filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i knew NO tagalog when i went there in 97. i attended st luke's. learn it asap. if not, you will constantly be missing out on conversation (non-medical stuff mostly) and your friends will be tired of repeating and translating. i learned during my 3rd year. but i would suggest you learn ASAP if you wanna live there for any extended period of time. any specific questions? any other filipino med grads? please email me

[email protected]

i am currently in d.c. and reviewing for step 1. i wish i had the time to read this LONG thread. hope i can help answer any questions about the philippines

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, its great to finally see some new people on the thread, I find that very encouraging.

I could understand a little Tagalog before I went. And learned from the immersion of just being there. By the end I was able to communicate with my patients in Tagalog, but still was unwilling to speak to my friends in Tagalog. The laughter, plus the speed at which I was forced to think (very slowly) was pretty frustrating. Try to take an intro to Tagalog class if they offer one in your area. It may help a little bit.

If you are Americanized, but have an open mind and are patient. You will be fine. Go there realistic, the Philippines is hot, dirty, and has corruption, in short, it is a third world country. Go there with this expectation... you cannot change the Philippines, you can only change your attitude toward accepting it. I quickly grew to love it there.

Far EastGrapplr2- good luck on your Step 1, do lots and lots of questions. And apply to residency programs as early as you can.

Spartan,

Where you in the Philippines when the Erap was there? How is the politcal situation now? Do you think Gloria Macapagal was a good president? From the outside perspective, she seems really greart and seems to have turned the joke of a presidency of Erap into something more substantial and worldly. However, I am an outsider and don't see what happens in the Philippines, only watch the news and philippinenews.com.

By the way, do you think the Philippines will get any better? I remember w/President Ramos, the economy increased alot in 1997 until it crashed with Erap. What's your opinion and concerns about about the kidnappings that can occur.

wyldstyle
fil am med students in the states

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the Philippines while Erap was there, and saw him overthrown...

While I think Gloria is an exceptional person, with many qualities that a President should have, I don't think she was a very good President at all. She was unable to build enough support to accomplish over half of what she had promised. The corruption that exists in the House and Senate and the economic downturn in the Philippine economy would have made it nearly impossible for any President to succeed. But she must still be measured for her accomplishments during the period of her administration.

I don't see the Philippines getting any better any time soon. Currently, Noli De Castro, a former host of a Philippine new show is the leading candidate to become President of the country. He has little political experience, and is further proof that the elections in the Philippines are still popularity contests.

There is a growing disparity between the rich and the poor in the Philippines. And sadly it is already quite wide. While the Philippine can boast literacy rates above 90%, the majority still remains uneducated and poor and can be easily manipulated and bribed for votes.

The kidnappings that occur usually target the affluent, especially those that are Chinese, Taiwanese, American. They are meant to intimidate foreigners and to embarass the leadership of the Philippines in hopes of gaining an independent Muslim state in Mindanao. The relationships between Muslims and Catholics are very strained in the Philippines, and it is mostly due to the extremists activities to draw attention to their cause.

anyone here seriously thinking of the Philippines for their MD???...SHOW YOURSELF! (please)

Spartan, you should create a website aiding future applicants from the U.S. in finding a filipino medical school. :)

Wyldestyle,
While I do enjoy helping others. Residency training is already killing me enough as it is. :) Creating a website requires a time commitment that I do not have right now. But if there are any people out there that are really good at that stuff, I would definitely be interested in helping out a little.

How is everything going for you? What year are you in?

As for all the other Pinoys out there, natural born, or those born away from the Philippines. Stay strong and proud. Good luck.

http://www.pinoyimg.com

this site was created by some guys from UERM a few years back i believe. not sure how active the site is though. if you guys would like, i could try and put together a directory of filipino med grads. school attended. year graduated. current status. contact info etc. i have friends from st lukes, ust, and ue that are all in programs now.

what do you think?

[email protected]

Thats cool, I would think the list would be helpful. Go for it.

I go to Pinoy IMG a lot also, and found it useful when I was applying for residency. But people don't respond as fast and you don't have as many people responding as you do here. But I recommend that site to.

As far as Stephen Ewen being HTML savvy, cool, perhaps when I have more time we can collaborate, as far as being WYSIWYG savvy, I don't even know what this means.

take care all

I don't like Fatima. This school really kicks up turd. If I had to do it all over again, I definitely would not have chosen Fatima. St. Luke's would definitely have been a better fit, at least for me. But I'll try not to be so biased. Here are my two cents worth:

Pros: relatively cheap compared to other schools, excellent Philipino board preparation classes, new medical building, fairly respectable faculty, large number of fil-ams and foreigners. Listed in WHO and that ECFMG list. Strong academic scholarship program for the truly gifted and highly motivated.

