

dawanee:

thanks for the reply..

let me ask u something..
Are you required to take language courses at UERMMC???

Also, do you know what's the residency match rate/USMLE pass rate like for the two schools? i'm currently in the process of evaluating risks associated with going to school in philippines..

thanks

Comparing UERM or fatima, i would recommend you to go to UERM. UERM has a better reputation in the philippines. Other medical schools that i would recommend is UST, St luke's, FEU or MCU.

I have the website of some of the medical schools but i don't know if they will answer most of your questions.

UST: www.ust.edu.ph
St Luke's: www.stluke.com.ph
MCU: www.mcu.edu.ph

Hope that helps

Originally posted by interferon
Comparing UERM or fatima, i would recommend you to go to UERM. UERM has a better reputation in the philippines. Other medical schools that i would recommend is UST, St luke's, FEU or MCU.

Thanks for the info, interferon :D

appreciate it :laugh:

btw, any idea which schools on your list are approved by the state of california?? :D

i agree with interferon -- the top 3 for me are UST, UERM, and FEU. as for taking language courses... i really haven't heard of that before. for the most part, english is widely spoken -- it's almost like a second language. i hear the classes are taught in english and only every now and then may you hear tagalog. altogether, i wouldn't worry too much about not knowing the native language. having a background to it wouldn't hurt, but i don't believe it's anything to stress over. :)

Hi, I'm a 1st year med student here at UST. I'll just give you a brief rundown on all med schools here.

UP Diliman is the one with high regard. They accept at least 100 applicants a year. They boast doctors of great caliber. But I don't think they accept foreign applicants.

Some Mindanao school got to be the 1st place among all med schools with highest percentage in board passers (100%). One applied, one passed. :p

San Beda is the newest med school. I have a friend who told me they provide EVERYTHING from the next lecture to what you're supposed to read and some sample quizzes before the next exam. They spoon feed and claim they're PBL.

UERM is also of high regard... and was the best once. They're PBL and they teach by organ systems. You'll be taught basic cardio in the 1st year, advanced on the 2nd, and theoretical on the 3rd.Same goes for the other systems.

UST teaches PBL a different way, by MODULES. We really are not SPOON FED. This issue has caused some unrest both in the teaching and student bodies. Next year's curriculum changes all that. They call it PBL integrated. They infused a short course of lectures to fillin the gaps in learning. Sadly the curriculum is not retroactive which means, I will not be affected.

For FEU, I havent really heard anything good about it. Good luck if you enrol there.

Fatima, Sure. Lotsa UST doctors teach there.

There's another. St. Luke's. Lotsa UST doctors also teaches there.

Happy hunting. Hope you guys find the right school

I am a FilAm, I went to college in the US, had too much fun, then went to the Philippines for medical school. I went to FEU-NRMF and graduated from there recently.

Before you consider going to the Philippines, you must consider many factors. If you have been educated in the US, the testing in the Philippines is much different, not as analytical as here at home. This poses a challenge, as many of your classmates may be 3-4 years younger than you and able to memorize much easier than you.

You must also realize that there is a stigma attached to foreign medical graduates aka "IMG's". I feel that my medical education in the Philippines was great, and when I did some clinical rotations here in the US as a fourth year clerk, I found that my knowledge was up to par with the US students. It took time to gain confidence and realize this though.

Regarding the schools there. You must go to a school recognized by the WHO, otherwise you will not be able to practice here. UP, UST, FEU, UERM are the big four that have been certified the longest. De La Salle, St. Lukes, are also most likely certified and Fatima might be.

UP- the best medical school in the Philippines, but difficult to obtain admission unless you know someone there and have NMAT scores that are in the 99th percentile. Some of the students are arrogant and spoiled. But they produce great doctors and send 1/3 of their graduating class here to the US for residency.

