Fill in the blanks: MCAT is primarily a function of __, and GPA a function of __.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fill in the blanks: MCAT scores are primarily a function of ________, and GPA is primarily a function of ________.

I just want to hear some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

practice......hard work

MCAT scores are primarily a function of learning how to take the test, and and GPA is primarily a function of hard work .

Can you tell I'm a little bitter over that test? :) I did okay though, just thought that GPA is a better indicator of how good of a med student you can be.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT scores are primarily a function of applying a clear thought process to requisite knowledge and GPA is primarily a function of preparation.

Originally posted by qweewq11
Fill in the blanks: MCAT scores are primarily a function of ________, and GPA is primarily a function of ________.

I just want to hear some opinions.

stamina in preparation and execution
stamina in preparation and execution

hard work; hard work

turns out that the hard work put into the MCAT is the only thing medical schools can compare students fairly by, while the hard work for the GPA can be taken into account, but is not standardized across the nation like the MCAT.

Fill in the blanks: MCAT scores are primarily a function of mastering the structure of the test and GPA is primarily a function of time management ability.

Hey, wasn't that a question on the SAT?

'MCAT is to GPA' as 'purposeless perseveration' is to ______?

Both are ways to screw u in the long run, and can't accuratley predict who will be the better Dr./Dra. It's sad how these numbers are so important...

I guess I would say, lots of studying, time manangment and reguritation

MCAT: Practice and luck
GPA: hard work and luck

The luck factor from those times you BARELY made an A in a class, or the MCAT didn't test things you had no clue about.

Originally posted by exigente chica
Both are ways to screw u in the long run, and can't accuratley predict who will be the better Dr./Dra. It's sad how these numbers are so important...

I guess I would say, lots of studying, time manangment and reguritation

Actually, if you don't have the dedication to hit the books and the intelligence to apply the knowledge to patient care, then you won't probably do too well as a physician (no matter how kind, fun, loving, and strong-willed you are). GPA and MCAT are good assessments to how well you will handle the VOLUME of info thrown at you during medical school and residency. It only gets harder and harder.

For instance, in a college biochem class, the professor will spend 1 week on DNA transciption, translation, and processing. In medical school, you'll cover this info in 1 hour. Similarly, respiratory physiology will be covered in 1-2 hours, muscles of the arm and it's mechanics will be covered in 1-2 hours, and the eye will be covered in 1 hour. If people have trouble doing well in undergrad or the MCAT, they'll likely suffer through medical school, residency, and the medical boards (3 Steps plus your speciality boards). For some speciality boards the pass rate is very low, e.g. 60-70% for cardiology. These physicians aren't dumb, it's just hard due to the volume of info needed for cardiology. Studying does not stop after you graduate from med school either. Residency will require just as much, particularly if you want to be good in your field.

This is why it's important to screen people by GPA and MCAT because it's an objective measure of their ability to learn and digest new information.

That makes sense...

At any rate:

MCAT scores are primarily a function of discipline/ native intelligence/ a bit of luck, and GPA is primarily a function of discipline/ hard work/ native intelligence.

Originally posted by exigente chica

I'm going to have to go with Ophtho on this one. MCAT and GPA are pretty good predictors, statistically.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Admissions committees ignore GPA and MCAT, what possibly can they recruit students by? Their eye color? If you aren't willing to put in the time to study to get a reasonable GPA, what makes adcoms think that you will suddenly change in college?

I dont have any statistics, but I would assume MCAT +GPA is perhaps the best indicator of first/second year med school performance. Sure, some students might blossom, but there would be no concrete way for med schools to identify this trait.

So if not MCAT + GPA, then what?

Personally, I think admissions should be based on looks.
Bring on the hotties, they are needed!

In any case, I think MCAT is largely a measure of how much time and $$ a person is willing to spend on prep materials. But there is a small segment of the population that is just good at standardized tests and dont need to study much. GPA is a mixture of discipline, desire, sacrifice (no social life), and memorization ability.

Originally posted by scootad.
Personally, I think admissions should be based on looks.
Bring on the hotties, they are needed!

In any case, I think MCAT is largely a measure of how much time and $$ a person is willing to spend on prep materials. But there is a small segment of the population that is just good at standardized tests and dont need to study much. GPA is a mixture of discipline, desire, sacrifice (no social life), and memorization ability.

So what kind of doctor would you be if you didn't spend time studying, didn't have discipline/desire/made sacrifices, and couldn't retain information?

LOL. If you watch Patch Adams, which is a really good movie, there is quite a lengthy debate on whether a doctor is a friend or a professional scientist. The ideal is both, because the patient already has friends and doesnt want to pay you $10,000 for touchy-feely advice, and because you don't want a computer running an algorithm to determine the best route of treatment.

So of course, being "human" is very good. But being a scientist is also important. GPA + MCAT are about the only barometers of the scientific aspect, while interviews are the only feasible way to gauge "humanity".

The Mcat is by far a better judge of how you will do in med school. While there are many variables that can go into the outcome of your Mcat score there are thousands more variables that can affect you Gpa. Where you went to college, how serious you were as a freshman, if you had to work full time, etc. all play into your gpa. Multiply that over a period of four years and there are MANY variables that can affect perfromance of Gpa. The standardized test makes it a much more level playing field.

how many cats you own

Anal-ness

MCAT: intelligence, critical thinking, composure under pressure, retention of basic science concepts

GPA: self-discipline, stamina, time-management, commitment to further education with a competitive admissions process

I would have to say that people on SDN seem to emphasize stats and downplay the so called "human" aspect of medicine more so than warrented. Obviously we all want a physician who is technically proficient and knows their stuff, but personally I would rather have a technically GOOD physician that genuinely cares about me, informs me, listens to me, and makes me feel comfortable, than a technically GREAT physician that could care less about me as a person.

And obviously I'm taking about a generalist here. I might not say the same thing about complicated surgery - where technical ability makes much more of a difference. :cool:

wazupshah,
its hard to describe the humanist aspect on a messageboard to confer acceptance data. but its easy to write one liners with stats and where you got accepted

(its late, im not gonna capitalize or reread the above)

MCAT scores are primarily a function of the sum of three variables curved nationally and GPA is primarily a function of the weighed average of grades you receive post-secondarily.

Mcat......test prep.

GPA.......consistent effort

I should have asked everyone who responded to post their GPA and MCAT scores to see how they correspond to their opinions

thorough preparation, clear thinking, luck; consistent hard work

GPA measures how diligently one works and how well they take instruction. The MCAT measures whether, and to what degree, one can that instruction without being coddled.

Originally posted by Samoa
MCAT: intelligence, critical thinking, composure under pressure, retention of basic science concepts

GPA: self-discipline, stamina, time-management, commitment to further education with a competitive admissions process

I agree with Samoa 100%. One can increase one's score with practice, however, the upper limit is not the same for everyone(due to intelligence, critical thinking, reasoning ability, etc). The simple fact is for some of us, it doesn't matter if we have a herculean work ethic, there is a cap for one's MCAT score.

On the other hand, GPA is self-discipline, drive, and work ethic.
I think of it like this, and this is a broad generalization(i admit) but might illustrate my opinion.

A person with a low MCAT and High GPA might be considered a "overachiever". Conversely, a person with high MCAT, and low GPA might be considered "underachievers". Thus, if you have low MCAT and High GPA I would emphasize work ethic on my personal statement(i.e. I will work very hard in med school). However, if you have HIGH MCAT and Low GPA, I would use the motivation card(I am not happy with my UGPA, however I am now motivated to succeed due to (you fill in the blank).

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck everyone, on your med applications.