Quantcast

Fill out Parents' Info on FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Okay, I know there have been other threads on this, I already read them. I was wondering if I needed to do this.

I will be attending UTDB this fall. I actually called the Financial aid office and asked if I should fill our my parents' tax info, they said no. (the lady was sharp with me and seemed annoyed though, so maybe she was just giving the easy answer)

HOWEVER, I remember that during one of the financial aid interviews the schools said that it could help you get other financial aid/scholarships from the school.

My parents make a decent amount of money, they are not rich at all, but I don't know that their income would qualify me for any low income scholarships/grants/etc...

Do you think I should fill it out? Any dental school students have any experience with this?

sdooner30

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I've heard that theres loan(s) like the Health Professions Student Loan that requires your parent's info in order to be considered for it.

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know there have been other threads on this, I already read them. I was wondering if I needed to do this.

I will be attending UTDB this fall. I actually called the Financial aid office and asked if I should fill our my parents' tax info, they said no. (the lady was sharp with me and seemed annoyed though, so maybe she was just giving the easy answer)

HOWEVER, I remember that during one of the financial aid interviews the schools said that it could help you get other financial aid/scholarships from the school.

My parents make a decent amount of money, they are not rich at all, but I don't know that their income would qualify me for any low income scholarships/grants/etc...

Do you think I should fill it out? Any dental school students have any experience with this?

Won't help you - do not fill it out. THey have to make less than poverty line to help you. If it didn't get you free money for undergrad it most certainly won't help now.

MKD1960

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is copied directly from UDMercy's financial aid page:

HEALTH PROFESSION'S LOAN (HPL)
To be considered for funds for the HPL program, each student must supply parental income/asset information on the FAFSA regardless of the dependency status. The HPL funds available any given year depends upon the prior year's collection of the HPL funds from former students. Due to this circumstance, the amount of HPL funds
available to each student for a given academic year varies considerably. Typically, awards are a minimum of $6,000. Interest rate is fixed at 5%.

You need to fill it out parent info if you want the HPL. If you don't think you'll need a HPL than I think you can just go with your info.

Last edited:

mamelons

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to be considered for health professional scholarship then you have to fill out your parents information. I was told that it is difficult to get these scholarships if your parents make a decent income, so I didn't bother. I claimed myself as dependent and was able to get the government subsidized loan and a grant because my income was so low. If you are currently declared as dependent I would claim yourself as independent unless your parents are planning on paying for your school. On another note, you will not have trouble getting the loan money you need through Stafford loans unsubsidized and/or subsidized due to the low cost of attendance -- the Stafford loans will be plenty to cover everything you need at UTDB.