UST- very good school, small class of Fil-Ams, ranging 5-15 per year. Known to spoon feed there students, meaning they tell you what to study, which is very helpful. Many come back to practice here in the US. Theoretically these students are very well prepared. 10,000 dollar donation fee

FEU- a very, very tough school. FilAms- 2-6 per year. They weed you out as you go along. 1st year starts at 400+ then graduate 150 of original batch. Does not spoon feed, meaning for every exam, they will tell you to read a chapter, and basically everything is fair game. If you graduate, you are very very prepared clinically and theoretically. Challenging school, requires a mature student that is well motivated. ( i think I was just lucky) In recent years, nearly all of the Fil-ams have obtained residency here in the US. 6, 000 dollar donation fee

UERM- good school, rumored to be in Financial difficulty in the past years. Problem based curriculum, which has it pros and cons. Students are good debators, theoretically pretty strong, and fair clinicians. FilAms- 6-10 maybe per year. Most come back and obtain residency here. donation fee is between 5-10,000 dollars

Fatima-Reputation is not very good. They have high passing rates for Philippine boards, but take it in February rather than September (when most graduates take it), which allows them to boast that they have the most top notchers. Many students go here when they fail out of the other schools in the Philippines. Have a large Fil-Am population and a large number of other International students because they are the only school that advertizes. They have a slow track, where you take longer to finish, but are supposedly taught better. They offer clinical rotations to 4th year students, but you must pay a lot. Don't know how may fil-ams pass their boards and come back, but I am sure some do. Donation is 5-10,000 dollars

St. Lukes- good school, requires 5 years. Nice hospital, not too many fil-ams here. not too sure about the amount of donation required.

Overall though, the quality of the edcuation in the Philippines is okay, you will get a good level of knowledge. But regardless of what school you go to, you must work hard. You will find that you will study harder and longer than you ever have before. (And you will realize that if you had done that in college you would be in medical school in the US instead.) All classes are taught in english, jokes are in Tagalog. It helps if you speak tagalog, so your classmates will feel more comfortable with you.

I had a great experience there, it was initially difficult, but loved it there. But use it as your last resort, most schools start with a large class, then weed out students as you go toward 4th year. So there is no guarantee you will finish, and also even if you finish, there is no guarantee you will obtain residency here.

Thats my two cents. Hope it helps

Thanks guys!

I didnt expect any lengthy reply.. They help answer a lot of my questions. appreciate all your help :D

Spartan Doc:

Do you mind giving me your email address? :) I would like to ask you some questions in private if you dont mind.. thanks in advance.

Wendigo,
I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I emailed you at the address you listed in this forum. Talk to you soon.

Spartan Doc:

I just sent you an email..

Again, thanks for your help :D

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you going to Medical school in the Philippines:

I would recommend that you buy your textbooks in the Philippines. Before my first year started, I went out and bought some US textbooks. They are much more expensive here and add lots of weight to your balikbayan box. Thanks to the lack of copyright laws in the Philippines, you can get all of the US books at a fraction of the price.

Make sure to buy the most current version of First Aid for the USMLE step 1 (that is the only one you should buy here) It recommends review books to use for each subject.

good luck to you that are choosing to go there. Be ready for a wild and memorable ride with an occasional flood.

Hi all! Glad to see that there are other people who are and will be applying to the Philippines for med school.

Entengkb here... from up North, eh! ... a FilCanadian who has recently gotten accepted to UERM and FEU-NRMF. Accepted FEU's offer and will be going back to Pinas in the next month or so to fix all the necessary papers, e.g. visa, medical health certificate, living accomodations, etc. Very excited to be starting meds.

SpartanDoc, any tips for surviving FEU meds the Fairview area and life in Pinas in general? Would appreciate your input.

Good luck to everybody applying to meds everywhere, and for those participating in the Match. ;)

Spartan Doc, when you mention the tuition for each school, do you mean it per semester, per year, or is it for throughout the length of the education?

Thanks

Also, what is NMAT, and where can I take it? And do the Filipino schools require interview?

