fin. aid at dental school... just loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikhiel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is the only kind of financial aid you get at dental school loans? I'm currently living off of financial aid as an undergrad, and it's all grants and tuition exemption, I've only had to have 1 small loan. Can you still qualify for grants at the professional school level? Are any schools really good about giving out need-based and/or merit-based scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

Mostly scholarships if you dont choose to take out loans.
It is likely that you have to take out loans for your education.

Originally posted by mikhiel
is the only kind of financial aid you get at dental school loans? I'm currently living off of financial aid as an undergrad, and it's all grants and tuition exemption, I've only had to have 1 small loan. Can you still qualify for grants at the professional school level? Are any schools really good about giving out need-based and/or merit-based scholarships?
Yes, a limited number of scholarships and grants are given out, but the overwhelming majority of students finance their professional educations with loans. Considering the income prospects we have when we get out of school, we'll probably keep doing it that way for the foreseeable future.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I was pretty sure I'd need to take out loans, but wanted to see if I'd have to take out 100% of my tuition and fees in loans. Good to know there are a few scholarship and grant opportunities. Thanks, everyone!

Not just tuition and fees-- Most dental students have to take out loans that covers tuition, fees AND living expenses.

Sizeable scholarships (anything above $25,000) are not easy to come by in dental school.

HTH.

Originally posted by Aaronpsr
Even if the EFC is $0?
That applies to a lot of us. Unless you have a spouse with an income, your EFC is likely to be $0 since we're considered independent students.