Cons: an inefficient, indifferent administration. No effective student-teacher-administration feedback. This school is effectively run by decree. Turmoil in the administration since the patron, Dr. Santos, has passed away. Teaching is not geared for the USMLE. located on the outskirts of Metro Manila with HEAVY traffic. Majority of students are of questionable ability. Hospital wards are pathetic learning experiences because the patients are few. All the classes are arbitrarily run. Exams are frequently not tied to lecture materials or textbook facts. Teachers are frequently very late to classes and a lot don't seem to care about teaching.

A lot of the cons are applicable to many schools in the philippines, and not just fatima.

With regards to the scandal, i'd like to throw in my opinion. According to my teachers (so do take this with a shake of salt), the "Incident" occured in 1991 when the top twenty testtakers in the philippine national medical board exam hailed from Fatima. This was unprecedented. No school had ever dominated the national rankings that much. Naturally, the established medical schools cried, "FOUL", and started this controversy that got onto the front page of all the newspapers. At one point, the fatima students in question agreed to sit for the exam again to try to prove that they had not cheated (ie brought notes into class or communicated incognito with each other). This was also unprecedented to require students to retake the boards. Nonetheless, the scores on the second sitting was congruent to the first, in order from number one to number twenty. So what gives?

Allegedly, the board exam in 1991 turned out to be a direct carbon copy, word for word, of the exam in 1985. The Department of Health had apparently been too lazy to re-write the exam. If there should have been a villain, it should have been the pencilpushing medico-bureaucrats. At the time, the DOH released all the exams after each year, just like the NBME used to. However, since the incident, the prior exam questions have not been released anymore.

All the medical schools in Manila had access to the old exams prior to 1991. Whether or not their students studied the old exams is another thing. At Fatima, the teachers made a point of hammering the old sample questions into the students. Memorizing several thousand multiple choice questions from a decade's worth of board exams is not a light undertaking. Believe me, all those questions start merging into each other after the first few hundred items. The top twenty students on the boards also happened to be the top twenty students in the school by rank. So I believe it was because that they worked really hard to achieve the score that they did.

Now, the issue of whether studying old exams in order to succeed in medical boards is truly an effective way producing competency in future medical doctors is moot. Even US students study old exam questions for the USMLE. The board scores are the primary determinant in what residency programs you can get into.

The reason why the other schools were so annoyed was that the ranking of schools was based on the number of topnotchers that the school had. So for 1991, Fatima was the number one medical school in all of the Philippines. The establishment was not pleased. Since then, the formula for the ranking of schools has been changed so that it is the average of the students' board exams that counts. Now, UP Diliman and UST need not ever worry again about their rankings cuz all their crappy students who fail out of their classes transfer to Fatima and thus boost their average.

That's what I hate most out of all the criticism laid on Fatima: that students who failed from other schools, that students who couldn't handle the other schools, they all transferred to Fatima, the crappy school for all underachieving medical students. Fatima used to be the only school that accepted transfer students. UP and UST wouldn't accept a transfer even if he was to be a future Nobel prizewinner. The other schools were so draconian in the way they treat their students who were having a hard time. If you fail, you're out. there is no reprieve. American medical schools would never do that; rather, they would provide one-on-one tutoring and mentoring to make sure that you get over whatever difficulties you were having. What's amazing about Fatima is that they take these so-called failing students and put them through all the way so that they pass the board exams and finish their medical education. It's not easy to take a so-called failure and turn him/her into a success. But that's just my opinion and I'm a liberal Republican.

ok, sorry for the long message.

Hello all,

Nice to know that there are Fatima graduates in this forum. Hi to all fatima alumni and current and future students. Well, I will just post my experience as a medical student in the philippines and then write about the pro's and con's of Fatima.

I first heard about philippine medical schools when I was working in NYC by a filipino friend of mine. I was attracted because of how affordable it was to go to med school there. Anyway, after a long time procastinating about the whole idea, I finally decided to go. I contacted the philippine embassy and they referred me to a guy named Mr. Ramos. I called him up from work one day and he invited me to meet him in the city. When I met up with him, He told me about the different schools but highly recommended Fatima. He gave me some literature to read and I decided I would go to Fatima. I needed to take the NMAT (philippines MCAT) and Mr. Ramos scheduled me and within a week I took the exam and I was off to the philippines. The NMAT is basically an IQ test with math and science sections. I studied like the night before and ended up getting an average score. Fatima doesnt care about your NMAT score as long as you have taken it for administrative purposes. I was told that I needed to pay an out of state fee which was $8000 but I was able to reduce it to $5000.

So anyway, I quit my job in NYC and prepared to fly to the philippines. I departed JFK thinking OH MY GOD I AM REALLY GOING! and landed 24 hours later at Aquino international airport in manila. When I got out of the airport there was a fatima car waiting for me to bring me to my dorm. It was hot. I was pretty shocked of what I saw. I had never been to a 3rd world country before. Once I arrived at my dorm the drivers helped me with my bags and after a day or so I was pretty much settled. School started 2 weeks later. My first day in class was very weird. I was the only white guy and all my classmates were looking at me and wondering what on earth was I doing there. A few weeks later I met some other students from the states and that made things a little easier for me. I was pretty hardcore about my studies because I didnt want to waste my time and money so I studied alot. There was alot to read and memorize and since my classmates were a few years younger than me I had to work harder to do above average. I actually was able to remain in the top 10% of my class all through out med school. I made alot of friends, local and foriegn.