Originally posted by prettymean
Also, what is NMAT, and where can I take it? And do the Filipino schools require interview?

Hi prettymean,

NMAT stands for National Medical Admission Test. It's required for application to almost all medical schools in philippines and is held twice each year. You can take it at one of the three sites - Los Angeles, New York, and Manila, Philippines.

Most filipino schools charge a one-time donation fee (in addition to the tuition), ranging from $6,000 to $15,000. and yes, most schools require interview.

hope this answers your questions :)

Well, this thread is just great, and I hope to see it grow. My take has always been that the Philippines was the most well-worn way of U.S. students before Caribbean schools became popular, so you are not alone, and that the route is an outstanding overall bargain.

Pretty Mean- I listed the approximate amounts of donation per school. That is a one time fee due your first year. Tuition per school will vary. I paid 1000 dollars per semester at FEU. But tuition has gone up every year, I am not too sure what the current rates are for each school.

To Entengkb- Good luck at FEU. It will be a very big challenge. You sure you want to go there? :) (run away as fast as you can.) Seriously though, FEU is a very tough school, but you will feel quite prepared when you are through.

Your first 3 years are theoretical, with exams every day of the week. These are called shifting exams and carry some weight toward your final grade. More importantly though, they force you to keep up with the material. You will also have 3 major exams throughout the semester. These make or break your grade.

The exams are not easy, especially if you were not educated in the Philippine system, lots of questions are nit picky and pointless and require memorization of unimportant concepts. Their intent is to teach you to try to know everything... which you will eventually realize is impossible. You will get used to it however, and in time learn the system and how they test.

That is FEU, and most medical education in the Philippines in a simplified nutshell. My advice is be ready to study hard, and take these exams seriously. Try to learn the material and understand it rather than just simply memorizing to pass your exams.

Fairview, is far from everything, so to have a social life requires lots of travel time. be ready to sit in traffic up to 2 hours some days to go to makati. Try to live close to the hospital to minimize travel time to school.

Life in the Philippines in general...? Life is actually really nice there. People respect doctors and medical students for the most part. Money goes a long way, and there is lot of fun to be found. Overall, I had a positive experience. Some negatives... traffic, the humidity in May, June, July and August (be ready to sweat), the weeding out of students at FEU, causes lots of stress and if you take it too seriously can quickly lead to despair. Just go with an open mind, a commitment to work hard, and a sense of adventure.

Hey spartan doc,

Are you from batch 2002 or 2003? I know some people from FEU batch 2002.

Interferon,
I am FEU batch of 2002. Who do you know there and where are you from?

Hey SpartanDoc! Thanks for your valuable and heads- up tips for FEU. Meds has been a lifelong dream and I plan to devote every ounce of my mind and energy to it. From what you've said, I feel that FEU really brought out the best in you and has prepared you for medical practice.

Just a couple of questions: Were you able to obtain clerkship in an ACGME- accredited US hospital in your 4th year(clerkship)? Do you know if it's possible to take the CSA, TOEFL and Step 2 in your 4th year, and then participate in the Match at the same time, or is that total suicide?

Once again, SpartanDoc, thanks for your invaluable tips. Good luck in the future. :clap:

entengkb

Just a couple of questions: Were you able to obtain clerkship in an ACGME- accredited US hospital in your 4th year(clerkship)? Do you know if it's possible to take the CSA, TOEFL and Step 2 in your 4th year, and then participate in the Match at the same time, or is that total suicide?

I did a clerkship in Internal medicine in New York for 1 month. Some of my classmates, or "batchmates" (what my friends in the Philippines would say) were able to rotate in the US for 2-4 months. We had to apply for these rotations on our own, there was no assistance from FEU, nor did they have any affiliations with programs in the USl.

It is possible to take your Step 2, CSA, and TOEFL in your 4th year, it would require a lot of sacrifices and dedication. It is very difficult to graduate in April then start residency in July of that same year. You would have to take your step 1 after 2nd year, your step 2 during third year, then CSA early in your 4th year. You would then interview in the middle of 4th year. TOEFL doesn't require too much preparation for those educated in the US or canada, so you can take that without studying.

