Filipino Med students or premeds: O-chem or botany?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just would like to ask for your opinion regarding what subjects to take this JUne for completing my premed requirements.
ORGANIC CHEM OR BOTANY?
I already graduated and trying to complet my subjects. most of the schools i want to apply to don't really have subject requisites, but in case i don't get accepted, i'm also trying to meet the subject requisites of other schools such as organic chem and botany.
I already have 20 units of Bio (minimum required is 15), but it doesn't include botany.
I still need 5 units of chem, which i'd like to meet with O-chem.
P.S. I'm stronger in Bio than CHem too. I would like to take botany, but it seems organic chem is the reasonable one, especially since I'm weak in it.
My concern is, whihc of the two would give me a better chance of a good NMAT score this December? I cannot take both at the same time because I'm simultaneously reviewing for December Board Exams.

BTW, what dates or week of December was the NMAT last year?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

take organic chemistry... it is more difficult than biochem and gen chem but it is quite interesting... you will learn how to synthesize aspirin and ibuprofen... of course it will also help you a lot in understanding biochme... i dunno but i fell in love with org chem... hahahahahaha......

seriously.. take org chem... you'll hate it for now but you'll appreciate it later on...

marooner said:
take organic chemistry... it is more difficult than biochem and gen chem but it is quite interesting... you will learn how to synthesize aspirin and ibuprofen... of course it will also help you a lot in understanding biochme... i dunno but i fell in love with org chem... hahahahahaha......

seriously.. take org chem... you'll hate it for now but you'll appreciate it later on...

yep i agree take organic chemistry!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take Botany. If Biochemistry (which is most relevant for med school) is not available, Organic Chem is the closest thing.

i enrolled in both O-chem and botany.
the reason why i got botany is that my number 5 school choice SPEFICALLY REQUIRED botany to be part of the 15-unit BIO subject load. This is also a school i have more chances at acceptance in.

Howeeever,
My top 3 choice schools don't require an applicant to take this or that subject, just a BS or BA degree. But, I think my chances at acceptance are lesser. :D My number 4 just requires the unit loads, not specific topics per subject.

I really don't like botany and the BIO subjects i took in undergrad already exceed 15-units whihc is the general requirement for my number 4 & 5. Also, I would really really like to use the TIME and MOney and ENERGY spent on BOTANy for reviewing my BOARD exams.

I just enrolled in BOTANY to be sure because i thought it was a requirement from CHED for all medical schools. Now, I've read another CHED memo (2003) that it's just BA or BS degree and NMAT, etc and the medical schools decide on their own on how to admit students (probbly includes subject requirements).

The chase: Is it a good idea to just drop BOTANY and trust that i might get accepted into any of my top 4 schools? and instead spend energy on reviewing for the boards and NMAT?

Thanks to anyone who responds to this long post. :luck:

savi said:
just would like to ask for your opinion regarding what subjects to take this JUne for completing my premed requirements.
ORGANIC CHEM OR BOTANY?
I already graduated and trying to complet my subjects. most of the schools i want to apply to don't really have subject requisites, but in case i don't get accepted, i'm also trying to meet the subject requisites of other schools such as organic chem and botany.
I already have 20 units of Bio (minimum required is 15), but it doesn't include botany.
I still need 5 units of chem, which i'd like to meet with O-chem.
P.S. I'm stronger in Bio than CHem too. I would like to take botany, but it seems organic chem is the reasonable one, especially since I'm weak in it.
My concern is, whihc of the two would give me a better chance of a good NMAT score this December? I cannot take both at the same time because I'm simultaneously reviewing for December Board Exams.

BTW, what dates or week of December was the NMAT last year?
Thanks.

I have picked UERM and FEU as the schools I intend to apply to, however the school where I am back filling requirements does not give out the sciences in 5 unit blocks.