Medical school is tough anywhere. But there are certain things that you need to do if you want to survive in the philippines. First, you need to make friends. This is very important especailly during exam time. My friends helped me alot in terms of things that will be tested, notes and past exam. Second, need to live in a quite place thats close to the school. I lived walking distance away from the school in a very quite building. Rent is very cheap in the philippines I would even suggest buying a place for 4 years and then selling it when you are ready to leave. Third, You need to learn your way around. Learn to speak a little tagalog just to be able to get around. I found that filipinos like you much more if you are able to speak in there own language. Although, almost everyone speaks english. Plus it helps you in school also. Fourth, keeps your nose clean and away from too much attention from students and teachers. Sometimes, being to overt can get you in alot of trouble in the philippines. Basically, stay out of troublre. Fifth, My focus at Fatima was more on the USMLE and getting back here for residency. I didn't worry too much about grades just made sure I was passing all my classes and at the same time reading the MLE review books. I still ended up doing pretty well.

Now Fatima:

Pro's:

Fatima has improved a thousand times from the time I enrolled. They have a brand new 11 story modern building with nice big airconditioned classrooms. The admin has improved alot. The teaching is not so bad. Especially with clinicals. I learned most of my clinicals in the philippines because of the excellent exposure to all sorts of disease. OB GYne is excellent in Fabiela. Its hardcore with 24 hours plus of standing and delivering. I would highly recommend it. I can deliver a baby and do and episiotomy and repair with my eyes closed. I can probably do a CS now too cause I have seen about 12 cases in the OR with one first assist. Surgery is great there too as well as well medicine. If you decided to go to the philippines just remember that you are on your own all the way. No one there will help you study for the USMLE, No one cares about it unless they are planning on coming here to practice. There is clerkship here available. Costs $5000.

Con's:

No USMLE reviews, you are basically on your own. The red tape beaurocracy can drive you nuts at times. You have no privacy in terms of your grades. Everyone knows one anothers grades. Locals can sometimes get over competitive with the foriegners. Alot of favoritism going around. Too much talk and gossip. Too many delays. But I guess this is everywhere in the philippines. Away from family and freinds for long periods of time.

I would definately recommend Fatima above all other schools just because the school and students are more used to foriegners now. THere are more accomodations for foriegners at Fatima than other schools. THe students tend to be more friendlier. I have heard horror stories from foriegners attending UST about how nasty the students are to them. UST students are rich and spoiled and they tend to gang up on the foriegners. Alot of foriegners transferred from UST and other schools to Fatima.

Hope this helps others contemplating on goiing so far for med school.

Good Luck

PS Anyone here who went to Fatima can PM me and I would love to get in touch with you again. Who knows we might know each other.

Sup people! i'm a junior intern from feu currently in my internal medicine rotation. i just want to give a few words about a few medical scholls in the philippines.

1. FEU-NRMF- i don't think i have anything more to add, doc spartan has pretty much said it all. If you are emotionally, mentally, and physically prepared, choose FEU. not all medical schools in the philippines will give younthe chance to do NASTY procedures. Feu grads have a reputation of being SKILL centerded. this may be due to the fact that we have alot of roations outside our own medical center. so if you want to be able to intubate patients, do lumbar punctures, insert 1000 iv lines, etc. before graduation, go feu.

2.UERM- if you seriously want to become a neurologist or a neurosurgeon, i suggest you choose UE. the are known for their rigid NEUROSCIENCE training.

3. UP-PGH- if you could get in, there should be no more questions asked. choose UP.

4. St. Lukes- they only have a few outside rotations. you will probablly aquire pactically the same theoretical knowledge that you will aquire from othe schools.

5. UST- good reputation. thats all. oh once you are in you are in. they don't have a mortality reate like feu does. meaning if you start at 300 students, more or less 300 will graduate.

But for me........FEU-NRMF 4EVER!

THATS ALL THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Fremitus,
Glad to see another FEU doctor, or soon to be doctor actively posting. Do you plan to come to the US for residency?

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer.