It sounds possible, but the reality is that studying for your exams in the Philippines is different then studying for the USMLE. The material is the same, but the manner they ask questions is very different. Thus I don't think it is realistic to try that. I don't think I could have kept up with the schedule given above. But you are more than welcome to try, you might be able to do it.

What I did was this: I graduated in Aprill of 2002, took my TOEFL 1 month after grad, took my step 1, 3 months after grad, took step 2, 3 months after that and CSA 2 months after that. In between step 1 and step 2 I sent out my applications. And between CSA and Step 2 I interviewed. I just found out today that I matched. :) On thursday I will find out where.

The main drawback of this schedule is that I finished my step 2 in early december, late in the application process. this decreased the number of interviews that I was offered.

I hope all of this helps.

:clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS on the Match SpartanDoc!!! You must be ecstatic and proud of yourself!!! What you've achieved definitely deserves applause and praise!

Thanks again for all your tips. Right now, I'm feeling very relieved and thankful for your posts in this thread and forum... they have really helped a lot in lessening the questions and uncertainties that I've had for the last couple of months in going to the Philippines for meds.

:D

Good luck in RES!

entengkb

Hi, I was wondering if there are Taiwanese enrolled in the Filipino med schools.

Thanks

There was one Taiwanese medical student I knew of at FEU, but I think many more go to Fatima

Thanks Spartan Doc, can you also tell me more about NMAT? What types of questions are on it?

Thanks again!

Wow, thats a tough question, since I took the NMAT nearly 5 years ago.

But from what I remember, there is a Biology section, questions are simply recall type questions, not much analysis necessary. Questions are very different from the MCAT.

There is a section with psychology, and also one with picture type puzzles where you try to find which one is similar to the example. How this helps predict how well you will do in medical school is beyond me.

Also there is a section where they give you 5 sentences and you have to pick which one has the comma in the right place or has the period in the right place. Again, a very important skill in the medical world. :confused: :confused:

I think there is also a math section, but it wasnt too complex.

When you apply for the NMAT they will send you a book with some sample questions, this will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Good luck to all those in the match, I hope you all get your first choices

There is a great thread started by Dr. Cuts called "maximizing the match". It could prove to be a great game plan for those of you that want to come back to the US for residency.
I suggest you try to follow his advice. Good luck to you all.

if you really can, go with UP..and for your information, the medical school is not in Diliman..it's in UP Manila...take it from someone who grew up in the Philippines, :)

Fatima is not highly regarded in the Philippines..and a few years ago, it was included in a "public scandal" wherein the medical school was accused of providing "leakage" to its students that are taking the boards...just look at their passing rate! it's not a nationally prestigious school but it has a passing rate almost similar to the top med schools!

UST is pretty good too..although theoretical is really big there... their focus is more on theoretical than analytical...but reputation-wise, it's really good! :)

and yeah, be prepared to have classmates 3-4 years younger than you are..in the philippines, kids go to college at 16..then start med school at 20 (it's uncommon for pre-meds to take a year off ..about 98% of them enroll right after graduation)..some undergrad institutions there (like the college at UST) offer an accelerated 3 year pre-med curriculum to top students...so an 18 or 19 year old first year medical student is pretty common...

keep 'em coming if you have anymore..

this puts kind of a different spin on this thread, but... is there anyone out there who's reconsidering going to the philippines for medical school -- at least for now? i'm thinking about SARS... i don't think it's an all out oubreak/epidemic, but relatives living in the philippines have warned me about going, even kinda discouraging me from going right now. :confused: i was going to start med school in june and actually get there in may to settle in and stuff, but now... any thoughts? perhaps anyone in the phil. say this is all bull and to come on down? :)

According to the WHO (world health organization)as of April 9, 2003, SARS has not been documented to have hit the Philippines, so you don't have to worry about that just yet. (SARS has hit most of the countries surrounding the Philippines, so it is just a matter of time though).

