Filling out the FAFSA for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amirr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the first of the year here it's time to start filling out the FAFSA again. If you're still in the process though do you simply add all the schools you may get acceptances from?

Members don't see this ad.

You can include up to ten potential schools on the on-line form. Is that enough?

I'm not the OP, but it wouldn't be for me...hoping people chime in more here with tips about the FAFSA, I'm kinda confused about the whole thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can include up to ten potential schools on the on-line form. Is that enough?

If I'm only including schools who I've heard something positive back from so far then yes it's enough.

Can you change the schools you have added if necessary?

I have a question related to FAFSA.
I file my taxes as an independent, do I need to provide information regarding my parents's income?

I am 24 years of age.

I've recently started the FAFSA online and I have a million questions. I think you can usually call the med school's financial aid office and they'll help you out - I'm probably gonna do that next week. Mine keeps asking me all these questions assuming I'm going to be starting college and not med school...it's confusing the heck out of me.

If you think the FAFSA is confusing, wait until you go to complete the Need Access application for financial aid. That thing is an absolute beast. I recall the FAFSA application to be pretty poorly designed though. Once you have your FAFSA submitted/processed, you can add additional schools. I'm not quite sure why you would need to send it to more than 10 schools...

Reactions: 1 user
If you think the FAFSA is confusing, wait until you go to complete the Need Access application for financial aid. That thing is an absolute beast. I recall the FAFSA application to be pretty poorly designed though. Once you have your FAFSA submitted/processed, you can add additional schools. I'm not quite sure why you would need to send it to more than 10 schools...

If you have more than 10 acceptances or pending decisions? I'd wait but I've also been told I should fill it out ASAP, even before I have my taxes filed.

If you have more than 10 acceptances or pending decisions? I'd wait but I've also been told I should fill it out ASAP, even before I have my taxes filed.

I filled out my FAFSA around February when the dust had started to settle and I had a clearer picture of the schools that I was deciding between, but I guess that may be late by SDN standards. Then again, I was pretty much deciding between non-rolling schools at that point.

Evidently, you can only list 10 schools at any one time. But you can easily amend that school list. So my advice would be to fill out the form only for the schools that you currently hold acceptances at. You can add additional schools as you get accepted, and can bump schools from the list if you decide not to attend. In my mind, if you are holding acceptances at >10 schools then you can start to whittle your list down...

http://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/next-steps/correct-update

I didn't fill out FAFSA until early April, it's not necessary to do it right away.

I have a question related to FAFSA.
I file my taxes as an independent, do I need to provide information regarding my parents's income?

I am 24 years of age.

You should still include parental information. Most schools will require parent information in order to be considered for need-based scholarships. I know it doesn't make sense if you're financially independent, but there's an assumption that parents would be inclined to help their children financially if necessary and possible.

parent information in order to be considered for need-based scholarships. I know it doesn't make sense if you're financially independent, but there's an assumption that parents would be inclined to help their children financially if necessary and possible.

I was under the impression that I was considered independent for graduate school purposes. Are you telling me that I still won't be able to receive need based scholarships if my parents income falls outside of that range?

:bang::annoyed::rage:

Edit: Looks like the Fafsa page has crashed from all the traffic. Guess I'll take care of it tomorrow or Friday.

I was under the impression that I was considered independent for graduate school purposes. Are you telling me that I still won't be able to receive need based scholarships if my parents income falls outside of that range?

Not saying you won't receive it. It will vary by school, though. Maybe some schools don't require you to have parental info in order to be considered for need-based aid. In my personal experience, need based funding was actually more generous at the med school level than at undergrad (I attended the same institution for undergrad). My dad makes enough money that I didn't receive any need based aid for undergrad, but I got a small need-based grant for med school. Doesn't matter to the school that I'm the one paying my tuition.

Not saying you won't receive it. It will vary by school, though. Maybe some schools don't require you to have parental info in order to be considered for need-based aid. In my personal experience, need based funding was actually more generous at the med school level than at undergrad (I attended the same institution for undergrad). My dad makes enough money that I didn't receive any need based aid for undergrad, but I got a small need-based grant for med school. Doesn't matter to the school that I'm the one paying my tuition.
Do you still have to list parent info if you are married? I feel like my parent's income will disqualify me from anything need-based.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having trouble with the FAFSA webpage? It keeps giving me an error every once in a while that tells me to clear my cache. I've cleared it and the problem keeps coming back. I tried to talk to a representative and they keep telling me to clear my cache also. Any other suggestions?

Do you still have to list parent info if you are married? I feel like my parent's income will disqualify me from anything need-based.

I believe so. May vary by school though.

"Parent information is typically required by medical schools for students who wish to be considered for institutional financial aid (aid given by the medical school) even though an applicant is considered independent for purposes of federal loans."
https://www.aamc.org/services/first...ial_aid_application_process.html#.UsSdw2RDuHY

Anyone else having trouble with the FAFSA webpage? It keeps giving me an error every once in a while that tells me to clear my cache. I've cleared it and the problem keeps coming back. I tried to talk to a representative and they keep telling me to clear my cache also. Any other suggestions?

yeah I think the website is having some problems. I tried completing the form for a while, but every now and then the error page would come up. I'd wait a bit, go back to the home page and log in... but soon enough the error page would come up again. I'll try again tomorrow.

Same thing here....I'm just gonna give up for now. I can do it later.

Check with each individual school. Some that I have interviewed at have explicitly said that married applicants will not need to include anything about their parent's income.

yeah I think the website is having some problems. I tried completing the form for a while, but every now and then the error page would come up. I'd wait a bit, go back to the home page and log in... but soon enough the error page would come up again. I'll try again tomorrow.
Same thing here....I'm just gonna give up for now. I can do it later.

