Final school list: 3.83 GPA, 38 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vintjs2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, my application's pretty much done and I just need to finalize my list of schools now. Currently, I feel like it is very top heavy and I was wondering if there are any schools I should definitely remove or add. My stats are as follow:

3.83 cGPA
3.75 sGPA
38 MCAT
VA resident

3 yrs research (~1900 hours), no pubs/presentations
3 yrs hospital volunteering (~300 hours)
25 hrs shadowing
~100 hrs other volunteering
Some small leadership positions
Hobbies here and there

This is my list of schools:

Reach
Baylor
Columbia
UCLA
Duke
Harvard
Hopkins
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Northwestern
UPenn
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

Match
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Emory
Georgetown
USC
UNC
UPitt
UVA

Safety
EVMS
Maryland
VCU

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good! Good luck!

Ok guys, my application's pretty much done and I just need to finalize my list of schools now. Currently, I feel like it is very top heavy and I was wondering if there are any schools I should definitely remove or add. My stats are as follow:

3.83 cGPA
3.75 sGPA
38 MCAT
VA resident

3 yrs research (~1900 hours), no pubs/presentations
3 yrs hospital volunteering (~300 hours)
25 hrs shadowing
~100 hrs other volunteering
Some small leadership positions
Hobbies here and there

This is my list of schools:

Reach
Baylor
Columbia
UCLA
Duke
Harvard
Hopkins
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Northwestern
UPenn
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

Match
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Emory
Georgetown
USC
UNC
UPitt
UVA

Safety
EVMS
Maryland
VCU

Wow, lots of reaches :D

Looks good OP, you're in for quite a ride! Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was wondering if anyone thought my list of safeties was too short or if any of the schools I listed as match are actually reach schools for me. Also, this would be a lot of secondaries to write, so if there are any schools I should definitely remove, I'd like to do so.

Maryland's out of state percentage isn't the best, but you have very solid stats in comparison to their medians.

Yeah, definitely agree with you there. I left them on my list because it's closer to home, but it's a tough call.

I think you should add 2-3 more safetys just in case.
Add drexel/jefferson/Albany or something like that

I think you should add 2-3 more safetys just in case.
Add drexel/jefferson/Albany or something like that

I would also suggest adding a few more match schools because although your numbers would be competitive at the top schools most of those schools also look for unique individuals with stronger ecs.

I would also suggest adding a few more match schools because although your numbers would be competitive at the top schools most of those schools also look for unique individuals with stronger ecs.

I've had a difficult time finding "match" schools in terms of stats because it seems like most schools either have an in-state preference or averages that are a bit below my stats.

Also, I was looking at your application because it's similar to mine, at least stat-wise. If you don't mind my asking, what do you think set you apart from other applicants when you were going through the application process? Congratulations on Mayo btw!

I've had a difficult time finding "match" schools in terms of stats because it seems like most schools either have an in-state preference or averages that are a bit below my stats.

Also, I was looking at your application because it's similar to mine, at least stat-wise. If you don't mind my asking, what do you think set you apart from other applicants when you were going through the application process? Congratulations on Mayo btw!

Matches mean mid tier schools, at some point no matter how high your stats are, mid tiers are still the match because of the irregularity and gamble with top tier admissions.

NYU
Tufts (expensive though)
Ohio State
Boston
Rochester

etc

Got you, thanks for the clarification.

I already have NYU up there; I personally thought it was more of a reach school for me though. Had the same concern as you about Tufts, the price tag is a bit high haha. Haven't looked at Ohio or Rochester, but the number of apps Boston gets each year was a bit concerning for me.

Got you, thanks for the clarification.

I already have NYU up there; I personally thought it was more of a reach school for me though. Had the same concern as you about Tufts, the price tag is a bit high haha. Haven't looked at Ohio or Rochester, but the number of apps Boston gets each year was a bit concerning for me.

You have amazing stats Honestly, any school is a possibility for you, you just want to make sure you have a lot of mid tier/low tier just in case your EC's don't "connect" with admissions etc.

Check my MDAPPS for other options

Appreciate the kind words. After taking another look, I think Boston and Tufts are good, so I'll add them to my list.

Are you going to be applying again this cycle?

Yup but I'll be applying with a 3.65 and a terrible grade decline lol (2.85 senior yr fall semester)

Ah well good luck, hope it works out better for you this time around!

Thanks. Have my ecs summarized in my profile and descriptions in a blog post. I just absolutely loved the things I did which made it really easy.

If you're still looking to cut your list, consider picking the 8 or so reach schools that are your favorites and cutting the rest. Or just do a gut check, go down the list and bold the reach schools that you feel you must apply to or you would be disappointed, based on school specifics, location, etc. then see which ones are not bolded and cut those.

People certainly apply to 30+ schools, but as you said that's a lot of time and money. You also have a strong app so you probably don't need to apply to 30 schools, just don't cut the matches and safeties because you want to play the process as safe as possible.