This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello, all! I am new to SDN, but I have been reading threads for the last few months, and everyone has such great insights!

I'm currently studying for the DAT, and I am taking it on August 24th. I have been studying most of the summer for it, every day, for at least 2-3 hours. The only resource I purchased is DAT Destroyer, which I completed and have reviewed multiple times. I have been using the free DAT Bootcamp tests, notes, and generators and took a stab at the 2007 DAT.

I don't really take my scores that seriously as there is nothing more reflective of my real score than how I perform on the actual test.

For each of the sections, this is how I am preparing:

BIO
-Downloaded Cliff's AP Bio for free and have read through the entire thing. I have since moved onto the notes on DAT Bootcamp, and I finished the destroyer section. I took AP Bio in high school, and I remember much of the materials. I took anatomy in HS as well, and it is all coming back as I study. I'm not super concerned about Bio currently.

GEN CHEM
I thought destroyer was overkill, so I'm just watching youtube videos about the general concepts and looking over the formulas. I was a student instructor for gen chem last year, so I'm not overly concerned. However, I'm slightly worried about the rigor of the depth/application of the concepts on the test. Any insights?

OCHEM
Just finished this class last semester, and I feel it is pretty fresh in my mind still. I definitely feel comfortable with all the reactions (memorized Bootcamp notes and Destroyer roadmaps). I'm also strong in NMR and IR spectroscopy. I'm a little fuzzy on some of the stereochem, but I've been brushing up. Is the DAT ochem section more conceptual or reaction oriented?

RC
I've always been a slow reader, but I have been reading Scientific American Articles everyday, and I definitely have improved. I'm just gonna do my best on this section.

QR
I'm not that concerned about this section. I was also a calculus student instructor, and I love math! I went through MATH destroyer. It was dense, but it is definitely worth investing in and reviewing.

PAT

The only part of the PAT I'm worried about is angle ranking, but it just takes practice. I have TFE, Pattern Folding, and Hole Punching nailed down. I also have CDP for cube counting and keyholes, but I usually do well on those. My only questions for the PAT are: is keyhole easier or harder than bootcamp (I find bootcamp test 1 to be a pain)? And are angles on the real DAT easier than bootcamp?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

highly recommend you pick up Romano's notes- you can download them on the facebook group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the guidance! I just joined. I feel comfortable with bio using Bootcamp notes, but I will definitely check out the resources on FB! What was your experience with the chemistries on the DAT? Specifically, was gen chem mainly basic concepts or calculation heavy? As for ochem, was it mainly memorizing reactions or more applying knowledge?

most of them were very basic. the most calculation heavy problem was about density vs ideal gas law.

You still want to expose yourself to as many problems as possible and even go through gc destroyer at least twice(I went over it again the day before and it came in clutch for like 1-2 questions).

most of them were very basic. the most calculation heavy problem was about density vs ideal gas law.

You still want to expose yourself to as many problems as possible and even go through gc destroyer at least twice(I went over it again the day before and it came in clutch for like 1-2 questions).
So gen chem was basic concepts and ochem was just reactions from roadmaps and maybe some NMR/IR?

I would review roadmaps periodically, also I would do OC destroyer but the real thing will be way more simple

A word of warning, there are many versions of the DAT and they are not all the same. So it is wise to overprepare because you just don't know what the DAT Beast will throw at you. You have gone through the Destroyer multiple times that is a good thing and you are also working on your reading which you know might be a challenge, sounds like math will be a breeze for you. I like your plan and you have several weeks left to tie up any loose ends. Join our study group and you will find the Free Bio notes and more.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

A word of warning, there are many versions of the DAT and they are not all the same. So it is wise to overprepare because you just don't know what the DAT Beast will throw at you. You have gone through the Destroyer multiple times that is a good thing and you are also working on your reading which you know might be a challenge, sounds like math will be a breeze for you. I like your plan and you have several weeks left to tie up any loose ends. Join our study group and you will find the Free Bio notes and more.

I just joined the FB group, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user