Enjoy clerkship, cuz it is probably the easiest of all the years at FEU. You may work long hours, but you have very little responsibility, so enjoy it. Residency here in the US is very intellectually challenging, but also very rewarding. Good luck.

hiya fremitus,
boy from UERMMMC here, we rotated in medicine at East Avenue Medical Center. Check your pm.

fremitus,

i am a st lukes grad. how many outside rotations would you consider "a lot of outside" rotations. jr internship... if i recall correctly, 1 month east ave OB, 2 weeks NCH pedia, 1 week san lazaro ifectious, 1 month batangas community, 1 week crame legal med, 2 weeks veterans psych, so that would be 3 1/2 months outside, sorry my math isnt so good these days. when i got to east ave, my last rotation as a jr intern, residents were giving preference to my group for OR assists over some of the senior interns. i believe we were pretty good technically as well. the only major glitch is... you HAVE to stay for your senior internship. the good thing is that for California and pennsylvania progarms are wanting more than 1 year of clinical exposure, thats why some filams stay for 6 months, or even the full sr internship (they go to cardinal or makati med). so you're in for 5 years. as far as UST having a LOW mortality... um... the class that entered in 1997 had 25 or 26 filams enter and less 9 go on to the next year, so... they are pretty strict with admitting filams now. and once you're in, you're not necesarily in for good. best of luck with your jr internship. just wanted to clarify a few things. if you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me

[email protected]

again, best of luck

Wow, pretty cool. USIMG, any other reasons you chose the Philippines? Had you been exposed to the culture alot before thinking of going to school there? Are there many caucasians there studying medicine in the Philippines? Just wondering. I would have thought that most Americans who aren't filipino would try the european or caribbean schools first. Quite a journey for you, must have been an experience. :)

wyldstyle (filipino american)

Originally posted by USIMGgrad
My first day in class was very weird. I was the only white guy and all my classmates were looking at me and wondering what on earth was I doing there.

Hi

I have NMAT stuff to clear - anyone who wanna buy NMAT stuff, pls email me?

You need to pass NMAT in order to enter Philippine med schools.

Thanks

if you'd like to be part of a filipino med school directory, please PM me your email address

thanks

don

I don't know if anyone needs more advice about Philippine med schools (I was awed with all the info everyone posted here :) )...but I just wanted to post because I am a Filipino med student, and I can somehow relate with everything everybody has been posting.

I just want to add, I heard that UP is shifting to an integrated organ-systems oriented curriculum next year. The curriculum will be a cross of pbl and the traditional lecture format...I'm just not sure of the details though.

Hey everyone! I passed my NMAT (86th percentile :clap: ) and I am planning to go to the philippines in July to check out some schools. My family is mainly from Cebu so I will be checking out CIM (Velez) and Cebu Doc. I won't be applying until next year because I have to finish my research here. I wanted to know if anyone had any feedback from these schools or any schools in Cebu. Thanks!

just wanted to drop in because i noticed that UST was getting a lot of flak but i'm not surprised because being on top always attracts attention.
i've also noticed that not too many UST alumni or students drop in and that's understandable too. unlike many of my fellow alumni i have a little more time on my hands so i'll step up to the plate!
UST has a low mortality rate- i think one of the posters already countered that. UST has and always will subject their students to rigorous testing and training. that's the way it has always been. its faculty of medicine is the oldest medical school in SE Asia and it still stands because of the quality of graduates it produces. i entered a huge class of 400 only to see 230 graduate. people who have a problem with "survival of the fittest" frequently are not "fit enough". had a rough experience at UST? expect it because only the best survive. this is no school for americans who couldn't get into any of the US medical schools on account of being poor students and intellectually lacking because you will not likely be good enough to get a UST medical degree, unless you make some big time changes.
UST students are rich and spoiled kids- excuse me! i am deeply offended. like many of my classmates, i came from many of the remote provinces and had parents who dreamt of sending their children to medical school. like many of them, i had to help them with that dream with hard studying that started in my high school years and working late into the night after classes in jobs that outrightly violate basic OSHA regulations. there sure were a bunch of rich kids there too! can you blame them? rich people always want the best don't they? in class though, all those social distinctions didn't matter which is why i never felt envy towards them because they didn't get any special privileges at UST.
i am not out to attack the reputations of other schools although i would have a lot to say if i wanted to because i grew up in the philippines and know a lot about philippine medical schools. as a whole, i think all philippine medical schools are among the best in asia and certainly at par with a lot of medical schools in the US.
choosing a medical school is a complicated thing to go through and requires a lot of factors to weigh in. try to get as much information as you can and physically go to that school before you sign or pay anything. you can't go wrong with most medical schools in the philippines but if there is one true thing i must say, "it won't be a piece of cake!"

Hey everyone...I'm in at UERM...just wanted to hear from others who are headed my way :) ....anyone else experiencing a bad case of separation anxiety??..lol

Hi Everybody,

I was going through this thread, but did not come across Angeles School of Medicine in Pampaga.

Can anyone who is aware of the above medical school reply, how is the teaching there.

I am an Indian IMG student planning to do clinicals the above school.

There are many good schools in the Philippines.
UST, UERM, CIM are all good.
UP has good students and access to clinical material but you have to study on your own.
So it all depends on what you are. Do you study on your own or do you need a helping hand?

bangaloreuser said:
What is UP ?

hi! UP stands for University of the Philippines.

to fil-ams who are planning to study med in manila, consider studying in my school--san beda college. my american classmates told me they were only charged US$5,000 instead of the usual $10,000 for the mandatory donation required for foreigners. our professors are all from u.p. that means, we receive the same lectures UP students are getting.

good luck to everyone!