Whew! I thought I was the only one having this problem. What makes it worst is that the representatives I talk to keep talking to me like I have no computer experience whatsoever. I guess I'll try the website again tomorrow or something. Thanks guys.

Whew! I thought I was the only one having this problem. What makes it worst is that the representatives I talk to keep talking to me like I have no computer experience whatsoever. I guess I'll try the website again tomorrow or something. Thanks guys.

My guess is that either a) too many people are trying to fill it out today or b) since it just went live it has bugs. Not an problem....just try again later :)

How the hell are people filling the FAFSA out without taxes/W2's?

How the hell are people filling the FAFSA out without taxes/W2's?
straight from their website (is how):
What if I (or my parents) haven’t completed taxes yet?
If you or your parents have not completed your taxes yet, you can estimate your income and other tax return information, and then correct your application after you have filed your taxes.

When estimating your tax return information, you should indicate that you will fileyour taxes. If your 2013 income is similar to your 2012 income, use your 2012 tax return to provide estimates for questions about your income. If your income is not similar, use the Income Estimator for assistance estimating your adjusted gross income, and answer the remaining questions about your income to the best of your ability.

You must return to update the estimates you provided with your 2013 tax return information once you file. To update your estimates, click Make FAFSA Corrections after logging in to FAFSA on the Web. Navigate to the “Finances” section and indicate that you have already completed your taxes. If your tax return information is available and if you are eligible to do so, you should use theIRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax return information into your application.

straight from their website (is how):
What if I (or my parents) haven’t completed taxes yet?
If you or your parents have not completed your taxes yet, you can estimate your income and other tax return information, and then correct your application after you have filed your taxes.

When estimating your tax return information, you should indicate that you will fileyour taxes. If your 2013 income is similar to your 2012 income, use your 2012 tax return to provide estimates for questions about your income. If your income is not similar, use the Income Estimator for assistance estimating your adjusted gross income, and answer the remaining questions about your income to the best of your ability.

You must return to update the estimates you provided with your 2013 tax return information once you file. To update your estimates, click Make FAFSA Corrections after logging in to FAFSA on the Web. Navigate to the “Finances” section and indicate that you have already completed your taxes. If your tax return information is available and if you are eligible to do so, you should use theIRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax return information into your application.
So there's basically no point in doing it now, since you'll have to return with the full information later. Although I guess starting it now wouldn't hurt.

two quick questions,

When they mention undergrad/ college it is replaceable with medical school correct?

Additionally, for medical schools that are also associated with an undergrad or other educational institution (aka Boston University, Drexel, ect.) there isn't a code specifically for the medical school?

Thanks!

two quick questions,

When they mention undergrad/ college it is replaceable with medical school correct?

Additionally, for medical schools that are also associated with an undergrad or other educational institution (aka Boston University, Drexel, ect.) there isn't a code specifically for the medical school?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about selecting a school/entering the school code.... Case Western seems to have it's own code for the medical school, but none of the other schools I searched for had this... so I just selected the main university.

Also, does anyone know if we should include ourselves when it asks for number of household members in college for '14/15?

I'm not the OP, but it wouldn't be for me...hoping people chime in more here with tips about the FAFSA, I'm kinda confused about the whole thing.

You can list 10 initially and once your FAFSA gets processed, you can replace those 10 with your remaining schools and submit it a second time to get processed.

Keep in mind that most schools will send you specific financial aid instructions later, including specific instruction on filling out FAFSA, especially the school codes. One of my schools asked that you entered both the medical school and the undergraduate school code, taking up 2 slots. Some schools only use the undergrad code for all purposes. Starting it now won't hurt, but honestly you can just wait a couple months to make sure everything is correct.

Keep in mind that most schools will send you specific financial aid instructions later, including specific instruction on filling out FAFSA, especially the school codes. One of my schools asked that you entered both the medical school and the undergraduate school code, taking up 2 slots. Some schools only use the undergrad code for all purposes. Starting it now won't hurt, but honestly you can just wait a couple months to make sure everything is correct.

Thanks for all the info. But is there an advantage to submitting it sooner rather than later (both before the deadline, of course)? I remember a few people at interviews telling us to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. I'd rather take your advice and wait to hear from the schools, though.

Look at the "help and hints" bar on the right side of the screen. It says to include yourself.
:)

Thanks for all the info. But is there an advantage to submitting it sooner rather than later (both before the deadline, of course)? I remember a few people at interviews telling us to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. I'd rather take your advice and wait to hear from the schools, though.

:)

Some schools (UMich, for example) do not want you to fill out estimated information, they want you to wait until you have filed taxes before filling it out. I don't know of any specific reasons why you need to submit FAFSA in Jan/Feb, but maybe some schools suggest it for some reason.

Some schools (UMich, for example) do not want you to fill out estimated information, they want you to wait until you have filed taxes before filling it out. I don't know of any specific reasons why you need to submit FAFSA in Jan/Feb, but maybe some schools suggest it for some reason.

Oh, I see. I'll probably just wait to hear from schools regarding financial aid applications then. Thank you for being so helpful!!

Edit: Looks like the Fafsa page has crashed from all the traffic. Guess I'll take care of it tomorrow or Friday.
Like everyone else has said, it varies by school. My med school requires parental info for institutional (school) scholarships or loans, regardless of age or marital status. This is what it says on their web page for financial aid:

"Students who are considered independent for Federal financial aid purposes must provide parent data in order to be considered for Institutional funding. Providing parent data will not, and cannot, be used to calculate or change your eligibility for Title IV Federal financial aid."

I heard schools say the same thing about filling them out ASAP - and that was 4 months ago. I'm not sure why they say that, but I thought it was because they needed that info for when you applied for scholarships from the school, which in my case are due in March I think.