But as a doctor, and especially as someone living in the Philippines, you will be exposed to all sorts of communicable diseases: Hepatitis A ( I got that in the Philippines), Hep B and C from accidental needle sticks, TB, colds, etc. Exposure is one of the risks you take by becoming a doctor and also a risk you take by just living in the Philippines. so if that stuff really concerns, you, then think twice about going to study there.

But chances are, as long as you keep yourself healthy and are careful, you should be fine. Just be aware of the possible symptoms, in case you are exposed. Good luck to you, enjoy your first year of medical school.

As of today, the SARS virus is not yet in the Philippines...The only risk that you've got to take is when travelling to Manila..some aircrafts might be infected with the virus..but if you're already in Manila per se, then don't think much about the SARS thing...but instead worry about typhoid fever (you get it from drinking contaminated/dirty water)...the numbers are usually rising this time of the year... :(

hey guys! i am ot in the medical field but i do know a lot about the philippines ...i'm one of what they call the "fil-ams" studied dentistry in the philippines and have a lot of medical doctor friends out there still....i do know that U.P and U.S.T. are two of the bests ..about fatima college...when i left the phils5 years ago,it wasn't really that great ...but maybe made it's way up as i left...when it comes to any other stuffs,transportation,transitional friends you might be needing,(just so you won"t get bored there and someone who can help you get around places while you know nothing about the country,i sure can hook you up with friends you can start with :) email me [email protected] if you need help

Phils med schools:

just a suggestion, UERM would be a better choice than Fatima. Check out ST. luke's, UST, FEU as well. they are good schools.

St. luke's is a new school but ive grad from there and its a good one. about calif recognition, im working on it right now. teachers are a combination of ust, uerm, up, feu grads. facility is great. check it out.

good luck!

waray:

St. Luke has a 5-years curriculum isn't it? (with one year
mandatory internship in Philippines)

>>about calif recognition, im working on it right now.

Any idea which filipino schools are recognized by the calif board?
I'm interested in doing residency in CA.

thank u all for responding to this thread.. :love:

Originally posted by NYGirl12
As of today, the SARS virus is not yet in the Philippines...

It is now :(

>this puts kind of a different spin on this thread, but... is there >anyone out there who's reconsidering going to the philippines >for medical school -- at least for now?

I wanna ask the same question too. Can anyone tell me how SARs affect your decision to study in the philippines? :eek:

Wendigo,
All schools that are WHO certified in the Phlippines (UP, FEU,UST, UE are for sure, I think St. Lukes, De La Salle and Fatima are also) are recognized by California.

In order to obtain residency in California, you must do your post graduate internship at the school you graduated from. St. Lukes is a 5 year curriculum, so you will satisfy this requirement if you attend that medical school.

California is extremely competetive for residency spots, even more so for foreign grads. If you have your heart set on it, then by all means go for it. But I suggest you also apply to alternate states just in case. You can always complete residency in one state then move to California to practice.

So have you decided which medical schools you are going to apply to?

Originally posted by Spartan Doc
So have you decided which medical schools you are going to apply to?

Yes! FEU, UERM, and possibily St. Luke!

I have made requests for application packets, but I have yet to receive one from any of the schools :(

Btw, I've heard a lot of awful things about Manila, and I know that St. Luke is located in Quezon city. I'm just wondering if things are any better outside of Manila? (in terms of traffic, living condition.. etc)

=========

Ok, I have a question.

How did you guys register for NMAT? I called the filippino embassy in NYC a little over two months ago. They told me that all I had to do was to send a check to this address they gave me, and a registration packet (along with the self-study booklet) would be mailed to me. Does that sound right? :p

I got kinda suspicious cuz the address belonged to an apartment (as far as I could tell). I thought that was kinda weird :cool:

thanks!