Spartan,

I am considering going into a one year program in the US as a NMT. I am afraid it does not pay as much as I am used to and not enough authority for me in the long term.

I was considering taking a PA program perhaps afterward.

I am bright. Memory is probably not what it used to be. I am taking Anat and Physio I and II this summer together. Medical ethics.

Is it possible for me to get into a PI medical program? What do you think about Manila Central University, Filemon D. Tanchoco?

Everyone will be much younger than I but that is the case here in the US as well. I can't afford living without working for three years here. 1 year NMT plus 2 years Physician assistant program. I could afford 4 years in PI.

I am 47. Is this impossible? Would I make the cut? Hate to start and fail. I was always the top student in school. 200 in organic chemistry, I had the highest grade on 95% of tests. Dito for math, physics, etc.

I used to have great study habits.

What do you think? If you answer, thank you, I am sure you are very busy. My wife is from Davao City. They have a medical school but I would rather be at a bigger institution. Do they use gamma camaras in PI, how about PET scans. Could I leverage my knowledge with one year of NMT to work part time in PI while attending a four year program or better to go right into a medical program after microbiology and biochem?

thanks,

tom and janice latty (thebreeze) [email protected]
Spartan Doc said:
Wow, its great to finally see some new people on the thread, I find that very encouraging.

I could understand a little Tagalog before I went. And learned from the immersion of just being there. By the end I was able to communicate with my patients in Tagalog, but still was unwilling to speak to my friends in Tagalog. The laughter, plus the speed at which I was forced to think (very slowly) was pretty frustrating. Try to take an intro to Tagalog class if they offer one in your area. It may help a little bit.

If you are Americanized, but have an open mind and are patient. You will be fine. Go there realistic, the Philippines is hot, dirty, and has corruption, in short, it is a third world country. Go there with this expectation... you cannot change the Philippines, you can only change your attitude toward accepting it. I quickly grew to love it there.

Far EastGrapplr2- good luck on your Step 1, do lots and lots of questions. And apply to residency programs as early as you can.

The Breeze,
I received you PM and I sent you one back, please check that. please feel free to ask any further questions

uh hi...thank you for all the info about the med schools in the Philippines...uh what about PLM? is it a good school? some of my friends recommended it to me among others...:confused:

PLM, or the university of the city of manila in english, has a government funded medical program, it's a subsidized program so most of the students are people the school feels 1. wil contribute to the country after graduation 2. cannot afford medical education.
i don't think the have any international students but you could give it a shot, anything's possible.

Can anyone give any info on apartments near UERM? I need to find accommodations before class starts in June. Also, what about internet, cable, and cell phone info?

I suggest you contact the school and get some numbers for Fil-ams that are currently enrolled. They may help you with suggestions. As far as Cell phones, the 2 major carriers are Globe and Smart. To get a "line" you will need a credit card and permanent address. You can also get a prepaid line, where you simply buy phone cards worth 250 -1000 pesos, and buy a new one each time you run out of money on the card. Most people usually text message rather than talk there, so a prepaid card usually suffices for most people.

As far as Cable, you will have to have an address for them to come to install to. There are 3 major companies, and availability will depend where exactly you live. They usually require you to be at the address for installation. Internet is sometimes available for these companies as well. Both dial up and Cable are more expensive than here. I used prepaid internet cards though, as I did not have much time to spend on the internet.

Sorry for such vague answers, but realize that applying for these things as well as bank accounts etc. are much more time consuming and frustrating compared to the US, as the Bureaucracy and red tape just slows everything down. Just accept this and expect this and you will save yourself the frustration. Other than that, the Philippines will be a great time, good luck to you.

emote said:
Can anyone give any info on apartments near UERM? I need to find accommodations before class starts in June. Also, what about internet, cable, and cell phone info?

SkyCable costs around PhP 700/month. (http://www.skycable.com/)

Internet? I'm using pre-paid cards. My card allows me to surf for 20 hours for only PhP 100. (www.ispbonanza.com.ph)

House/apartment lease in Manila ranges from PhP 5,000 to as much as 20K/month. Try searching in this website... http://www.buyandsellph.com/... look for houses/apartment in Sta. Mesa or San Juan since UERM is situated near those places.

Good luck! :D

hey emote,
to answer your questions, you should probably prepare like 7,000 - 15,000 per month for an apt. you may want to get temporary accomodation initially, as you may find better accomodation in the area or you may decide to move into a house with other students.
there's this place called Robbinsdale, it's a hotel, sort of, it caters mostly to foreigners and you could probably stay there for about a week while you work out other living arrangements. some students also live in Robinsdale (we call it "the dale"), so if you like it you may choose to stay there.

when will you be in the phils?

i just graduated and will be here for a couple of months before heading back. i might be able to help out if i'm in manila when you get here.

University of the Philippines and University of Santo Tomas ranks among the best medical schools in the Philippines.

