Final Move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After finishing up your HPSP commitment, does the military pay for your final move (away from your last place of duty) ?

Members don't see this ad.

They pay to send you back home, or someplace closer. I'm not sure what happens if you want to go farther, maybe they pay their portion and you get a bill for the rest?

--
Il Destriero

They pay for you to go to your home of record in the cheapest way possible. If you want to go farther or in a more expensive way, you pay the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...they pay to move you to your home of record. But the truth is that most of the cost related to a move isn't the travel...it's the loading and unloading (which is about the same wherever you are moving). I was stationed in FL. My home of record was about 5 hours away in FL. I was moving to MN. It cost me roughly $2000 to pay for the difference...and that's with a ton of furniture. I got about $600 on a partial DITY...so I ultimately spent about $1400 on a move from FL to MN. Not bad at all.

Reactions: 1 user
They will pay for the distance between where you are currently stationed and your home of record. Moving further means you pay out of pocket and moving closer is free. For example, if you are stationed at Fort Drum (New York) and your home of record is in Los Angeles, then you can pretty much choose any CONUS city and military will pay. If you are stationed at Fort Drum and your home of record is in Albany, NY and you want to move to Los Angeles... then be prepared to fork over some major cash.