So for example, FEU requires this:

Biology --------------------------- 15 units
Chemistry ------------------------ 10 units
Mathematics ---------------------- 9 units
Physics ----------------------------- 5 units
Social Science ------------------- 12 units

I have taken Bio 101-102 with lab for only 8 credits total and will take another 4 credit Bio with lab but I will still be short since the labs are considered non-credit. So my question is this, if I show up to FEU or UERM with credits short will I get bounced or still accepted for admissions or has anyone gotten accepted with some credits short because of how units are doled out at their school like mine, just asking here before I call the Phillipines to confirm.

Thanks

really, i want to be a doctor but im really lost. im a nursing student & i just have:
6 units ----------math
3 " ---------- physics
3 " ----------- biology
and, i dont know what subjects to take next sem to complete the required subj. :confused: whuaaaaaah... help pls.

really, i want to be a doctor but im really lost. im a nursing student & i just have:
6 units ----------math
3 " ---------- physics
3 " ----------- biology
and, i dont know what subjects to take next sem to complete the required subj. whuaaaaaah... help pls.

What kind of biology did you take? You must take Zoology 101 (basic) and comparative vertebrate anatomy (Zoo), each with lab of course. You can also take up Botany.

For Physics, you can take up the lab course of the physics subject you took, assuming it was only the lecture part.

For Math, how many units does the NMAT and the schools of your choice require?

6 units ----------math
3 " ---------- physics
3 " ----------- biology
and, i dont know what subjects to take next sem to complete the required subj. :confused: whuaaaaaah... help pls.

Hi!
some schools no longer have specific unit load requirements per subject anymore. it would be good to consider calling the individual schools you are interested in.

what semester/year level are you in now?

i am a nurse in PBL-style medschool now and i didn't take additional subjects before entering. the schools i applied to also didn't require those subjects that you mentioned, although they did before.

however, i think it's a good idea that you have a solid background in the basic sciences as they would really be helpful especially in your 1st year subjects, especially in the traditional curriculum.

:luck:

hi...
thanks to those who answered my Q.
uhm. im a 2nd yr. irreg student, my school, really, dont have zoo in the corriculum, physics, yes, it has lab., anatomy & physio, basic chem, & a lot of nursing subjects.
:confused:
what is my target school? any school that ill pass... im hopeless, you see....

I would definitely take Organic Chemistry over Botany. When I was an undergrad at UCLA, it was required of my major. Also, as a current 3rd year medical student at UCLA, I know that our school requires one year of Organic Chemistry with Lab as a prereq for med school admissions. Also, if you can take Biochemistry, that would be helpful as well.

Voltron77
:D

I would definitely take Organic Chemistry over Botany. When I was an undergrad at UCLA, it was required of my major. Also, as a current 3rd year medical student at UCLA, I know that our school requires one year of Organic Chemistry with Lab as a prereq for med school admissions. Also, if you can take Biochemistry, that would be helpful as well.

Voltron77
:D

hmm...i think the OP was asking questions as a potential Philippine medical student..
Philippine med schools have different requirements and some have even loosened them because of the drastic drop in enrollments with more students going to nursing school. The requirements have mostly been loosened in the subject prerequisites area, esp with private schools.
It would be best to call the school one is interested in rather than listen to us anonymous posters here..:D

hmm...i think the OP was asking questions as a potential Philippine medical student..
Philippine med schools have different requirements and some have even loosened them because of the drastic drop in enrollments with more students going to nursing school. The requirements have mostly been loosened in the subject prerequisites area, esp with private schools.
It would be best to call the school one is interested in rather than listen to us anonymous posters here..:D

In general, Organic Chemistry would be the wiser choice to take if planning to go to medical school, regardless if the med school is in the Philippines or in the US. :idea:

i'll also go for org chem..i think it's much of a help than botany if u'l pursue medicine..

@savana
if u lack units for biological sciences, i suggest histology and compa ana..for chem, biochem cud be of great help for med students..

I was required to take both.. Organic Chem last year and Botany last tem. I was even wondering why I have botany on my 3rd year? But ofcourse Organic Chem would be of great help if you're going to pursue medicine.