Hi,
my name is Maria, I am not Philippino origine and live in Australia. I would like to study medicine in the Philippines. I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips concerning NMAT preparation. I have the Kaplan MCAT books. Can I use them to study for the exam? Are there any books for NMAT to be bought by amazon or from anywhere else? Are there any on-line trial exams? When is the next NMAT exam?

Thanks for your efforts
Cheers
Maria

Hi
I am writing from Australia and was wondering if you are Philippino origin. I come from Cyprus and consider going to the Philippines. I found interesting what you said about the NMAT. I thought I have to wait have a year until I can sit the exam. That would mean for me waiting until July 2005 to start medicine. Any ideas how I can speed this up? Unfortunately I am not in the US. I also thought that the NMAT is very difficult. I have a degree in Biology (Germany) and Naturopathy (Australia). I got the books for MCAT but don't know how much help they would be for the exam. Any tips you can give me?
Thanks for your efforts
Cheers
Maria

USIMGgrad said:
Hello all,

Nice to know that there are Fatima graduates in this forum. Hi to all fatima alumni and current and future students. Well, I will just post my experience as a medical student in the philippines and then write about the pro's and con's of Fatima.

I first heard about philippine medical schools when I was working in NYC by a filipino friend of mine. I was attracted because of how affordable it was to go to med school there. Anyway, after a long time procastinating about the whole idea, I finally decided to go. I contacted the philippine embassy and they referred me to a guy named Mr. Ramos. I called him up from work one day and he invited me to meet him in the city. When I met up with him, He told me about the different schools but highly recommended Fatima. He gave me some literature to read and I decided I would go to Fatima. I needed to take the NMAT (philippines MCAT) and Mr. Ramos scheduled me and within a week I took the exam and I was off to the philippines. The NMAT is basically an IQ test with math and science sections. I studied like the night before and ended up getting an average score. Fatima doesnt care about your NMAT score as long as you have taken it for administrative purposes. I was told that I needed to pay an out of state fee which was $8000 but I was able to reduce it to $5000.

So anyway, I quit my job in NYC and prepared to fly to the philippines. I departed JFK thinking OH MY GOD I AM REALLY GOING! and landed 24 hours later at Aquino international airport in manila. When I got out of the airport there was a fatima car waiting for me to bring me to my dorm. It was hot. I was pretty shocked of what I saw. I had never been to a 3rd world country before. Once I arrived at my dorm the drivers helped me with my bags and after a day or so I was pretty much settled. School started 2 weeks later. My first day in class was very weird. I was the only white guy and all my classmates were looking at me and wondering what on earth was I doing there. A few weeks later I met some other students from the states and that made things a little easier for me. I was pretty hardcore about my studies because I didnt want to waste my time and money so I studied alot. There was alot to read and memorize and since my classmates were a few years younger than me I had to work harder to do above average. I actually was able to remain in the top 10% of my class all through out med school. I made alot of friends, local and foriegn.

Medical school is tough anywhere. But there are certain things that you need to do if you want to survive in the philippines. First, you need to make friends. This is very important especailly during exam time. My friends helped me alot in terms of things that will be tested, notes and past exam. Second, need to live in a quite place thats close to the school. I lived walking distance away from the school in a very quite building. Rent is very cheap in the philippines I would even suggest buying a place for 4 years and then selling it when you are ready to leave. Third, You need to learn your way around. Learn to speak a little tagalog just to be able to get around. I found that filipinos like you much more if you are able to speak in there own language. Although, almost everyone speaks english. Plus it helps you in school also. Fourth, keeps your nose clean and away from too much attention from students and teachers. Sometimes, being to overt can get you in alot of trouble in the philippines. Basically, stay out of troublre. Fifth, My focus at Fatima was more on the USMLE and getting back here for residency. I didn't worry too much about grades just made sure I was passing all my classes and at the same time reading the MLE review books. I still ended up doing pretty well.

Now Fatima:

Pro's:

Fatima has improved a thousand times from the time I enrolled. They have a brand new 11 story modern building with nice big airconditioned classrooms. The admin has improved alot. The teaching is not so bad. Especially with clinicals. I learned most of my clinicals in the philippines because of the excellent exposure to all sorts of disease. OB GYne is excellent in Fabiela. Its hardcore with 24 hours plus of standing and delivering. I would highly recommend it. I can deliver a baby and do and episiotomy and repair with my eyes closed. I can probably do a CS now too cause I have seen about 12 cases in the OR with one first assist. Surgery is great there too as well as well medicine. If you decided to go to the philippines just remember that you are on your own all the way. No one there will help you study for the USMLE, No one cares about it unless they are planning on coming here to practice. There is clerkship here available. Costs $5000.

Con's:

No USMLE reviews, you are basically on your own. The red tape beaurocracy can drive you nuts at times. You have no privacy in terms of your grades. Everyone knows one anothers grades. Locals can sometimes get over competitive with the foriegners. Alot of favoritism going around. Too much talk and gossip. Too many delays. But I guess this is everywhere in the philippines. Away from family and freinds for long periods of time.

