filling out parents' info on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on the part where, while they consider you an independent, but if applying to a graduate health program (which i am, public health), would like your parents info:
do you all fill that out? does it hurt/help the aid you receive? thanks. t.

Members don't see this ad.

At MSUCOM, they told us that using your parents financial info could only help you, not hurt you. We all get the same total of student loan money offered to us each semester, I think it just depends on what portion will be subsidized versus nonsubsidized. Some scholarships require you to include your parents income on the FAFSA. I think that asking the financial aid dep't at the school you are or will be attending would be a good idea.

NJT said:
on the part where, while they consider you an independent, but if applying to a graduate health program (which i am, public health), would like your parents info:
do you all fill that out? does it hurt/help the aid you receive? thanks. t.

The parent's income CANNOT be considered by FAFSA for aid consideration, so it really doesn't matter whether or not if you put the information on there.

There are some schools that offer aid based on parent's info. Check with your school to see if they do.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the quick advice you guys! :D t.

OSUdoc08 said:
The parent's income CANNOT be considered by FAFSA for aid consideration, so it really doesn't matter whether or not if you put the information on there.

There are some schools that offer aid based on parent's info. Check with your school to see if they do.

If it cannot be considered then why do they REQUIRE it? From reading the excerpt it looks like we MUST put parental info even if we are independent. Which sucks in my opinion. Can anyone clarify this?

taken from the FAFSA site:

If the student is applying for federal student aid for graduate programs authorized under Title VII of the Public Health Service Act, he or she must give information about his or her parents, even if the student answered Yes to one of the questions in the Student Status section and was therefore determined to be an independent student. If the student is unsure whether his or her course of study is considered a graduate health profession program, the student should contact the schools financial aid office. If the school requires parental information, the student should complete the parental portions of the FAFSA.

A parental signature is not required for independent health profession students providing parental information.

I didn't include any of my parents' info. Got the full amount of loans every year.

ecoscuba said:
If it cannot be considered then why do they REQUIRE it? From reading the excerpt it looks like we MUST put parental info even if we are independent. Which sucks in my opinion. Can anyone clarify this?

taken from the FAFSA site:

If the student is applying for federal student aid for graduate programs authorized under Title VII of the Public Health Service Act, he or she must give information about his or her parents, even if the student answered Yes to one of the questions in the Student Status section and was therefore determined to be an independent student. If the student is unsure whether his or her course of study is considered a graduate health profession program, the student should contact the schools financial aid office. If the school requires parental information, the student should complete the parental portions of the FAFSA.

A parental signature is not required for independent health profession students providing parental information.

I'm sorry, but it isn't required. I've never included that information, and I recieve all of my loans.