Fill in the Blank: If they haven't asked by BLANK, they probably won't

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderHound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the Dean's Letter dropped today, and all those stubborn hold-outs should be sending interview invites in the coming days/weeks right?

My question for the interns/residents is, what is the latest date that a program contacted you to offer an interview? End of November? Middle of November?

Members don't see this ad.

i got asked for some in december. my thought process going into interviews was, give it a 3 week period...basically from when the dean's letter comes out to thanksgiving to see what came in and where i stood. the one's in december were late, but they were offers. i took one, and declined 2. it all depends on where you stand by thanksgiving and how confident you are about your competitiveness as an applicant.

yeah, well this whole process blows...just thought i'd share that apple

Members don't see this ad :)
i got asked for some in december. my thought process going into interviews was, give it a 3 week period...basically from when the dean's letter comes out to thanksgiving to see what came in and where i stood. the one's in december were late, but they were offers. i took one, and declined 2. it all depends on where you stand by thanksgiving and how confident you are about your competitiveness as an applicant.

So you get a late offer, why worry about competitiveness? If we offer an interview it's because we want to see you. Believe me, I've got lots of better things to do than interview people that I'm not going to seriously consider.

Suppose Candidate A makes a New Year's resolution to cancel 2 interviews scheduled for late January because she decides she doesn't want to do residency in City X, and Candidate B cancels 5 interviews scheduled for late January because he has already interviewed at Y number of places he'd be happy matching at. Do programs offer invitations to try to fill those spots or do they invite more people than they plan on interviewing with the understanding that these sort of withdrawals/cancellations tend to happen? If in fact they try to fill those spots, then you could potentially get an invitation as late as early- to mid-January, couldn't you?

Suppose Candidate A makes a New Year's resolution to cancel 2 interviews scheduled for late January because she decides she doesn't want to do residency in City X, and Candidate B cancels 5 interviews scheduled for late January because he has already interviewed at Y number of places he'd be happy matching at. Do programs offer invitations to try to fill those spots or do they invite more people than they plan on interviewing with the understanding that these sort of withdrawals/cancellations tend to happen? If in fact they try to fill those spots, then you could potentially get an invitation as late as early- to mid-January, couldn't you?

How do you feel when the airline overbooks? It makes me crazy to be bumped.

I try to use all of my slots, even late. So I book all the slots, and then offer more when people cancel.

Others just cut it off on a certain date.