I would definately recommend Fatima above all other schools just because the school and students are more used to foriegners now. THere are more accomodations for foriegners at Fatima than other schools. THe students tend to be more friendlier. I have heard horror stories from foriegners attending UST about how nasty the students are to them. UST students are rich and spoiled and they tend to gang up on the foriegners. Alot of foriegners transferred from UST and other schools to Fatima.

Hope this helps others contemplating on goiing so far for med school.

Good Luck

PS Anyone here who went to Fatima can PM me and I would love to get in touch with you again. Who knows we might know each other.

Hi I guess you must have already sold your NMAT stuff. Since I am considering taking the exam could you pls tell me what is required? I live in Australia!
cheers
maria

IndianMedic said:
Hi

I have NMAT stuff to clear - anyone who wanna buy NMAT stuff, pls email me?

You need to pass NMAT in order to enter Philippine med schools.

Thanks

Hey Mamorcy,
I don't mean any offense to those in the Philippines, but the NMAT is not an exam you should worry about. The MCAT kaplan material is more than adequate for the test. From what I remember, there are 4 sections, math, science, logic puzzles, and an english section. MCAT math and science will cover the material very well. The english section is not too hard, and the logic puzzles section requires you to mathc patterns and correct sentences, i.e. look for the missing comma etc.
It is given 2 times a year, in the spring and in the fall. I do not know if it is given in Australia. If you are truly interested, try to contact schools in the Philippines, and they should be able to set you up with a coordinator that works provides assistance to foreign graduates such as yourself. I know that Fatima and FEU have someone like this, and I am sure other schools have people as well.
I took the MCAT, and browsed through some of the kaplan material the week before taking the NMAT and scored in the 98th percentile. And by no means am I a star student.

Hi Maria,

I am not going to med school in the Philippines but just happen to read this board because I was born there and did interview at UST for med school (my family's alma mater).

As for the logic puzzles, if you want, you may want to try the DAT test prep book for dental school. I know they have that section on their exam.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

Hi,

From what I remember I only studied like a few days for the NMAT. I don't remember much from the exam. I think you can get study materials for the NMAT in the philippines. There is even a review class for it. Here is a link for the review. http://www.admu.edu.ph/depts/bio/nmat.html

More useful links:

http://www.apmc.org.ph/NMAT/

http://www.pinoystudent.com/special/review.html

http://www.dmsf.edu.ph/announcement/2003/july/21/NMAT/

Good luck

mamorcy said:
Hi
I am writing from Australia and was wondering if you are Philippino origin. I come from Cyprus and consider going to the Philippines. I found interesting what you said about the NMAT. I thought I have to wait have a year until I can sit the exam. That would mean for me waiting until July 2005 to start medicine. Any ideas how I can speed this up? Unfortunately I am not in the US. I also thought that the NMAT is very difficult. I have a degree in Biology (Germany) and Naturopathy (Australia). I got the books for MCAT but don't know how much help they would be for the exam. Any tips you can give me?
Thanks for your efforts
Cheers
Maria

Hi everybody,

I saw that there is somebody who is responsible for universities in connection with the embassy in the US. Does anybody have his e-mail address or even the e-mail address of the embassy in the US which is dealing with medical studies? I thought that if I can contact them they may give me some links. Unfortunately the embassy in Australia is very slow.

Does anybody know if it is possible to take the NMAT at any embassy of Philippines anytime or does it have to be only at the US embassies specified at the specified time?
Does anybody know when the next NMAT is?

Thanks Spartan Doc, box29 and USIMGgrad for your messages, you have been very helpful!

Thanks for your efforts

Cheers
Maria

After going through several messages I found the name of a person called "Mr Ramos" who is apparently dealing with recruiting foreign students. Does anybody have his e-mail address, even phone number or the e-mail address of the us embassy he is working in? I will be contacting him from Australia.
cheers and thanks for your help
Maria

To Mamorcy:

I just private messaged you regarding Mr Ramos' contact information.

mamorcy said:
After going through several messages I found the name of a person called "Mr Ramos" who is apparently dealing with recruiting foreign students. Does anybody have his e-mail address, even phone number or the e-mail address of the us embassy he is working in? I will be contacting him from Australia.
cheers and thanks for your help
Maria

Thanks to everyone for your help. To WaZoBio, I appreciate your offer and will be in the Philippines by May 23rd.

hi,
i have just contacted mr ramos and was wondering what your experience is at the fatima. i supposed the person you are talking about is him. have you been able to find anything else out about the famima. i have been throught this webside and the comments about this university are controversial. what is your opinion?
thanks for your input
mamorcy

wendigo said:
Hi mas100,

Right now I'm leaning toward Fatima. I've heard a great deal of good things about this school. (However, my source can be unreliable as I know he's an agent for the school). Also, I know that they offer special program catered to foreign students who plan to return to their home countries upon graduation. (The tuition is slightly more expensive from what I gathered).

I also know that there are around 20 - 30 north american students at Fatima and around 300+ international students from east asian countries.

