Final List Help - ~3.8/520, Good EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Block8

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to submit my AMCAS primaries tomorrow, and I was hoping you could help me with my school list! I've used SDN (WAMC threads etc.) and MSAR to build this list, and I need critiques. I am hoping to apply to 20 schools. I just graduated from a mid/high-tier research-focused university. I am an Ohio resident and I am white. I have ~250 clinical volunteering hours (including projected) and ~220 non-clinical volunteering hours (including projected.) During my junior and senior year I was part of a research group for about 18 months, during which I completed ~650 hours of work, with unfortunately no papers published. I did sports for 2.5 years of college too, which is on my app to prove I'm not a robot. I have other things but these are the main relevant details. I have 5 LOR's: 3 science, 1 non-science, 1 PI. They will all be strong.

I should mention: I am a re-applicant who (due to poor advisement and no knowledge of SDN) applied to only 10 schools last year with what was, looking back, a poor school list. I received 2 interviews and remain on the WL at both, but I am not holding out hope.

The things I have changed from last year are much greater longevity in volunteering (started two activities months prior to submitting AMCAS last year, maybe seemed disingenuous), starting a scribe job which I intend to update schools on as the app cycle progresses, and WAY better essays. I got super cocky last year due to high stats and re-reading my essays made me cringe hard. According to the people I have talked to (including an AdCom that didn't interview me and various people on Reddit/SDN), I should not need to wait a year to secure an acceptance, so I am just gonna send this better, longer list and pray that someone wants the new me, who is better experienced and infinitely more aware of (and better at showing) why medicine is my calling.

With all that said:
OH Resident, Gap-yearing, ORM - MD School List 2019-2020 (in no particular order)

1. Ohio State
2. Case Western
3. Emory
4. Cincinnati

[5. Toledo] - b/c in-state
[6. Wright State] - b/c in-state
[7. NEOMED] - b/c in-state

8. Boston U
9. Mount Sinai
10. Western Michigan
11. Pitt
12. Rochester
13. SLU
14. USC
15. UVA
16. Vermont
17. Tufts
18. Iowa
19. Hofstra
20. Jefferson
21. Cornell

(22. Columbia) - Reach
(23. Penn) - Reach

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rock star! List will follow.

I am a little slow at times, so my apologies if this is a dumb question: when you say 'will follow' do you mean the list is good as-is, or your analysis of the list is forthcoming? Thanks @Goro :)

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to submit my AMCAS primaries tomorrow, and I was hoping you could help me with my school list! I've used SDN (WAMC threads etc.) and MSAR to build this list, and I need critiques. I am hoping to apply to 20 schools. I just graduated from a mid/high-tier research-focused university. I am an Ohio resident and I am white. I have ~250 clinical volunteering hours (including projected) and ~220 non-clinical volunteering hours (including projected.) During my junior and senior year I was part of a research group for about 18 months, during which I completed ~650 hours of work, with unfortunately no papers published. I did sports for 2.5 years of college too, which is on my app to prove I'm not a robot. I have other things but these are the main relevant details. I have 5 LOR's: 3 science, 1 non-science, 1 PI. They will all be strong.

I should mention: I am a re-applicant who (due to poor advisement and no knowledge of SDN) applied to only 10 schools last year with what was, looking back, a poor school list. I received 2 interviews and remain on the WL at both, but I am not holding out hope.

The things I have changed from last year are much greater longevity in volunteering (started two activities months prior to submitting AMCAS last year, maybe seemed disingenuous), starting a scribe job which I intend to update schools on as the app cycle progresses, and WAY better essays. I got super cocky last year due to high stats and re-reading my essays made me cringe hard. According to the people I have talked to (including an AdCom that didn't interview me and various people on Reddit/SDN), I should not need to wait a year to secure an acceptance, so I am just gonna send this better, longer list and pray that someone wants the new me, who is better experienced and infinitely more aware of (and better at showing) why medicine is my calling.

With all that said:
OH Resident, Gap-yearing, ORM - MD School List 2019-2020 (in no particular order)

1. Ohio State
2. Case Western
3. Emory
4. Cincinnati

[5. Toledo] - b/c in-state
[6. Wright State] - b/c in-state
[7. NEOMED] - b/c in-state

8. Boston U
9. Mount Sinai
10. Western Michigan
11. Pitt
12. Rochester
13. SLU
14. USC
15. UVA
16. Vermont
17. Tufts
18. Iowa
19. Hofstra
20. Jefferson
21. Cornell

(22. Columbia) - Reach
(23. Penn) - Reach
As promised.

For you, no school is a reach.

I suggest:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
UCLA,
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Pitt
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
ALl OH schools, including Case

@Goro: projected hours mean little. If OP has only 80 hours of clinical and nonclinical volunteering, for example, might that be a little thin for the likes of Harvard or NYU? @Block8: how many completed hours will you have when you submit AMCAS?

@Goro: isn't that a little light for the top-20 schools that are on OP's list? Also, OP is a reapplicant; might this raise some red flags?