• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

mikhiel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
is the only kind of financial aid you get at dental school loans? I'm currently living off of financial aid as an undergrad, and it's all grants and tuition exemption, I've only had to have 1 small loan. Can you still qualify for grants at the professional school level? Are any schools really good about giving out need-based and/or merit-based scholarships?

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Status (Visible)
Mostly scholarships if you dont choose to take out loans.
It is likely that you have to take out loans for your education.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Originally posted by mikhiel
is the only kind of financial aid you get at dental school loans? I'm currently living off of financial aid as an undergrad, and it's all grants and tuition exemption, I've only had to have 1 small loan. Can you still qualify for grants at the professional school level? Are any schools really good about giving out need-based and/or merit-based scholarships?
Yes, a limited number of scholarships and grants are given out, but the overwhelming majority of students finance their professional educations with loans. Considering the income prospects we have when we get out of school, we'll probably keep doing it that way for the foreseeable future.

About the Ads

mikhiel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
well, I was pretty sure I'd need to take out loans, but wanted to see if I'd have to take out 100% of my tuition and fees in loans. Good to know there are a few scholarship and grant opportunities. Thanks, everyone!

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status (Visible)
Not just tuition and fees-- Most dental students have to take out loans that covers tuition, fees AND living expenses.

Sizeable scholarships (anything above $25,000) are not easy to come by in dental school.

HTH.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Originally posted by Aaronpsr
Even if the EFC is $0?
That applies to a lot of us. Unless you have a spouse with an income, your EFC is likely to be $0 since we're considered independent students.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.