Film Studies to Medicine - yes, I know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reznor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I recently decided to pursue medicine after years of pushing from relatives and peers (especially my twin sister, who is going to medical school this year.) Before my decision I've always been the creative type, and I'm currently finishing my BA in film studies. Most of my work dealt with body horror and the representation of the body itself....so I guess it was only natural when one morning I woke up, and was like: "hey, I can do medicine and film if I wanted to."

I also was quite tired of not receiving constant answers or fulfilment in the creative field, which was dampening my day to day mood (when my sister complains about her work in biochem, i always mention how at least she has an answer key somewhere!!).

I'm planning to go to NYU's post-bacc program once I'm done with my BA. :) I just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same position - film studies to medicine! - and what medical schools think of this. It certainly is a weird jump, at least to my sister (who majored in something more traditional....like biochemistry). Thanks! Great to be on this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that weird. In my class there were plenty of arts majors and even a guy who trained in Opera at Julliard who sang at our graduation. Be sure to use your background in your personal statement. It was get you remembered along the application trail

Being a film buff, and having helped a close friend make a film (eons ago), all I can say is that you'll make for some great interviews! My friend got his degree from Brooklyn College, and they were always jealous of the NYU film students.

I have wonderful clinician colleagues who were English and Drama majors, so don't sweat the career change stuff.

Not, biochemists do NOT have the answer key...that's what they and other scientists are constantly trying to find!

Hi, I'm new here. I recently decided to pursue medicine after years of pushing from relatives and peers (especially my twin sister, who is going to medical school this year.) Before my decision I've always been the creative type, and I'm currently finishing my BA in film studies. Most of my work dealt with body horror and the representation of the body itself....so I guess it was only natural when one morning I woke up, and was like: "hey, I can do medicine and film if I wanted to."

I also was quite tired of not receiving constant answers or fulfilment in the creative field, which was dampening my day to day mood (when my sister complains about her work in biochem, i always mention how at least she has an answer key somewhere!!).

I'm planning to go to NYU's post-bacc program once I'm done with my BA. :) I just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same position - film studies to medicine! - and what medical schools think of this. It certainly is a weird jump, at least to my sister (who majored in something more traditional....like biochemistry). Thanks! Great to be on this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a film major as well, graduating next year and planning on doing a post-bacc right after or the following year. I have a lot of family members who work in health care too and they've always tried to get me to go into nursing, but never medicine because of the debt. I'm now giving medicine more consideration since I've always been curious about it as a patient, and film production has been fun but not very rewarding for me (especially as part of the technical crew, not being able to make many decisions).

Hi, I'm new here. I recently decided to pursue medicine after years of pushing from relatives and peers (especially my twin sister, who is going to medical school this year.) Most of my work dealt with body horror and the representation of the body itself....so I guess it was only natural when one morning I woke up, and was like: "hey, I can do medicine and film if I wanted to."

You better cook up some better reasons for wanting to be a doc than just family pressure and a morning serendipity. Once you find them, as long as your stats measure up you'll be just fine come application time.

I'm in exactly your position!

I did film studies 2002-2006 (ugrad) and now I am doing a post bacc.

I can't speak for NYU's post bacc, but you are in for an experience jumping from something something like film to science. I've been out of school for 7 years and I jumped into a post bacc at one of the nations most rigorous science programs, and it has been upsetting, amazing, humbling and an education all at the same time.

As an art major I was a perfectionist (I was also a perfectionist in my work) and being able to accept my best as "being enough" has been hard. My best doesn't always equate to an A (only 10% of people get A's in my classes). I am studying up to 17 hours a day in an intensive summer session, it's nuts. It's hard.

Getting your head in the right place is just as important as studying enough. If you study enough but you freak out during exams you will have a problem. This is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done, but I hope it will be worth it in the end.