St. Lukes is located in Quezon City, but it is not really outside of metro manila. In fact, Quezon City is just as crowded, dirty and dnagerous as Manila itself.

The Philippines is a lot cleaner, healthier and safer outside of Manila. There is a medical school in Baguio called St. Louis University. They have some students from the US. But I don't know much else about the school.

Email me back with some of your contact information. I will forward to one of the FEU recruiters here in the US. She should be able to assist you in the entire process. From NMAT all the way to admission.

As far as your NMAT application, the process seems right. Hopefully the person you sent it to will process your application quickly. Best of luck to you.

ouch! seems like everyone's jumping on fatima. :confused:

i just recently graduated from there. it wasn't horrible by any means. the bad rep that some were talking about was waaaaay back in the early 90's! and it was proven to be just a rumor spread by another med school that didn't appreciate being ousted from the top 5. it seems that Fatima has been getting knocked because it accomplished this feat in a relatively short time. i guess some schools just can't let it go. :rolleyes: :laugh:

anyway, when i started, there were 40-50 fil-ams. :clap: and it was great because it helped when we were feeling homesick. and a lot of us didn't know how to speak the language very well, but that didn't matter because there were a lot of upper classmen who helped us out.

i don't think you'll ever find an administration that is more accomodating towards Taiwanese and Fil-Ams than Fatima. The administration really looked out for us and helped us with our travelling papers and whatnot. it made the transition a lot easier to handle.

As far as clerkships in the US goes...fatima is affiliated with some hospitals in New York and new jersey, so when i was 4th year i didn't have to look for hospitals on my own. I just applied to go to NY for 3 months of rotations in IM, FP and Surgery which looks great on my transcript. You can even apply to other hospitals like harvard and mount sinai's or even in california if you'd like and get a leave of absence to pursue the other rotations.

They've just recently built a medical building so it's got great facilities and air conditioned classrooms (thank God! PI humidity is unrelenting!). the curriculum is problem-based so that it is geared more towards the USMLE style of questioning.

but don't take my word for it. check it out for yourself. i just wanted to make sure that someone from fatima got a word in before we got another put down.

just remember that med school is whatever you make of it. if you plan ahead of time and stick to that plan then it should be smooth sailing. Also, when you do your rotations in the philippines, you're going to get a lot of hands-on experience unlike that in the states. so i would definitely do a lot of rotations there. you'll have a story to write home about everyday. :) lots of craziness.

good luck.

btw, was the guy you talked with jose ramos?

Originally posted by docsarabo
As far as clerkships in the US goes...fatima is affiliated with some hospitals in New York and new jersey, so when i was 4th year i didn't have to look for hospitals on my own. I just applied to go to NY for 3 months of rotations in IM, FP and Surgery which looks great on my transcript. You can even apply to other hospitals like harvard and mount sinai's or even in california if you'd like and get a leave of absence to pursue the other rotations.

They've just recently built a medical building so it's got great facilities and air conditioned classrooms (thank God! PI humidity is unrelenting!). the curriculum is problem-based so that it is geared more towards the USMLE style of questioning.

Thanks for posting.. finally someone from fatima! :D That sounds very encouraging! I'm aware of Fatima's affiliation with hospitals in the US. That's why fatima was one of the schools I initially considered.

That being said, could you tell me anything about Fatima's track records (USMLE pass rate, US residency match rate.. etc)? I sent them an email a while ago asking for stats, but they simply ignored my request. :(

Originally posted by docsarabo

btw, was the guy you talked with jose ramos?