Another thing is... I was told that international students are required to take courses in Taglog (spelling?? the native language of philippines) at UERM. Learning a new language is something I would not consider at this moment. So that alone pretty much rules out any possibility of attending UERMMC :(

So, Fatima is my top choice...

Let me know what u think...

PS: btw, i'm gonna email a filipino doctor tonight.. I'm gonna ask what he thinks.. I'll tell you what he says after i get words from him..

dawnee said:
i'm planning on starting med school at UERM this june... i can't quite comment on the quality of the education (yet!), but i have heard positive remarks. if you do plan on applying, it'd be wise to plan ahead... it could take some time obtaining applications as well as taking the NMAT.
i was wondering what you found out about the fatima and if you are still planning to go there.
cheers
maria

my professor told us that fatima's reputation has been tainted since the cheating incident that happened in the 90s. it's a sad fact that today, (according to him) people in the medical community distrust a transcript of record issued by that school. :(

Nehemiah said:
I don't like Fatima. This school really kicks up turd. If I had to do it all over again, I definitely would not have chosen Fatima. St. Luke's would definitely have been a better fit, at least for me. But I'll try not to be so biased. Here are my two cents worth:

Pros: relatively cheap compared to other schools, excellent Philipino board preparation classes, new medical building, fairly respectable faculty, large number of fil-ams and foreigners. Listed in WHO and that ECFMG list. Strong academic scholarship program for the truly gifted and highly motivated.

Cons: an inefficient, indifferent administration. No effective student-teacher-administration feedback. This school is effectively run by decree. Turmoil in the administration since the patron, Dr. Santos, has passed away. Teaching is not geared for the USMLE. located on the outskirts of Metro Manila with HEAVY traffic. Majority of students are of questionable ability. Hospital wards are pathetic learning experiences because the patients are few. All the classes are arbitrarily run. Exams are frequently not tied to lecture materials or textbook facts. Teachers are frequently very late to classes and a lot don't seem to care about teaching.

A lot of the cons are applicable to many schools in the philippines, and not just fatima.

With regards to the scandal, i'd like to throw in my opinion. According to my teachers (so do take this with a shake of salt), the "Incident" occured in 1991 when the top twenty testtakers in the philippine national medical board exam hailed from Fatima. This was unprecedented. No school had ever dominated the national rankings that much. Naturally, the established medical schools cried, "FOUL", and started this controversy that got onto the front page of all the newspapers. At one point, the fatima students in question agreed to sit for the exam again to try to prove that they had not cheated (ie brought notes into class or communicated incognito with each other). This was also unprecedented to require students to retake the boards. Nonetheless, the scores on the second sitting was congruent to the first, in order from number one to number twenty. So what gives?

Allegedly, the board exam in 1991 turned out to be a direct carbon copy, word for word, of the exam in 1985. The Department of Health had apparently been too lazy to re-write the exam. If there should have been a villain, it should have been the pencilpushing medico-bureaucrats. At the time, the DOH released all the exams after each year, just like the NBME used to. However, since the incident, the prior exam questions have not been released anymore.

All the medical schools in Manila had access to the old exams prior to 1991. Whether or not their students studied the old exams is another thing. At Fatima, the teachers made a point of hammering the old sample questions into the students. Memorizing several thousand multiple choice questions from a decade's worth of board exams is not a light undertaking. Believe me, all those questions start merging into each other after the first few hundred items. The top twenty students on the boards also happened to be the top twenty students in the school by rank. So I believe it was because that they worked really hard to achieve the score that they did.

Now, the issue of whether studying old exams in order to succeed in medical boards is truly an effective way producing competency in future medical doctors is moot. Even US students study old exam questions for the USMLE. The board scores are the primary determinant in what residency programs you can get into.

The reason why the other schools were so annoyed was that the ranking of schools was based on the number of topnotchers that the school had. So for 1991, Fatima was the number one medical school in all of the Philippines. The establishment was not pleased. Since then, the formula for the ranking of schools has been changed so that it is the average of the students' board exams that counts. Now, UP Diliman and UST need not ever worry again about their rankings cuz all their crappy students who fail out of their classes transfer to Fatima and thus boost their average.

That's what I hate most out of all the criticism laid on Fatima: that students who failed from other schools, that students who couldn't handle the other schools, they all transferred to Fatima, the crappy school for all underachieving medical students. Fatima used to be the only school that accepted transfer students. UP and UST wouldn't accept a transfer even if he was to be a future Nobel prizewinner. The other schools were so draconian in the way they treat their students who were having a hard time. If you fail, you're out. there is no reprieve. American medical schools would never do that; rather, they would provide one-on-one tutoring and mentoring to make sure that you get over whatever difficulties you were having. What's amazing about Fatima is that they take these so-called failing students and put them through all the way so that they pass the board exams and finish their medical education. It's not easy to take a so-called failure and turn him/her into a success. But that's just my opinion and I'm a liberal Republican.

ok, sorry for the long message.