Final Decision of College Undergrad Choice?

Thatch22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So awhile ago I posted on here about my college selection of either Iowa or Iowa state university for pre med. Since then I have had some stressful nights thinking about my future. Isu has has offered me 8200 in scholarships and Iowa 2000. I live in state so the tuition is nearly the same. Iowa has top rated medical and research facilities and staff. Iowa state is 2 hours closernand is cheaper. My grandfather is even offereing to match my scholarship amounts if I attend Iowa state (my family are hardcore cyclone fans and it would Kill them inside to see me become a hawkeye haha) I am not entirely certain on med school, pa school also looks good to me as well. I enjoyed iowas campus and diversity more than Iowa States along with its general feel and sports. I feel like this campus is full of farmers and people just like my small hometown. Do you think paying that much more money to attend Iowa would be worth it?

What I enjoyed about Iowa was the scenery, river, proximity of downtown, close classes, gender ratio (more guys than girls at ISU is a disadvantage for me haha) and longer distance from most kids homes making it so peopl dont just go home on the weekends, and the friendliness of it.

I think some of it may be that I just want to be different from the family and stand out and be different from them? Only 3 days until the deadline. I want to major in either Biochemistry, Biology, or Biological/Biomed systems engineering as a backup in case I chane my mind (and that area interests me). It is not that I hate ISU or anything I just cannot get the peace of mind that I made the right decision because I keep just getting that feeling that I will miss out on oppurtunities. Everyone's comments are greatly apreciated
smile.gif;wa0f599d63a8dcebe8

Members don't see this ad.

If you were looking at the dilemma in a strictly financial and logistical point of view, then Iowa State is the clear winner. I'd also add that despite a school's medical school reputation, going there doesn't guarantee any special favor or advantage in getting into their medical school. Perhaps that's not true of Iowa, there's always exceptions and examples that defy one perception or rule.

99% of the time I would say, go with the most affordable option for undergrad, even if it isn't prestigious, or in a wonderful or unique location, because undergrad to me at least, is simply a check box for going on to your graduate/professional school; how well you do in your classes (GPA), on entrance exams (MCAT, etc), and your ECs are what's going to mostly decide whether you get that invitation to interview somewhere.

There seem to be two forces working against you attending the cold logical option: your family pressuring you (even using bribes! :laugh:), and an array of lifestyle/social fairly non-academic reasons for attending Iowa. From the perspective of a young man/woman filled with budding hopes and dream and the pursuit of a perceived happiness, I would say go with what you really want inside (which is obviously Iowa), regardless of any financial or family problems, or possibly deleterious distractions that may come. From the perspective of someone who's paid off student loans, lived far from home, and can apply to a young person in his hindsight a modicum of life experience, Iowa State would be the recommendation.

I have two questions for you. How much more debt will you incur over 4 years at Iowa versus Iowa State? If you were to attend Iowa State, and decided you were miserable, would you be able to transfer to Iowa in some way, even if it meant it set you back a semester time-wise (really not a big deal if that's the case)? I won't speculate as to your answers, but if you can provide them, I'd feel better about giving a more definitive opinion.

Yes Kahr! that family pressure is very great from some people though they say they are just joking hahah ;) It is mostly the social lifestyle one I am wanting instead. Thank you very much for this comment I love the advice of people that have already experienced something.
I am fortuante enough to have a very smart father who started saving money for my college before I was even thought of! He is a mech Engineer out of Iowa State. The amount of debt at Iowa by including scholarships compared to ISU's with scholarships would likely be around 10-15k more. Game changer?
No I do not believe I would be set back if I decided to transfer as my major will likely be biochem/Bio instead of Biological engineering like I first thought, I never thought of this option!!! Both being from the same state the general science courses are very similar but I assumed the ones at Iowa would be superior because of a renowned medical and research staff.
Thank you for your comments they are greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes Kahr! that family pressure is very great from some people though they say they are just joking hahah ;) It is mostly the social lifestyle one I am wanting instead. Thank you very much for this comment I love the advice of people that have already experienced something.

Well, there's nothing wrong with that, so long as you also take your studies seriously, a bad start can hurt you significantly in the long run, especially if you bomb some pre-reqs and end up having to re-take them, or don't and then they just look bad to admissions committees. Bottom line, kick ass on those sciences, especially the pre-req courses (gen chem, bio, etc).

I am fortuante enough to have a very smart father who started saving money for my college before I was even thought of! He is a mech Engineer out of Iowa State. The amount of debt at Iowa by including scholarships compared to ISU's with scholarships would likely be around 10-15k more. Game changer?

Wonderful, and no, not a game changer, that difference is definitely not worth sweating. Though you might keep in mind the money your grandfather said he'd throw in, still not a big deal though.

No I do not believe I would be set back if I decided to transfer as my major will likely be biochem/Bio instead of Biological engineering like I first thought, I never thought of this option!!! Both being from the same state the general science courses are very similar but I assumed the ones at Iowa would be superior because of a renowned medical and research staff.
Thank you for your comments they are greatly appreciated :)

Looks like you've got your options figured out well. I honestly don't know how things work at Iowa, but I just wouldn't assume the medical school's staff would be involved with the undergraduate students. It may be that you'd have plenty of opportunities with them, or they might be completely separated and offer nothing. This is something you'll have to look into yourself.

Which every decision you make, go with it without regrets and do your best. Hopefully in a few years you'll be in the pre-(med?) section offering advice to others, and/or gearing up for admissions. ;)

So awhile ago I posted on here about my college selection of either Iowa or Iowa state university for pre med. Since then I have had some stressful nights thinking about my future. Isu has has offered me 8200 in scholarships and Iowa 2000. I live in state so the tuition is nearly the same. Iowa has top rated medical and research facilities and staff. Iowa state is 2 hours closernand is cheaper. My grandfather is even offereing to match my scholarship amounts if I attend Iowa state (my family are hardcore cyclone fans and it would Kill them inside to see me become a hawkeye haha) I am not entirely certain on med school, pa school also looks good to me as well. I enjoyed iowas campus and diversity more than Iowa States along with its general feel and sports. I feel like this campus is full of farmers and people just like my small hometown. Do you think paying that much more money to attend Iowa would be worth it?

What I enjoyed about Iowa was the scenery, river, proximity of downtown, close classes, gender ratio (more guys than girls at ISU is a disadvantage for me haha) and longer distance from most kids homes making it so peopl dont just go home on the weekends, and the friendliness of it.

I think some of it may be that I just want to be different from the family and stand out and be different from them? Only 3 days until the deadline. I want to major in either Biochemistry, Biology, or Biological/Biomed systems engineering as a backup in case I chane my mind (and that area interests me). It is not that I hate ISU or anything I just cannot get the peace of mind that I made the right decision because I keep just getting that feeling that I will miss out on oppurtunities. Everyone's comments are greatly apreciated
smile.gif;wa0f599d63a8dcebe8

Biochemistry! Best major! If you happen to not get into medical school Biochem is really good for employment. Plus medical schools like the bio-chem mix.