Nope. I believe the person I spoke with was just a staff member of the embassy. That's what I found odd about the whole thing. I thought he was supposed to put me in touch with Mr. Jose Ramos??? Instead, he told me to send a check to this address that looked to me like it belonged to an apartment. I was just curious if thats the way you guys registered for NMAT? Oh well, I just wanna make sure it wasn't some scam run by the embassy employees (Kidding! :p)

Originally posted by Spartan Doc
Email me back with some of your contact information. I will forward to one of the FEU recruiters here in the US. She should be able to assist you in the entire process. From NMAT all the way to admission.

thanks for the help, Spartan Doc :love:

I'll send you an email later tonight..

btw, Have you heard of this school called "Cebu Doctors' College" in southern philippines? I was told that it was supposed to be one of the top five in the philippines. (Yet no one seems to mention it. I wonder why?.. ) just curious..

could you tell me anything about Fatima's track records (USMLE pass rate, US residency match rate.. etc)? I sent them an email a while ago asking for stats, but they simply ignored my request.

hmmm...i don't really know...sorry...but if anything, the people i know who graduated are either in the process of taking the MLEs or have already gotten residencies. and some have even decided to take some time off and chill for awhile in the bahamas....i'm jealous. :p there's so much drama in our lives that sometimes things get pushed back for whatever reason.

i can tell you this though. schools in the philippines use the same books they use over here. the current curriculum is now problem-based and geared towards the USMLE so you're in luck. i think the national boards are also changing their format to USMLE style questions too. also, you're going to get a lot of hands on experience.

and if you do decide to go to fatima, you'll have the opportunity to do a 3 month rotation in new york or new jersey. pretty much guaranteed.

I was just curious if thats the way you guys registered for NMAT?

ummm....i think it was a residencial address. but i can't remember. i think i called the embassy and got a telephone number to call and that person sent me the package. I went all the way to LA to take the test at the Philippine embassy. but i could give you Mr Ramos' number in new york and you could give him a call if you'd like. he's the guy who helped me out when i was applying to fatima.

i'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you out. :)

hi wendigo! well...let me see....my sisters studied in baguio city the univerisity is called "saint louis university" they do have a nice medical program there my bestfriend just graduated and 2 of my sisters graduated tehre too...california recognizes nursing im not sure about the medical ...i'm pretty sure it is...you might wanna call them to comfirm...as far as the weather goes,i loved it there....less traffic,cooler whether..it's called the summer capital in the philippines....my dad picked baguio city cuz he was scared about how are we gonna deal with the hot whether in any other places after coming from ohio and virginia....it's such a nice place...check it out ...might save you from those annoying traffic in manila :)
jen

phil school:

stlukes is a bit expensive compared to others, uerm tuition isnt so bad. facilities wise, stlukes is good..teaching is much same as teachers are from various schools. its 5 yrs there as it includes internship which is in st lukes med cntr, compared to other schools that are 4 yrs but doesnt include internship, so has to look for hosp where to go for internship. dont mistake it for clerkship as all hosp has it, also called junior internship. there is a 7 yr straight medicine with no premed, which is in UP med if ur interested.

i myself has a personal interest in calif res, thats y i'm asking st.lukes to apply for that recognition. done wt mle n csa to go. i dont know the list of phil school recognzed in calif, but i know uerm is recognized. u may ask that list from pat park, foreign school liason in med boards of ca, her email: [email protected].

about SARS:

well, its not in the phils per se but in airports and airplanes where people mixes , u never know who carries it, or in closed air in planes. there's no real danger in the country. got a friend from cali who just went there few days ago. if possible, when u go to manila, fly direct.

plan it, cos there are entrance exams. class start by june.

good luck.

Cebu Doctors is a great medical school also. They usually rank really high on the Philippine board rate passing. But I do not know how many of their graduates go on to practice internationally.

As far entrance exams. I know that FEU does not have any other exam requirements other than the NMAT. I believe that UST, UE, UP, Fatima do not either.

As far as SARS:
There have been 3 documented cases of SARS in the Philippines. While there is certainly a chance of being exposed while on the airplane ride there. The chances of being exposed to SARS as a 1st or 2nd year medical student is very low. You spend most of your time in the classroom. Those most susceptible to SARS are those in direct contact with SARS patients, namely hospital workers. So for those thinking twice about attending medical school there because of the SARS pandemic, keep this in mind.